Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I swore I'd never do it.. but in the 6 months I've had the phone, I've dropped it three times. Once on the concrete floor in my basement from 5 feet up, once on granite floor about 3 feet from the ground, and once onto tile from 4 feet up.

I've been lucky so far, the phone still works without issue (knock on wood). I was wondering what would be the best protection from accidental dropping, besides the insurance from Sprint? I'm very careful with my things, but the 700WX just likes to slip out of my hands. I know there's some skins that will make it less slippery, will they help cushion a fall, too?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jedis; 05/02/2007 at 12:50 PM.
    I use a Krusell leather case that works great for protection (learned that the hard way). There are many skins that have a lot of traction, and a few hard cases that advertize the 'best' protection....just go into the shop here, and you will see quite a selection. If you want just traction, I would suggest a skin.

P.S. I find getting all the melted butter from my popcorn off me hands before a call works great as well!!!!
    3 times? Mine has gone skidding across floors, parking lots, concrete, grass, pretty much everything. I'd venture it's had ~75 drops. Works fine.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    A leather case would bring you the best protection. It will abosrve allot of shock and protect from scratches. Skins only protect from scratches, but will not absorb any shock. Unfortunately, a leather case is rather bulky. Since I have Equipment protection, I opted for the Seido rubberized hard case, which does well against scratches and so far has been protecting my Treo against drops.
    I'm needlessly and obsessively anal about my Treo so I've tried all the cases; the rubberized skins, the leather cases, the Invisible Shield, the Palm hard case, etc.

The case I use everyday is also the cheapest. It's the Body Glove Neoprene Mesh Cellsuit available on this site for under $20.

Because it has a clear front I can see what's going on, which means I actually use the case instead of just deciding it's too much trouble. It has a texture like a wetsuit to it's not slippery.

The way it's stitched it has for, for lack of a better word, a neoprene 'bumper' that protects all of it's surfaces. I don't drop mine a lot, but when I do it's a good one - and I have zero scratches.
    i had the seidio rubberized hard case and every time i dropped my treo from hip height- it would just pop off, my treo would bounce and then hit the ground again, scratching it up... i wouldn't recommend it for protection from drops... to make matters worse- the case's small slimsy clips broke after only 2 weeks...
    the best protection from drops is an otterbox- but you're not going to be using a treo in an otter all the time, so it's not a goog solution for every day use...
    like everyone said- a full leather case will probably be your best bet... however a silicone skin will help guard from scratches which is what you really should be worried about. i've dropped previous treos countless times and they always work, they just end up looking ugly with all the scratches.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I would look into bestskinsever. it give protection from scratches and adds some gippyness (is that a word ?) to it. I drop it a lot less.

won't help much from impact but will save on scratches and dings.

best part... no added bulk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum View Post
    i had the seidio rubberized hard case and every time i dropped my treo from hip height- it would just pop off, my treo would bounce and then hit the ground again, scratching it up... i wouldn't recommend it for protection from drops... to make matters worse- the case's small slimsy clips broke after only 2 weeks...
    the best protection from drops is an otterbox- but you're not going to be using a treo in an otter all the time, so it's not a goog solution for every day use...
    like everyone said- a full leather case will probably be your best bet... however a silicone skin will help guard from scratches which is what you really should be worried about. i've dropped previous treos countless times and they always work, they just end up looking ugly with all the scratches.
    I've dropped my phone on concrete a few times. I was dissappointed that the case would break apart each time. Later I realized, that it actually helped absorbed the shock of the drop. Each time it broke apart, I was able to snap it back together.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I would look into bestskinsever. it give protection from scratches and adds some gippyness (is that a word ?) to it. I drop it a lot less.

won't help much from impact but will save on scratches and dings.

best part... no added bulk
    I like the bestskinsever as well. I only recently removed my 2nd set. Now my phone goes all over the place when I set it on the passenger's seat when driving. Didn't do that before with BSE. Guess I need to go with a 3rd set or something else now...