1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to change the Vocoder setting on a Sprint 700WX from EVRC to 13k?

I have searched this forum and so far nobody ever posted a way to do it. Is it possible? I know I've done this on my past phones, but never on a PDA/WM5 phone.
    QPST software will let you do this, but it is a process.
    I have not found any way to that part of the radio settings menu on the device itself and I've searched a LOT!
    *(It was easy with my 6600,6700 and ip830w)
    Best regards,
    Austin A. Brady
  3.    #3  
    So its not a WM5 thing, its obviously a Palm thing. Hmm.
    I'd be interested in finding this setting on the 700w as well.
    Thanks
  5.    #5  
    I know this thread is a little old, but has anyone ever figured out a way to change this?

On my MotoQ, I just have to go to ##DATA# and change it in there.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but has anyone ever figured out a way to change this?

On my MotoQ, I just have to go to ##DATA# and change it in there.

This would be great, it was so easy to change on my Moto E815 and v710

but for some reason its giving me a headache on the treo

i have searched for a long time, found alot of forum post.. but they were just like this; asking about it, with no solution.
    Out of curiosity, what would changing it from EVRC to 13k do?

I assume the vocoder has to do with sound quality/processing?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Out of curiosity, what would changing it from EVRC to 13k do?

I assume the vocoder has to do with sound quality/processing?

alot of good things actually !!

all devices are at EVRC by default; which is only a 8kbs codec. While the quality is good, there is still that digital hiss in the background we all get use to over time. 8kbs is still not enough to cover the full range of the human voice.

however with 13k (13kbs codec) we get crisper sound, it picks up the nuances in our voice.

besides just better quality, you get a higher singal strength aswell.

I live in a very low signal strength area for sprint; I see normally 1 - 2 bars.

by switching to 13k i will be pulling more data from the towers, giving me a better connection and about 3 - 4 bars.

other benifits, less dropped calls.

with 8kbs (evrc) when there are errors in the bit stream your call gets cut off, or sometimes dropped.

with 13kbs when there are errors in the bit stream you voice just sounds a little robotic for a second or two, and then jumps back to normal.

still understandable, and no having to call the person back.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it can be done on the Treo. We did on the 6700 and Moto Q and other devices, but those also allow you to change the SCI (Slot Cycle Index) which we also can't do on the Treo either.

Essentially we're missing the deeper network programming page, which from what I understand is not something we can't find but rather something that just doesn't exist on this device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Wow, I didn't know any of this. I live in an equally crappy reception area, airibis, and this would be great... oh well.

Please please please... someone find a way...! (I know, forget about it.)
    END OF LINE
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    Wow, I didn't know any of this. I live in an equally crappy reception area, airibis, and this would be great... oh well.

Please please please... someone find a way...! (I know, forget about it.)
    Well I don't know about it pulling more bars (or a better RSSI), but I remember doing this on my old phone and I didn't have as many dropped calls. On the Q, I haven't noticed any difference in bars, I still get about 2 where I work and live.

EDIT: It just really sucks about the Treo. While I know it won't get as good of reception as the Q, I was hoping that it might stop all the dropped calls I was getting. I've been very happy with my Q, even without the touchscreen. The only thing I really miss is a good GPS program. I used iGuidance v3 then v4 on the Treo, but unfortunately its not available for the smartphone yet. iGuidance v4 seemed like the only GPS app that had complete maps for my area, especially my new subdivision.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by austinabrady View Post
    QPST software will let you do this, but it is a process.
    I have QPST, can you briefly explain how to use it to change vocoder?

Thanks.
    I don't know about the windows version, does it have the same menus as the palm version?

with the 755p if you dial ##DATA# (or ##3282#) it brings up a confirguartion screen. If you then press menu and go to advanced, the first line says Vocoder EVRC: .....1.
    Last edited by albertb; 10/12/2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typed the number inccorectly
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    we're not so lucky with WM5 menus. Real PITA.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    I don't know about the windows version, does it have the same menus as the palm version?

with the 755p if you dial ##DATA# (or ##3283#) it brings up a confirguartion screen. If you then press menu and go to advanced, the first line says Vocoder EVRC: .....1.
    We have an Advanced button on that screen but I don't currently have the MSL for that phone, so I can't get into it lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post

with the 755p if you dial ##DATA# (or ##3283#) it brings up a confirguartion screen. If you then press menu and go to advanced, the first line says Vocoder EVRC: .....1.
    It's actually ##3282#

That will allow you to change the HA address but nothing for vocoder on Sprint 700wx. Old info.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17.    #17  
    I guess nobody has figured out a way to change the Slot Cycle Index or the Vocoder for the 700wx yet? I was using the Q for a while, but now I found my way back to the Treo lol.