Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been lurking for a while now. I'm new to the whole PDA phone thing. I'd like a new PDA (current Palm IIIc user), and I already carry a Verizon phone (A670). The contracts up so I've been thinking about the Treos. Not sure if I want the P or the W, but I'm leaning towards the W since I'm familiar with windows and it seems to have more options in it.

Aside from obvious operating differences, are their issues / problems with one over the other? I know the P's have some issues I've read here.

As for the data plan. Not sure I really need it. I have messaging on my package now. Currently I can send a txtmsg to an email address, and viceversa. I assume I can still do this with the Treos. That's about all I really need in terms of "email". I'll most likely not do "real" email. I don't want to be THAT accessable really.

The thing I noticed with the P in the store is that when you press the phone button you get the phone instantly. With the W it went to a drop down (actually up in this case) and you had to pick something else to get to the dialpad. Is there a shortcut for this?
    Judging by your post, I think the P is the way for you. Palm OS is cleaner and more user friendly. the W, again IMO, is more for power/business users.
  3.    #3  
    Well I played with the W and it seems to have more options and seemed like it was going to play nicer with things like MP3's. I could actually see myself plugging the thing into the port of my truck for MP3's.

Not to mention I didn't much care for the things I read about the P. I guess I was really wondering if those things were overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by gpshemi View Post
    Well I played with the W and it seems to have more options and seemed like it was going to play nicer with things like MP3's. I could actually see myself plugging the thing into the port of my truck for MP3's.

Not to mention I didn't much care for the things I read about the P. I guess I was really wondering if those things were overrated.
    I think the P would be just as good. I believe it comes preloaded with Real player which also has its own music download store. Best advice, try each and go with the one you like best. VZW has a 15 day return policy.
    Have you played with a "P"? MP3s play fine on that one too...and I think it comes pre-loaded with Pocket Tunes.

If you're a previous Palm user, then you're already familiar with the Palm OS platform.
    I agree with the above, since you're already familar with the P, go with the P. You probably need to just upgrade the Palm Desktop on your PC, if it hasn't been already.

The nice thing about WM devices is the multi-tasking, but if it can cause some problems if you don't have enough memory available. You probably already know the issues with a Palm device.

I also used to have a Handspring Visor (Palm OS) and switched to iPaq H5555 (Windows Mobile). It took some getting used to, but I preferred WM over Palm, but that is my preference. Basically each has their advantages/disadvantages.

If you decide to go with Windows Mobile instead of Palm OS, I would look into installing Outlook 2003 or better and sync your Palm Desktop items with Outlook.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I agree with the above, since you're already familar with the P, go with the P.
    True, but you're assuming I like the Palm OS. hahaha....
    It's ok, but I feel like I could do more with a WM version.

I played with a friends PPC and I liked it a good bit. Which is the reason I was leaning towards the W.

I just wasn't sure if there was issues with the W more or less then what I've read about the P.

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    If you decide to go with Windows Mobile instead of Palm OS, I would look into installing Outlook 2003 or better and sync your Palm Desktop items with Outlook.

That's the other thing. It appears that PPC's only sync with Outlook and I'm not an Outlook user. I use Outlook express. I guess that's not a huge deal though. I forsee a day when my company mandates Outlook anyway.

What about tethering. I have tethered my A670 a few times using a USB cable and the VZ office kit software. Is that still possible (hack?) or are they going to hit me up for yet another $15 on top of the already pricey data package? (~$45). Seems stupid to have nearly $60 in that setup.

Also, what about me sending sms's to email addresses. Is that still possible.

You guys are great. Thanks.
    I got the impression you were looking to only do a lot of texting which is why I recommended the P. If you are familiar with windows and you know what you are doing then the WX is the way to go. No question.
    I got the impression he was familiar with WM from his PC, not a PDA...
  10.    #10  
    Sorry. I'm confusing you guys now too.

I have an old Palm IIIc. It works, but it's sorta blah. Also I see myself using the MP3 aspects of a newer style PDA.

I have a buddy with a PPC that I played with for a day or so and got comfortable with. Not too mention I'm an engineering department IT. So windows (and it's quirks) is something I'm use to.

I'd like to get just one device to carry and I'm not sure I'd use the data plan so long as I can keep my txt/pix plan addition and just txt to email and vice versa. Actually...maybe I don't really grasp the difference between email and txt msgs other then 180 character limit. Which isn't an issue for me.
    If you don't get a data plan, you're gonna get slammed if you tether...

All the Treos can handle MP3s with software and an external memory card. Which kind depends on which Treo you get...
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    you HAVE to get a data plan. without it, the treo and all of its quirks just isn't worth it IMO.
  13.    #13  
    OK. So there's my point then. What are those quirks. What am I missing by not having the data plan other then phone internet browsing -which I don't really need or want to pay for.

The only way to partly justify the cost is to dump my wireless home internet connection and tether it. However, I'm sure it won't be as fast and yet it'll cost twice as much to boot. So that's not much of an option I care for. I'd rather just stick to my wireless connection, forgo the data plan, and just keep txting to email like I've been doing. It works fine.
    You can SMS to an email address if that's all you're looking for. There are Treo users on here that don't use data...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=data+plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    you HAVE to get a data plan. without it, the treo and all of its quirks just isn't worth it IMO.
    Agreed. Much of the greatness of these devices is in the data usage. Sling player, internet, teathering ect ect. IMO.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Agreed. Much of the greatness of these devices is in the data usage. Sling player, internet, teathering ect ect. IMO.
    Agreed...but for some it's just too much to justify is all.
    The Treo can still do tons without a data plan. You can still watch movies and play music without it, you just can't stream...
  18.    #18  
    Sure. Just rip and download to it I'm sure.

If I did go drop the home connection and go with a VZ data plan. What kind of speeds is everyone seeing.
    I don't know which carrier you use but I have cancelled the data plans on my wife's 650 and my 750 on T-Mobile. Guess what? We can still do full OTA sync to Exchange. Freeeeeeeeee! (There are some really annoying radio adverts here in Southern California for a mattress store that always include "...or your mattress is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!") (But I digress.)

I haven't bothered to do the proxy thing to enable web browsing because the ability to sync over the air and get email is really all I want.

On the other hand most of my day-to-day use is on a Sprint 700wx. I got the SERO plan. Look at it this way. T-Mobile wanted $100/month for 2,500 minutes and $30 for semi-fast data. Sprint wanted $100/month for 2,500 minutes and high speed data. Hmmmm.

My suggestion:

1. Don't bother with the Treo unless you're going to get data. You wouldn't buy a pickup truck without the bed, would you? Sure you could drive it but its utility would be severely limited.

2. If you're leaning at the WM Treos, both the 750 or the 700wx are great. The 750 is a little more polished (e.g., threaded SMS is pre-installed, whereas you have to install the hack yourself on the 700wx). But you'll be happy with either.

3. VZW. Price. Compare. Look at what Cingular/ATT just did by adding messaging to its data plan. Look at Sprint's SERO plans. I have a bias against VZW strictly based on price. You may need it for coverage but I have never had a problem with coverage using Sprint or T-Mobile.
  20.    #20  
    Well coverage is an issue for me. I had Xingular and had troubles getting a call at our other property up north. Verizon is no issue. I've never had a Sprint phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast