1.    #1  
    I've done the reg hack so that cabs aren't automatically deleted after a desktop installation of an application. Where are the cabs stored? I've looked all over the place.

The hack is:
    HKLM\software\apps\microsoft\ application installer\ndynamicdelete = 0 (dword decimal) to restore switch to 2
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Hmm... I just did my first .CAB installation (for the DST time zone fix) on my 700wx. All I did was to download the .CAB from MS to my PC, hook up my sync cable, and copy the file from my PC to a directory of my choice on the Treo (I put it in a directory under the Personal folder). I ran it on the phone by clicking on it in file manager on the device. After installation, it is still there. I've done no hacks.

I'm pretty new at the Treo so I may be missing your point. Have you tried searching for it via the file system?

-Frank
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    Hmm... I just did my first .CAB installation (for the DST time zone fix) on my 700wx. All I did was to download the .CAB from MS to my PC, hook up my sync cable, and copy the file from my PC to a directory of my choice on the Treo (I put it in a directory under the Personal folder). I ran it on the phone by clicking on it in file manager on the device. After installation, it is still there. I've done no hacks.

I'm pretty new at the Treo so I may be missing your point. Have you tried searching for it via the file system?

-Frank

That's different. If you run an installation file from the desktop (an exe). It installs the cab on the treo, runs it, and then deletes it. Some applications are only available as things you can install from a desktop. They don't make cab installation a possibility. You have to double click and launch the file on the computer. If you drag the file to the Treo you won't be able to run it. The upside to saving cabs is that you can put them on your storage card and then be able to completely restore a phone via a card/without access to a desktop machine.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Check your Program Files\Activesync directory.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
    Check your Program Files\Activesync directory.
    didn't help.

I don't have program files\activesync
    I do have windows\activesync, but there are no cabs in the folder.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    The CABs on my PC are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync and then there are sub-directories for each application. The CABs are in those sub-directories.
    Not all apps install in the same place. Do a search under

C:\Program Files\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync

or if you still can't find it, do a search *.cab files on your PC.

This is why I hate PC installations and prefer .cab installs. I never know where the .cab is anyways and the PC install doesn't really do much, except usually just show some kind of readme or help file.
  8.    #8  
    I ran a search and couldn't find any of the .cab files. Can anyone verify that the reg hack works on the 700w?
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I actually noticed that my CABs are still there, even after desktop installation. Maybe that reg entry did the contrary and turned automatic deletion on?
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    didn't help.

I don't have program files\activesync
    I do have windows\activesync, but there are no cabs in the folder.
    Looks like there's some confusion here. Pibe, myself, and a few other people are pointing to C:\Program Files\Activesync. If you notice the C: in front, that denotes Drive C:, which is your computer (aka Personal Computer or PC or desktop), not your Treo. There is an \Windows\Activesync on my Treo 700wx.

So as you basically said above, if you do a PC installation, which is a .exe file from your PC. The next time your PC performs an Activesync, it copies the .cab file from your PC onto your device (Treo). Once the application is installed, it deletes the .cab file on your device (Treo).

IF you copy the .cab file directly to your device (Treo) and perform an install, the cab file will not be deleted and will remain in the same folder you copied it to.

If you did the PC (Personal computer) install using the .exe file and you still want to look for the .cab file, go to your PC (Personal Computer) NOT your TREO and do a search on .cab, which can usually be found on the directories under...
    C:\Program Files\
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync

(Please remember, the C: means this will be on your PC or desktop NOT your Treo)
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 04/27/2007 at 11:46 AM.
  11.    #11  
    It's like the C is invisible sometimes.
    Thanks so much.
    Found them all.
    Good deal. I knew it had to be somewhere and was just overlooked.