Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Hello all!

I am been lurking on this site for the past 2 weeks awaiting that blasted fedex truck

well, i received my treo 700wx today with the sero plan, and have a few questions.

I have no background with Palm products, but how do i shut off my phone?

when i press and hold the power button it takes me off the sprint network, and when i just press it, it puts me in this standby like mode.

in the Contacts area i am having a bit of a problem.

When I enter a friends name, let's say "Matt Smith"; it comes up as "Smith, Matt"

I understand that may be very helpful for some, but Is there anyway to just have it order, and read out as "Matt Smith"?

also

I am just wondering does the phone shut down? (i seen images of people who modded the shell for the phone and have a shut down restart option)

(one last thing! (sorry sorry!) I am very computer savvy but am having trouble installing software onto my treo; do i do it on the phone itself, or on the pc
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Hello all!

I am been lurking on this site for the past 2 weeks awaiting that blasted fedex truck

well, i received my treo 700wx today with the sero plan, and have a few questions.

when i press and hold the power button it takes me off the sprint network, and when i just press it, it puts me in this standby like mode.
    Yep, that's it. It's never really truly off.

When I enter a friends name, let's say "Matt Smith"; it comes up as "Smith, Matt"

I understand that may be very helpful for some, but Is there anyway to just have it order, and read out as "Matt Smith"?
    Dunno. Someone smart will answer that for you.

Alternate response: "You will use Outlook the way we designed it and you will LIKE IT!" signed, Bill Gates.

also

I am just wondering does the phone shut down? (i seen images of people who modded the shell for the phone and have a shut down restart option)
    It is never really off. You just have dialtone or not. This took some brain rearranging for me but eventually I decided that it was acceptable to me and granted Palm a full dispensation and pardon for all sins -- past, present, and future. This is why you can use your Treo as an alarm clock, for instance.

(one last thing! (sorry sorry!) I am very computer savvy but am having trouble installing software onto my treo; do i do it on the phone itself, or on the pc
    You'll either download software to your computer (if it is a zip file or a .exe file), and install from there, or you can install software directly to your 700wx (if it is a .cab file).

I recommend that you look at the Threaded SMS threads and install this first. Tremendous. Then go wild. I got the 700wx and the SERO plan in February and both are great. Welcome to TC.
    If you put the full name into the "first name" field, it will be displayed all together, as you might envision it. This oddity (as compared to typical cell phones) threw me at first too. However, I now see that it doesn't make much difference, since the search features of the 700wx are so good. If you just start entering whatever letters you remember of the entire name, say "Barbara Rumplestein", just type in barb, she'll appear. Just type in Rum, she'll appear (along with Fred Rumberger). Anyway, the search features are so good I quit worrying about it

-Frank
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Thank you so much for you help!

^^;; problem with the threaded SMS is, I am not a big texter (i would rather use AIM or Email)

is it possible to use aim or email with out being considered a text by sprint?

i am worried about they jumping my bones with text charges (i came from verizon, so i had a few text bill nightmares with that service)
    You can buy a bundle of 300 text messages for $5.00 if that helps. That's what I did. This doesn't help you if you text to overseas, though.
    Email does not count as text to answer one of your questions. If you do want some texting, call up Sprint retentions and try to get 500 free text. Tell them your old provider gave it to you free (that's what I did). I was within my 30-day trial period, so I had some leverage and it worked.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    5$ for 300 isn't that bad at all (being a college student i heard there was some kind of deal they can make)

I would rather IM with AIM than text though, i did a search on here, but seems like all the aim programs for the phone count as texts

anyways to just run an AIM IM app that has no connection to texting?
    Octro is in beta, but uses data rather than texts. There is a retrofitted 2003 mobile version made to work on WM5 which uses data as well.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...80&postcount=7
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Octro is in beta, but uses data rather than texts. There is a retrofitted 2003 mobile version made to work on WM5 which uses data as well.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...80&postcount=7
    Thanks for the link! the aim is working well *crosses fingers that it wont charge for text*
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hello all!

also

When entering names on a ppc enter it like this. Matt Smith,
    enter the comma after the last name and it will sort by the first name. You can still look up by last name if you want.
    5$ for 300 isn't that bad at all (being a college student i heard there was some kind of deal they can make)
    There is a deal for college students, if you bring your college ID into a corprate Sprint store you can get 300 texts a month for free. I did this about two weeks ago and had no problems getting it.
    I should go back to college to get deals like that and the discounts from Apple, MSFT, etc.