Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I found this website that shows you how to monitor the exchange activesync communication. I have set the System Monitor Control to monitor the Ping Commands.Sec, Ping Commands Dropped/Sec, Ping Heartbeat Interval, and Sync Commands/sec. From what I can see there are only a few Ping Commands being dropped. After watching it for almost an hour I only saw one drop packet.

After reading something things on the Internet about heartbeat intervals I saw were most people were saying that there was around 480. From my performance monitor its telling me the average is around 900. Does anyone know if this is right, if not how can I fix it?

Thanks,
    -Joey

Oh yeah here a couple of links on how to setup the System Monitor Control is anyone isn't sure on how to do it.

This part first:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5073570.html

Then this part:
    http://www.internetaccessmonitor.com...technology.php

Can someone post their Last Heartbeat Interval?
    The aggravating thing is that Verizon/Palm point the finger at the server, yet the IT guys point the finger at the phone. Dargghhhhh
    UPDATE: Offered my IT department a reward to fix this for me. I forgot to mention in this forum that I noticed that direct push on my device would work in the middle of the night but not during the day. Using this query my IT department found a post on some other board about a guy that had this problem that call MS Support and paid several hudred dollars for a resolution. He posted a workaround which my IT department tried. THEY ALSO COMPLETELY REBUILT THE FRONT END OF THE EXCHANGE SERVER. After the rubuild and applying this workaround, the device is direct pushing sporadically around every 10 minutes or so after an email arrives in my mailbox. Obviously, this is not working properly but its an improvement from not getting direct push at all during daytime hours. We are going to see if the sync interval improves over the next few days and then I will report back. I asked my IT guy to forward a link to the fix that he installed so that I can post it here. Once I have it, I will post it. But dont get your hopes up because while its an improvement, Im still not up and running with real time push. There is a 10 -12 minute delay. Not sure why?????

Anyone with any ideas at this point or fresh information, please post.
    If you could please have your IT department give you the links so that I may see what they found. Although this might not solve my problem it may lead me in new directions that I have not thought of.

One thing that I would like to update on my case is how some different phones work on the network. Interesting enough I found out that a Motorola Q works just fine. There is also one other person that has the Treo 700WX that travels all the time and he has the same issues that I am having. So I can pretty much rule out the fact that its a data connection problem, so this leaves the phone or the exchange server.

If I could just figure out which one is the culprit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    -Joey
    Last edited by joey304; 05/18/2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rshamie View Post
    UPDATE: Offered my IT department a reward to fix this for me. I forgot to mention in this forum that I noticed that direct push on my device would work in the middle of the night but not during the day. Using this query my IT department found a post on some other board about a guy that had this problem that call MS Support and paid several hudred dollars for a resolution. He posted a workaround which my IT department tried. THEY ALSO COMPLETELY REBUILT THE FRONT END OF THE EXCHANGE SERVER. After the rubuild and applying this workaround, the device is direct pushing sporadically around every 10 minutes or so after an email arrives in my mailbox. Obviously, this is not working properly but its an improvement from not getting direct push at all during daytime hours. We are going to see if the sync interval improves over the next few days and then I will report back. I asked my IT guy to forward a link to the fix that he installed so that I can post it here. Once I have it, I will post it. But dont get your hopes up because while its an improvement, Im still not up and running with real time push. There is a 10 -12 minute delay. Not sure why?????

Anyone with any ideas at this point or fresh information, please post.

Did they give you the link yet??? Trying to get it to work....
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    Did they give you the link yet??? Trying to get it to work....
    No I haven't heard anything back from them. Nice pic by the way!

I have become pretty convinced that this is a problem with the data connection on the phone. Not sure if it a problem with my phone or a problem with the software installed by VZW. The Exchange Server is working correctly it maybe be that it doesn't like the Treo 700WX but I'm sure that its the phone. The reason that I say this is because I have noticed the Internet on the phone not working like it should. Sometimes when I go to a website it will sit there saying that its connection and I have to hit stop and refresh a couple of times for it starts to work. Its almost like even thou the screen up top is telling me that the data connection is connected its really not.

I would love to find a way to test this theory out so if anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Here is the fix that my IT department used to get the device working sporadically. While it's better than what i had (no pushat all), it is still pretty much useless because ts completely random now as to when I will get a push from the server. It works out to about 10 to 12 minutes after the email arrives in my inbox (when its working). Sometimes, I still gont get it at all. Try it out and let me know if it works for anyone (either fully or just sporadically)

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive35-2005-12-262517.html
    Here is the fix that my IT department used to get the device working sporadically. While it's better than what i had (no pushat all), it is still pretty much useless because ts completely random now as to when I will get a push from the server. It works out to about 10 to 12 minutes after the email arrives in my inbox (when its working). Sometimes, I still gont get it at all. Try it out and let me know if it works for anyone (either fully or just sporadically)

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive35-2005-12-262517.html
    Yeah tried that as well with no luck .

rshamie are you having trouble getting your phone to connect to the Internet? Mine will sit there and say locating and I have to hit stop and refresh a couple of time to get it started. Like I said earlier it almost like the data connection really isn't connected.

Let me know if you find anything new.
    Thanks Joey!

I'm going to try this now. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Since I'm trying to connect a 700p, I really don't know if my problem is on the Exchange side or the Palm side.
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey304 View Post
    Yeah tried that as well with no luck .

rshamie are you having trouble getting your phone to connect to the Internet? Mine will sit there and say locating and I have to hit stop and refresh a couple of time to get it started. Like I said earlier it almost like the data connection really isn't connected.

Let me know if you find anything new.
    Joey, No, not having any trouble connecting. My issue is that push delivery now is very sporadic during daytime hours and at night, it seems to work from about 12am to 8:30 AM. As soon as work hours start, I stop getting pushed. VERY STRANGE. At this point, we've tried every troubleshooting step we can think of. Extremely frustrated.
    UPDATE: I put a call into Palm support last Thursday and they escalated this issue to level II support (whatever that means). I asked them to review this message board to get up to speed with all the things we've tried. Well, I finally got a callback from someone today. Unfortunately, they were as clueless to the cause as are we. They asked that I switch the logging option to verbose and then email it to: support.palm@gmail.com. I suggest everyone with this issue do the same. Maybe they will be able to see what our devices are doing differently than devices that work properly. I also asked, where do we go from here? They said that they have a weekly meeting on Thursday's where issues get brough up and that this issue would be one of the topics that was discussed (hopefully that was not bs). Im assuming that they are the only ones who can request support from Microsoft on this. Hopefully Microsoft or Palm can figure this out for us and we can get some relief from this agony. I know that I personally have spent way too much time on this........
    Update: Palm called me back. They have no idea what is causing this problem. They are referring me directly to Microsoft and Im supposed to get a call back today. I have a temporary workaround that is working for me. You will need resco explorer to access the registry. Here are the steps:

1. Launch Resco Explorer
    2. Click the up key until you see the My Registry Icon and Expand the folder
    3. Open Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\activesync
    4. Find the key named MinHeartbeat
    5. Click on the key and change the value from the default to 240.
    6. Find the key named InitialHeartbeat
    7. Click on the key and change the value from the default to 480

Thats it. Your device should start syncing now. While this seems to work. It most certainly has a negative effect on battery life and Microsoft does not recommend changing the minimum heartbeat to less than 480.
    Update: Palm called me back. They have no idea what is causing this problem. They are referring me directly to Microsoft and Im supposed to get a call back today. I have a temporary workaround that is working for me. You will need resco explorer to access the registry. Here are the steps:

1. Launch Resco Explorer
    2. Click the up key until you see the My Registry Icon and Expand the folder
    3. Open Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\activesync
    4. Find the key named MinHeartbeat
    5. Click on the key and change the value from the default to 240.
    6. Find the key named InitialHeartbeat
    7. Click on the key and change the value from the default to 480

Thats it. Your device should start syncing now. While this seems to work. It most certainly has a negative effect on battery life and Microsoft does not recommend changing the minimum heartbeat to less than 480.

Please let us know what they say.

Thanks,
    Joey

Thanks,
    Joey
    I will. Please let me know if my temporary workaround works for you.
    It worked for me! You were right about battery drain, however. But at least it's something to go on.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks,
    Joey
    The level II technician from Palm called me back and said that he suspects this problem has something to network latency on Verizons end. I notified Verizon and they said that they were going to do some tests and possibly re-provision my account. I gave them my brothers phone number (which is working fine - same phone, server, etc) so that they could use it as a working baseline.

There might be some merit to this theory because the logs indicate that the device can ping the server but that many times the server cannot ping the device. this would indicate that its some type of connectivity issue.

I will post any new info that I receive.

PS - no luck getting Microsoft involved as the Palm rep said I would have to call them directly.
    The level II technician from Palm called me back and said that he suspects this problem has something to network latency on Verizons end. I notified Verizon and they said that they were going to do some tests and possibly re-provision my account. I gave them my brothers phone number (which is working fine - same phone, server, etc) so that they could use it as a working baseline.

There might be some merit to this theory because the logs indicate that the device can ping the server but that many times the server cannot ping the device. this would indicate that its some type of connectivity issue.

I will post any new info that I receive.

PS - no luck getting Microsoft involved as the Palm rep said I would have to call them directly.
    Yes this is the same problem that I am having. Its nothing to do with the exchange server it the data connection on the phone. It seems the the phone can ping the exchange server just fine it the exchange server talking back to the phone that the packet gets dropped.

I would love to get a level two technician on the phone from Verizon. Every time I call they tell me they will not escalate me to the next level unless I take a refurb phone. This is total BS . If you can get me a phone number that would be great.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Yes this is the same problem that I am having. Its nothing to do with the exchange server it the data connection on the phone. It seems the the phone can ping the exchange server just fine it the exchange server talking back to the phone that the packet gets dropped.

I would love to get a level two technician on the phone from Verizon. Every time I call they tell me they will not escalate me to the next level unless I take a refurb phone. This is total BS . If you can get me a phone number that would be great.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Joey, please call them back and tell them that you are not the only one with this problem. please reference Ticket # NRB000001650575. Tell them that I have already gone through 2 refurbs and 2 new WX's, none of which solved the problem. This should convince them that sending you an RB is pointless.

The more people that complain about the same issue should convince them that there is a legitimate problem and we might get it fixed.
    One other question .........

if the problem is Verizon, then why would my phone work fine when I connected to the free mail2web account? Could they only be blocking the ping on certain accounts from certain servers?
    One other question .........

if the problem is Verizon, then why would my phone work fine when I connected to the free mail2web account? Could they only be blocking the ping on certain accounts from certain servers?
    Good question I have not tried the free mail2web account. I still have a lot of problems get my phone to connect to the internet. All it keeps telling me is locating or connecting at the bottom of the web page. Another thing that mine keeps doing is stopping at 10% when sending a picture message. It will timeout and I will have to hit resend 4 or 5 times to get it to go.

Take a look at this thread with people having the same problems.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=143936

Do you have these same problems?

Thanks,
    Joey
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast