Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    ok, I changed it.

zbop, I don't think thread starters can removed other peoples posts. I think everyone will need to take care of their own posts.
    Does anyone else out here think you guys might be taking this too far? These are scripts... not applications. This is an open forum where people should be able to take your idea and run with it further than you have and post it back up; without getting yelled out. You should then be encouraged to one-up them back, if you can, or step back and know that your idea brought about a better script for the masses to use and rewrite for their own needs. We all want the same thing, a better Treo. No one here is making money off of these, and any fame you gain will already be known by those that matter; those that read the developer forum regularly and already know what you've accomplished.
  3.    #23  
    I think for the most part what you are saying is how things have been happening, but the more involved some of these scripts get and the amount of time being invested into them makes it a more delicate situation. Thus the rules that you see here. We want this place to be fun and these rules of common courtesy should hopefully help keep it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by adbnist View Post
    These are scripts... not applications.
    That's a thin line sometimes. People thought the same about HTML and PHP back when they started, too, and now some people make big money with PHP applications (like Woltlab). And there are some really impressive scripts out there.
    Since MortScript "forces" people to deliver the source code (as it's an interpreter), things are even more complicated than for other applications where the author can just decide to keep the source.

This is an open forum where people should be able to take your idea and run with it further than you have and post it back up; without getting yelled out.
    Well, that's fine for simple script that easily fit on a screen. But how would you respond if you spend several hours for a > 1,000 line script, and then somebody does some minor changes to it and offers it without even noting it's from you? Maybe even on another site (like an own blog/web page)?

We all want the same thing, a better Treo. No one here is making money off of these, and any fame you gain will already be known by those that matter; those that read the developer forum regularly and already know what you've accomplished.
    Sure, but if fame is the only wage, you don't want to have it "stolen". Esp. since it isn't such a big thing to give some kudos to the original author. Nobody's asked too much to add some comment lines at the beginning of the script or ask the original author.
    Additionally, it helps to avoid a bunch of similar solutions, where you have to decide whether you prefer version A which features x but not y, or version B which features y but not x...
    Those are also the reasons why the MortScript code itself currently is only available with some restrictions...
    Just my 2 cents...

If you want to protect your property don't post it here or on any other open forum, post a message that you have a script and have the user e-mail you a request. This way you can control (to some extent) where it goes.

If you want to develop apps, then get a developers kit (.net) and compile your code, then you are protected. I don't think you should be thinking of scripting with posting on an open forum as software development.

You should think of this as a forum to share code, that's it. I don't think anyone is going to retire on these scripts. You may pick up a lead from someone that wants you to develop something meaningful, but it's doubtful.

In fact the very nature of publishing "open source" is to allow other to improve upon what you have done. For example I really like the concept of xCast, but I wanted to develop a front end (published here), I took the approach of not modifying the code of xCast but bolted on. I also did modify my version to handle the hi/lo and events a little differently. I see nothing wrong with this. I didn't choose to publish it back again, but should I not have? What if others like my mods?

I agree that credit should be given where credit is due, but I for one have no expectation that when I write "open source" code that it will not be adopted, the only thing I am looking for is a little recognition for my work, so shoot me!

Keep it friendly, this is a hobby from what I see for most people here, it should be colabrative and building. If you get hung on on "My" or "Ours" then I don't think you should be contributing here.

JSACKS<<
    Lead, follow or get out of the way....
    jsacks getting to the point.Your building a script and yes they are programs.
    You spend money for cab software,icon software,media software and you start a script that takes you months.you build your cab and post it for all to enjoy.The users are loving it man ..your feeling good and guess what..I drop a file that beats yours up and down and hour later with a link under yours telling the memebers to use my mscr file.would you feel you have wasted time?What would you really be learning from the mscr file posted an hour later?Would you spend the same amount of time you put into the first build putting together another one or just give up hehehe remember I'm posting a better mscr file an hour later after you post your cab with links to my mscr file..Some of the members that don't understand need to spend lots of your time building a script and cab it.Then see how you like it when your cab-work was for nothing...Sometimes it's harder to come up with the idea of the program then it is to build the script.This is just simple respect for your fellow members/Friends hard work.
    Last edited by slingbox; 04/25/2007 at 06:30 PM.
    I think this has gotten way off-track. The whole point was to post some commong guidelines to avoid conflict, not turn into a debate about open-source.

First off, I think that anything that smells like a hard and fast rule, or legalese should be removed. The only thing worse than a bunch of lawyers is a bunch of people pretending to be lawyers, lol. This is not directed at anyone, just the whole debate in general.

Hannip, I think if the thread title is changed (once again), to just "posting guidelines and common courtesy" it should be fine. Take anything out that sounds like legalese, they're just recommendations. If it sounds like a rule or anything legal, we're gonna have challenges. If people choose to read and follow guidelines then great, if not, well we can't say we didn't warn 'em.

I think if you don't want to follow some common guidelines, you're just behaving in an antisocial manner and well, it will become pretty obvious that you're not wanted here. Forum by definition means community.

Maybe we should also add tips on testing your code, versioning, providing READMEs, howtos on CAB installers, adding icons to your code, etc so people don't get bent out of shape by a bunch of non-enforceable rules. Everyone relax, they're just guidelines.

I agree with jsacks, we should just keep it friendly

Edit: I just realized that some of what I mentioned is already covered by the "standards/best practices" thread so you can ignore that comment.
    Hmm build to be outbuilt should be the new mortscript rule.If your fellow member builds icons,spends lots of time putting togther a program just hop in an hour later with your own version to replace his or hers files and clame you did the work....hmmm theres nothing wrong with that or is there.

There is no copywrite so heck lets hack everyones work up for what..To make mort better hmmm.
    Z you spent that time building that plugin and your feeling good for the work you put into it...You have some happy scripter thanking you for your hard work.Joe Blow comes in a couple hours later and says zbop did a crapy job I did it better use mine..
    This thread spells out simple respect that must be had as it is in any Thread at treo central on a diffrent landscape..

Also Adding,
    If a member took your your latest script and made a couple changes to it and reposted it as his or her's would you be a happy scripter wanting to put time in another one...This is the bottom line guys.It can be viewed in a couple ways...The crybaby effect or the respect effect.Choose what you feel fits the bill.
    Last edited by slingbox; 04/25/2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Also adding
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Hmm build to be outbuilt should be the new mortscript rule.If your fellow member builds icons,spends lots of time putting togther a program just hop in an hour later with your own version to replace his or hers files and clame you did the work....hmmm theres nothing wrong with that or is there.

There is no copywrite so heck lets hack everyones work up for what..To make mort better hmmm.
    Z you spent that time building that plugin and your feeling good for the work you put into it...You have some happy scripter thanking you for your hard work.Joe Blow comes in a couple hours later and says zbop did a crapy job I did it better use mine..
    This thread spells out simple respect that must be had as it is in any Thread at treo central on a diffrent landscape..
    Sling,
    I don't think anyone here is debating what the "right" thing to do is. I think everyone acknowledges that it is "uncool" to steal someone elses work and present it as your own. And I haven't heard anyone advocate that yet. I think everyone so far is in agreement that you should respect the work of others.

But I don't think you can enforce that. If you really want to be protected, then you should consult an attorney and take appropriate steps to protect your code, that's all there is to it. I don't think this is debatable either.

I want to stay away from the comparison to open-source because it's a topic like abortion. There is always furious debate on either sides about the pros and cons of it. That kinda debate is a thread WITHOUT END.

In general, the community has a way of dealing with miscreants, this is how society operates. And if they step *too* far out of bounds, they'll end up being banned from the forum anyways.

As far as my code goes, hey I have no trouble with a little competition, I say *bring it on*

Z.
    hmm the kudo and spite hehehe or the black list.I think this thread is to give the new scripter an idea on how this forum works.If johnny five comes in here and blast through Treo Vib make a couple changes and says it's his what can we really do...Nothing.We can look at that so called script builder as a fake.This thread gives the new builder of scripts an idea of what his or her fellow scripter expects.You can go with the grain and the result=help from your fellow scripters,Icons, and on and on.Go agenst the grain what do you get=nothing...
    Mortscript.exe has rules you must follow to buld scripts that work.The scripters have rules that make The forum work as one.The end result is better frindships being built,better scripts being built and the forum as a whole being better built.
    Lordie, Lordie, we've created a monster. Let's get back to creating useful drivel... like:

This script is mine, man. This script is yours, man.
    From Scottie Mo Mo's...To the New York Funk man's.
    From the redneck's ForceCast... To the on-screen smileys.
    This script was made for you and me.

If johnny five comes in here and blast through Treo Vib make a couple changes and says it's his what can we really do.
    If he/she can figure out how to stop TreoVibe from vibrating when you press a key on the keypad, I'll give em' props!

Just like I gave westronic props for a better way to stop vibrating once the call gets connected
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Lordie, Lordie, we've created a monster. Let's get back to creating useful drivel... like:

LOL

Go Warriors!

2nd half about to start
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    If he/she can figure out how to stop TreoVibe from vibrating when you press a key on the keypad, I'll give em' props!

Just like I gave westronic props for a better way to stop vibrating once the call gets connected
    hmm hehehe you gave up on your script..I find that hard to beleave lol lol
    Or would that be westronic script lol
    It's every ones script that why you put your name,e-mail address and all that good stuff at the top of your beautiful work...You are proud of it if I'm correct and you want everyone to know you built it.If a hack took apart your script when you got finished and posted you qwould be offended yet maybe not.This is turning into the Hillary Clinton thread maybe with passive response yet if it happened to your work you would be a little upset.
    I put my e-mail address to funnel tech support for those who are embarrassed to ask their questions in public. For this, I charge $200/hr. Yeah, that's the ticket... so I can buy my wife, Morgan Fairchild, diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Well, I'm done feeding the monster, you guys do what you want, lol.

Poetry
    Sing to the tune of your choice, but Woody Guthrie's works best.
    lets all be friends a song..We are family all the scripters and me hmm who am I
    lets all be friends a song..We are family all the scripters and me hmm who am I
    Dude, you're the black and red gadget sitting on top of my tv right now, lol.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast