Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rshamie View Post
    Forgot to mention in my last post that I did try creating a new exchange account. Same deal. No direct push. It will receive emails on its own sporadically but not in real time
    Are you on a W or WX?

After a remote-wipe, did you do a restore of any old settings or just reset the Exchange relationship from scratch.

Not that I've ever tried this, but what about setting up one of the "free" push Exchange server accounts as a test (mail2web)? Just to see if it's the device or the exchange server (at least it would take your exchange server out of the equation if a 3rd party server causes the same problems)
    I have the same problem with the Treo 700WX. I have done a hard reset and a remote wipe with no luck in getting the direct push to work correctly all the time. It seems that mine will work for an hour or so then all of a sudden I will not get emails from the direct push until 30, 45 min to an hour later. This is really strange and like you Mixman I seem to keep reading more and more about this problem but no one has an answer to it. It's hard to figure out if its the exchange or the phone. I have other people in the company that use the same phone that don't have any problem. It seems the Motorola Q works just fine with our exchange server.

I have a little tweak that did seem to help me out some. I created a new account for my home. I set this up on my phone to check every 10 mins. This seems to keep the connection alive and most of my emails come in on time now. The only problem with this is that I get message every now and then saying something about it's not able to connect to download new messages.

I think that there something going on with the data connection that will not allow the exchange to send the ping command back to the phone to let it know to go ahead and activate the sync. It's like the data connection says that it's connected but really isn't working.

Hopefully someone will have the answer to this problem very soon.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Joey, when you say you created a new account to check every 10 min..........is this a pop account? Also, Im now wondering if all the people have this issue might have installed some third party application that may have created this problem. Maybe if we all have something in common, it might isolate the problem. Here are the lists of apps that i had installed on my working device when it started experiencing the problem with direct push.

Opera browser
    Ewallet
    Galaga
    Google maps
    Handango In hand
    IM+
    pocket lease calculator
    mRing
    PDA.net
    Picsel PDF viewer
    Pocket Informant
    Pocket Quicken
    Resco Media Suite (includes, explorer, photo viewer, radio, and recorder)
    Roboform
    SBSH Pocket Weather
    Sling
    Soft Reset
    Sprite Backup
    TCMP
    Threaded SMS

Everone, please post your list.........
    Mixman,

Im using a treo 700W. Im going to try that free account and let you know.
    Joey, when you say you created a new account to check every 10 min..........is this a pop account? Also, Im now wondering if all the people have this issue might have installed some third party application that may have created this problem. Maybe if we all have something in common, it might isolate the problem. Here are the lists of apps that i had installed on my working device when it started experiencing the problem with direct push.

Opera browser
    Ewallet
    Galaga
    Google maps
    Handango In hand
    IM+
    pocket lease calculator
    mRing
    PDA.net
    Picsel PDF viewer
    Pocket Informant
    Pocket Quicken
    Resco Media Suite (includes, explorer, photo viewer, radio, and recorder)
    Roboform
    SBSH Pocket Weather
    Sling
    Soft Reset
    Sprite Backup
    TCMP
    Threaded SMS

Everone, please post your list.........
    Sorry I should have been more clear on that. Yes this is just a simple pop account that I setup with my home ISP. As for the list of programs installed mine was doing this with nothing but the basic stuff that came with the phone. I have since installed things just because I know the problem is not related to any software that I have installed.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Well, I signed up fro a free web2mail exchange account and it worked FLAWLESSLY on the same phone that is not working with my company's server. Emails were delivered to the phone in about 30 seconds, somtimes less. So, now I'm even more confused that before because Im the only one in the company having this problem! While I know it has something to do with our company server, there are still problems with that assumption. This is because I created a test account on our server and this account still would not push. That rules out the possiblity that it is something corrupt in my mailbox but doesnt answer the question why others in the company have no problem with direct push.

I just dont know what to try now......
    That's strange that it works. I might have to try the same thing with my phone and see what happens. How long have you been trying this account out. Like I said sometimes mine will work for a hours then it will just stop working for awhile.

Let me know if you find anything else out.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Joey, same goes for you ,if you can shed light on this please let me know. mail2web free account is working fine now for hours.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    rshamie - check your PM.

I've got a few of the same programs installed, but I don't think it's a 3rd party issue. My problem only happens at one certain location (so I do feel for you folks having the problem everywhere!). So what happens if you clear out the mail2web account and put your work Exchange info back in?
    UPDATE: I was able to get Verizon to upgrade my phone to the WX. Brand NEW phone has same problem. No direct push. Direct push works using mail2web free account. Direct push does not work using my company's exhange server (my account or a newly created test account). Other users with Treos in my company do not have this problem. Direct push is working fine for them.

Anyone have a gun? I would like to blow my brains out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish I did have an answer. This make no sense at all. I would just like to know where to point the blame at. This happens it all locations, with a new phone, no programs installed, but direct push works for other people in the company.

I did find out that one of my other users who as a Treo 700WX is having some of the same troubles. So could this be the exchange server or the phone setup with VZW?

This problem is driving me crazy

Joey
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    rshamie - check your PM.

I've got a few of the same programs installed, but I don't think it's a 3rd party issue. My problem only happens at one certain location (so I do feel for you folks having the problem everywhere!). So what happens if you clear out the mail2web account and put your work Exchange info back in?
    If i clear out the mail2web account, and put in company settings, problem RETURNS. Its soooo discouraging.
    I am having the very same problem. About two weeks ago the email just stopped showing up, but will if I initiate a sync. I just did a hard reset yesterday, to no avail.

After reading all of the posts, I think an examination of how the whole thing works. Does anyone know for sure the exact steps that take place from both the server's side and the Treo's side? If we had that maybe we could start to chip away at the problem.

Without knowing for sure, I thought it was the server's responsibility to let the Treo know it was time to sync, and then the Treo would do it. However, why would one device work with the server and not another? The main problem I have is no access to the settings of the server so I'm really not sure what is available and what could be changed.

I'm almost ready to call Verizon, but I'm sure that will be an ultimately fruitless endeavour...
    The whole process if pretty simple once you understand it. Here are a couple of sites where you can read on how all the steps work in the direct push technology. I sure that there are many more out there but this will give you a good understanding of how the everything works with the system and the phone.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...03/424028.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sol....mspx?mfr=true

-Joey
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    At least rshamie got a WX out of this mess!

I hate to say it, but it sounds like it's time for a $175 support call to MS on the Exchange server. Do any of you who are having the problem have any sort of a corporate support contract you could use? If so, by all means do it. If you can get an MS tech on the line, they're usually very good (if they speak English that is).
    I don't know if your problems are related, but I had something similar happening and it turned out to be the timeout setting in IIS on the echange server. The treo will try to keep a connection open with IIS, but the heartbeat is configured to be UP TO 15 minutes. The default timeout for IIS is only like 5 minutes, so if the Treo would wait 10 minutes to send heartbeat then the connection would have been dropped by IIS and that seems to confuse the Treo, as it usually won't re-initiate a connection unless prompted to manually, or when leaving a call if in 1x area.

I set mine to 960 seconds (16 minutes) since the Treo can take UP TO 15 minutes to send the heartbeat. This solved my problem immediately and it's been working for about 3 weeks with no issues. Before, it would frequently lose the connection and then if I wasn't using the phone hours could go by without the Treo receiving new email. It would only start working again if I manually sync'd it, or if I made a call. (since I'm in a 1x area, the treo automatically syncs when I hangup the phone after a call)

It would be nice if WM5 had a setting to recieve items as they arrive, but also force it to try every hour or something like that. That would help with issues like these were the exchange server is overloaded or you have poor signal for long periods of time.

Anyway, let me know if that helped.
    Forgot to mention in my last post that I did try creating a new exchange account. Same deal. No direct push. It will receive emails on its own sporadically but not in real time
    This commonly happens on Treo's when a sync gets screwed up. The fix that works 90% of the time is to go to ActiveSync on your Treo, Select Menu and then Options. Uncheck the box next to the Inbox entry. The Treo will inform you that all mail will be removed from your device. Say ok to this and wait until it completes. Now soft reset your phone (Pull out battery, use reset hole next to battery, software utility, etc.)

When the phone is fully rebooted go back in and re-check box next to the Inbox entry. Your mail will redownload and syncing should "magically" be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    I don't know if your problems are related, but I had something similar happening and it turned out to be the timeout setting in IIS on the echange server. The treo will try to keep a connection open with IIS, but the heartbeat is configured to be UP TO 15 minutes. The default timeout for IIS is only like 5 minutes, so if the Treo would wait 10 minutes to send heartbeat then the connection would have been dropped by IIS and that seems to confuse the Treo, as it usually won't re-initiate a connection unless prompted to manually, or when leaving a call if in 1x area.

I set mine to 960 seconds (16 minutes) since the Treo can take UP TO 15 minutes to send the heartbeat. This solved my problem immediately and it's been working for about 3 weeks with no issues. Before, it would frequently lose the connection and then if I wasn't using the phone hours could go by without the Treo receiving new email. It would only start working again if I manually sync'd it, or if I made a call. (since I'm in a 1x area, the treo automatically syncs when I hangup the phone after a call)

It would be nice if WM5 had a setting to recieve items as they arrive, but also force it to try every hour or something like that. That would help with issues like these were the exchange server is overloaded or you have poor signal for long periods of time.

Anyway, let me know if that helped.

Milenko I sure hope that you have found a fix for my problems. I check the ISS settings on the exchange server and it was set for a timeout of 120 seconds. I changed this to what you have suggested to the 960 seconds (15 min). I am in the middle of testing right now, as soon as I find out something I will post back and let everyone else know.

What is everyone else set at?

Thanks,
    -Joey
    I'm not sure what ours was set at, but I sent our IT guy the post about changing the timeout to 960 seconds. He did that and advised me to turn off my phone for 30 seconds and then it should be good. I did so, and there is no difference in behaviour.

Should I do a hard reset and see if that matters? I hope not to...
    I changed mine and I'm still getting the same results. I would think that a hard-reset would help much, but how knows at this point.

I'm ready to toss this thing in the river!

I really think that problem is with the data connection. I have noticed that the SPB weather program will not do an automatic update as well. It is set to do this every 5 hours but when looking at the phone there has not been an update in days.

There has to be an answer for this.

-Joey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast