Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since this area is growing and there have been some issues lately, which I am also at fault on occasion, I propose that we try to follow the following rules, regulations and common courtesy between the active developers.

1) Unless the author of a script or app says specifically that it is ok to steal, hack, enhance or otherwise repost a variation you should ask the author permission to do so.

Authors should add a comment at the start of their scripts that informs other developers what your rules are. Example:

#You may modify this script as long as you give credit to the author
    #Distributed freely without any warrentee expressed or otherwise
    #Use at your own risk

2) Asks for new features to an existing app to the original author before trying to do it yourself. Work out an aggreement if the author doesn't have time or the inclination to add the feature.

3) Script writers should post any apps they are working on so that we avoid duplication of effort. This doesn't mean more than one person can't write a similar app, it is just a way of avoiding frustration when you see someone else come out with the same type of app that you've been working on for a while.

4) Always give credit where credit is due. If an author let's you use his ideas or scripts make sure you give credit when you post the app and also in a README file included with the zipped up app.

5) Play nicely with others. Don't try to outrace others to put out the same type of app. Try to work together as a team.

6) At no time should any developer post, copy code posted here, or deploy code originated here for unethical, malicious, or counterproductive purposes that could potentially result in retalitatory measures by anyone.

Also please abide by the forum rules listed here.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/announcement.php?f=91

This is a start. Let me know what you think and if I should add/subtract to this list.
    Last edited by hannip; 04/24/2007 at 11:08 PM.
    Oh Hannip... Do you think you're fooling anybody? You just want your name on all future scripts, since you're the MortScript daddy here.

Actually, thank you for performing your Yodaness.

On a personal note, I'm not going to try creating any scripts (as I have way too many distractions as is), but I LOVE using them!! Thanks scripters!

Edit: Oh, and this may be better in the best practices thread, but would the scripters be opposed to offering up the code as a separate package from the CAB installs? I know, for me personally, unless the CAB is required to create a proper file structure or something along those lines, I'd rather decide where I place my scripts, use icons, etc...
  4.    #4  
    hehe, naw, most developers here have surpassed me already and don't need to copy any of my code. I may have started things on this forum and give advice, but I just don't have the time to put into writing large applications. My job already has me writing software 100 hours a week. lol.

As far as providing files separate from cab installs, that's already in the best practices thread. I think only Scotty has been following that advice so far however. :-/
    Last edited by hannip; 04/24/2007 at 05:57 PM.
    um...you won't "see" me in a CAB (yet?).

ill post more stuff later.

-jdc
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    This is a start. Let me know what you think and if I should add/subtract to this list.
    Let's start by spelling courtesy correctly
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    How rude.

Can't fix it in the thread list unfortunately.
    Last edited by hannip; 04/24/2007 at 06:15 PM.
    How rude.

Can't fix it in the thread list unfortunately.
    lol. I fixed my misspelled title "may carrier display project". you just need to find a friendly mod. lol. or better yet just become one. lol.

nice thread though.

thanks, cody
    None of us can Spell...We can write some scripts though.
    Spk for yurself

ok...out of common Courtesy

woulda been great if you had misspelled Courtesy

Ok, back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Ooohhh, courtesy?!

I thought he meant "curtsy", as in KNEEL BEFORE THE FEET OF YODA WHEN ENTERING THIS FORUM YOU SWINE!

lol, I know it ain't funny hannip, don't smite me

(heheh, it's a little funny...)
    I was gunna post the curtsey comment about Yoda, but since I've been rather curt recently, I withheld it. <mild grin>

As for other regs suggestions, we should re-hash (or at least reference) the forum rules governing our posts.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/announcement.php?f=91

I think I am guilty of a few ill-advised comments directed "at" someone directly and for that I apologize to him and to all that rolled their eyes at the whole ordeal.

I also need to remove my e-mail address from future posts, or at least re-format it (as per forum guidelines).

As for how we can govern contact and interaction with commercial entities, I'm not sure what, if anything we can do, other than make strong suggestions.

I'd like to go on record as saying that "my" code is "your" code. This is why I post it. Anyone, and I sincerely mean anyone, has my permission to adopt my methods, tweak my variables, and even imitate my voice when commanding it to execute (try Truman Capote meets Elvis Pressley). I really don't care. But if it's used maliciously or blatantly against the will of others, I'd prefer to not have a bloody glove pointing at me -- either directly or indirectly.

And that's all I'm gunna say about that.

-- JDC

[e-signature sent via desktop dinosaur running an automated MortScript Ver 4.0 commanded to execute with a mouseclick that effectively adds precious milliseconds on top of my otherwise productive day. ]
  15.    #15  
    Wow, someone actually reads the forum rules?

hmm, that dang moderator hasn't fixed my spelling yet. <---- VIOLATION!!!

j/k ronbo2000, don't ban me from the forums!

jd, I'll add your malicious use clause to the list.

6) At no time should any developer copy or use any existing code posted here for non ethical purposes that could get you or the original author into trouble.
    Your passive aggressive language just made me hurl.

suggest: "unethical, malicious, or counterproductive purposes that could potentially result in retalitatory measures by anyone."

Johnny Cochran's discliaimer - no events, real or imagined, past or future, shall be inferred to have served as the reason for this clause.
    Last edited by jdcochran; 04/24/2007 at 10:45 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    it's a little funny...)
    Ah, a quote from one of my favorite movies. Elisha Cuthbert is smokin!!!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Your passive aggressive language just made me hurl.

suggest: "unethical, malicious, or counterproductive purposes that could potentially result in retalitatory measures by anyone."

Johnny Cochran's discliaimer - no events, real or imagined, past or future, shall be inferred to have served as the reason for this clause.
    lol, I know it was weak.

Ok, I changed the wording.
    Ah, a quote from one of my favorite movies. Elisha Cuthbert is smokin!!!
    omg, she's a peach

Hannip you realize of course you'll have to go back and rid this thread of all the useless and irrelevant posts... you can start with mine.
    lol, I know it was weak.

Ok, I changed the wording.
    Whoops, another minor edit...

At no time should any developer post, copy code posted here, or deploy code originated here for unethical, malicious, or counterproductive purposes that could potentially result in retalitatory measures by anyone.

(that's what PMs are for)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast