1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 750 and set up an exchange with The Message Center (TMC), after switching from 4smartphone to mail2web to couple of others in between before. Since going to TMC, I notice that my mail isn't always "pushing".

I have my exchange mail forwarded directly from TMC to my yahoo account. When I'm in front of a computer, I read off my Yahoo account. I notice that I get my email on my Yahoo account before I get it on my phone. Sometimes I do not get the emails on the phone until 1/2-1 hour later and in batches of 2-3 at a time.

I sent an email to TMC and their explanation was that the data connection on my 750 was weak. It's been the same data connection all this time (my office and home locations have not changed) and I've only had this problem with TMC and not with the other services.

Does anybody else have any ideas on what could be the problem?
    Nope. My 750 is configured to ActiveSync with the Exchange servers at Webville.net. It just works. Most of the time the mail hits the 750 before it actually hits Outlook. Sorry you're encountering that trouble. :-\
    works well for me, too. Make sure that you have a good network connection, just a thought....
  4.    #4  
    My data connection is fine. I am in a great Cingular area with UMTS. I can't imagine what else could be the problem.
    I have had an issue with EAS Direct Push since I purchased the device in January. My problem is that rather than receiving my emails "as items arrive", the phone simply syncs all day long every 6 minutes. So if the email comes during one of the 6 minute syncs then it appears to arrive instantly. However, if it arrives just after the sync then it won't come to the device for 6 minutes. My IT department has verified that they are setup correctly and since my co-worker who is using a T-mobile Dash with EAS Direct Push and receives every email on her phone before it reaches her Outlook we have concluded that there is an issue with Cingular's network in which their servers are breaking the inactive ping signal prematurely. Microsoft also agrees with this theory and further justified that if your phone syncs every 6 minutes this means that the inactive ping connection is being broken as they have a registry setting that regulates the phone to not sync more frequently than every 6 minutes to preserve battery in the case that one is receiving a weak data signal that keeps dropping. I have disputed with Cingular over this for many hours and they refuse to admit that there could be an inactivity timeout issue with their servers. One tech support rep explained to me that there is not a timeout issue because their network doesn't have servers... hahaha All they agree to do is exchange the phone because I didnt have the direct push plan but only the regular pda unlimited data plan. The manager at Cingular couldn't explain what I am receiving for the 4.99 extra per month that the Direct Push plan costs except that it allows you to receive Microsoft Direct Push emails and some other provisioning that she couldnt explain either. However, it still doesnt work. Palm is also blaming Cingular's network. Cingular claims that I am the only person with this particular problem and so they won't take it serious. One manager said that getting your email within 6 minutes is good and that I shouldnt complain. My point is that if T-mobile can configure their data network such that Microsoft EAS Direct Push works 100% as designed then Cingular should also be able to... As far as being the only person with this problem, I believe that many people are not noticing this issue because they don't watch the sync logs to notice that the phone is in a continuous 6 minute sync loop when "as items arrive" is chosen. They receive all of their emails and so they dont investigate further. Instead they go onto these forums and bash the Treo 750 for having poor battery life. I want Cingular/ATT to raise the bar for their business customers using EAS Direct Push and get more competent techs that actually understand how Direct Push works...

Something else... one Cingular tech asked me what I thought was causing this problem (since he didn't know). So I explained the inactive ping connection being dropped as Microsoft has mentioned. He asked me to open the browser and browse the internet for over 6 minutes and if the connection does not drop then it is not Cingular's network. This is the level of tech support they provide... Very amusing!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrett View Post
    I have had an issue with EAS Direct Push since I purchased the device in January. My problem is that rather than receiving my emails "as items arrive", the phone simply syncs all day long every 6 minutes. So if the email comes during one of the 6 minute syncs then it appears to arrive instantly. However, if it arrives just after the sync then it won't come to the device for 6 minutes. My IT department has verified that they are setup correctly and since my co-worker who is using a T-mobile Dash with EAS Direct Push and receives every email on her phone before it reaches her Outlook we have concluded that there is an issue with Cingular's network in which their servers are breaking the inactive ping signal prematurely. Microsoft also agrees with this theory and further justified that if your phone syncs every 6 minutes this means that the inactive ping connection is being broken as they have a registry setting that regulates the phone to not sync more frequently than every 6 minutes to preserve battery in the case that one is receiving a weak data signal that keeps dropping. I have disputed with Cingular over this for many hours and they refuse to admit that there could be an inactivity timeout issue with their servers. One tech support rep explained to me that there is not a timeout issue because their network doesn't have servers... hahaha All they agree to do is exchange the phone because I didnt have the direct push plan but only the regular pda unlimited data plan. The manager at Cingular couldn't explain what I am receiving for the 4.99 extra per month that the Direct Push plan costs except that it allows you to receive Microsoft Direct Push emails and some other provisioning that she couldnt explain either. However, it still doesnt work. Palm is also blaming Cingular's network. Cingular claims that I am the only person with this particular problem and so they won't take it serious. One manager said that getting your email within 6 minutes is good and that I shouldnt complain. My point is that if T-mobile can configure their data network such that Microsoft EAS Direct Push works 100% as designed then Cingular should also be able to... As far as being the only person with this problem, I believe that many people are not noticing this issue because they don't watch the sync logs to notice that the phone is in a continuous 6 minute sync loop when "as items arrive" is chosen. They receive all of their emails and so they dont investigate further. Instead they go onto these forums and bash the Treo 750 for having poor battery life. I want Cingular/ATT to raise the bar for their business customers using EAS Direct Push and get more competent techs that actually understand how Direct Push works...

Something else... one Cingular tech asked me what I thought was causing this problem (since he didn't know). So I explained the inactive ping connection being dropped as Microsoft has mentioned. He asked me to open the browser and browse the internet for over 6 minutes and if the connection does not drop then it is not Cingular's network. This is the level of tech support they provide... Very amusing!
    Very detailed writeup on how it could be a Cingular problem. However I used the Nokia E61 with mail for exchange (EAS solution with a 15min heartbeat) and it worked and still works like a charm and email arrives in seconds. When I try to connect to the exact same exchange server, using the exact same sim card with the Treo 750 it does not work correctly. It only syncs every 20-30 minutes or so.

I checked the ctrlLog.txt file on the Treo and found that it only initiates a server ping at the heartbeat interval set in the registry. Changing the interval helps a littlebit, so that it syncs more frequent, but again that is no push setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Palm and Cingular support are a complete waste of time.

I am at loss of what can be wrong. I do use a root certificate
    I too have Cingular with no problems.

That 6 minute "heartbeat" is set by the server, not Cingular. I use mail2web, which happens to be 28 minutes (great for battery). 4smartphone I believe is 12 minutes, etc. etc.

As far as the OP, can you confirm that other people are using TMC and are getting instant-push? Just asking because I have never heard of it. I would try and delete the server from your phone, soft reset, re-configure the server, then soft reset again. It will only take a few minutes and it doesn't hurt a bit....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    I too have Cingular with no problems.

That 6 minute "heartbeat" is set by the server, not Cingular. I use mail2web, which happens to be 28 minutes (great for battery). 4smartphone I believe is 12 minutes, etc. etc.

As far as the OP, can you confirm that other people are using TMC and are getting instant-push? Just asking because I have never heard of it. I would try and delete the server from your phone, soft reset, re-configure the server, then soft reset again. It will only take a few minutes and it doesn't hurt a bit....
    I performed the soft reset - reconfigure - soft reset procedure, but to no avail. There is absolutely no push setup, because email is only downloaded when the heartbeat cycle hits.

Any other suggestions?
  9.    #9  
    I switched from TMC to webville and my push problems stopped. I was getting emails within seconds again.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    I switched from TMC to webville and my push problems stopped. I was getting emails within seconds again.
    You made me curious and I tried webville exchange and indeed no issues with the push email setup. However this still does not solve my issue with my company's exchange server. It still works fine on the Nokia E61, but the push setup does not work with the Treo 750.

I also tried switching back to only GPRS, but no luck...

I spent hours in the Cingular store today and no solution at all (even tried a new Treo, but same result).

Any expertise on the Exchange server settings and Treo 750 compatability is greatly appreciated.