1.    #1  
    I just got a new Seidio 3200mah battery and trying to get that 5-6 cycles as quickly as possible. I'm working on my 4th cycle now currently draining the power by running AIM, IRC and streaming video on Orb. Any other way to get the drain quicker to get those full cycles?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Use bluetooth.
    - Turn on Bluetooth
    - Turn on Infrared
    - Keep the data connection active. You can use Weatherpanel and have it automatically update frequently.
    - Keep the brightness level as high as possible
    - Change Power settings to not turn off the device on battery power.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 04/28/2007 at 02:29 AM.
    Deep cycling a Li-ion battery will damage it. These aren't NiCad batteries. They have no "memory." Lithium batteries should always be topped off and should never be allowed to discharge.
    The manufacturers instructions are to deep-cycle 5-6 times.

When I got mine I overclocked it and did all of the above, so was able to cycle it fairly quickly.
    A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
    Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...n-battery2.htm

Charge daily and often
    Many users plug their Palm devices into a power source for at least 30 minutes a day. If you use certain features heavily (check email, browse web, watch movies, listen to music) , you may need to charge it longer or more frequently.
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Case=obj(30425)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    This is fun watching. I don't believe the OP was asking the best way to deep discharge the battery. No where was a deep discharge mentioned except by you. It is recommended to drain a new battery fully (when you get the low battery indicator not a deep discharge) a few times before putting it on charge to condition the battery. After that you can put it on charge whenever you feel like without having to worry. Although I think trying to do this intentionally as quick as possible is a little bit anal. Of course spending the day searching for articles to prove a point about batteries would also be anal if not a little bit scary. Personally, I charge my battery every night from day one and have never had any issues.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I have severe battery issues. I just got my 700wx last week and my battery has died on me every day. I've been using smartphones since the T300 came out and I've NEVER had a battery like this. If this continues, I'm going to have to return the phone to Sprint.

I get so lost in the "memory" vs. "no memory" stuff...here's what I know, the battery life of the 700wx is completely and utterly pathetic so far. I'm going to give it another week, but I can't have my phone charging half of every day. I bought a WIRELESS phone so that I wouldn't have to take a wall with A/C power with me everywhere I go.

I haven't even tried to use BT yet.
    Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> PPC 6700 --> Treo 700wx --> Samsung Instinct --> Palm Pre