1.    #1  
    As posted on Howard Forums, I thought I'd mention the word here for those interested

"-The Treo 750 refresh scheduled to launch in the October/November timeframe"
    Also:
    "The Treo 750 is currently getting a big update fix and international roaming issues fixed, HSDPA will be enabled with WM6, no release yet planned."

That's it. That's the all the information.
    Here's where that comes from:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=9095259

A 'refresh' would typically mean a very similar model with minor changes to the hardware. Usually this is to keep a product fresh while leveraging all of the work that went in to the current model or platform.

I speculate that this will most likely carry a new model number.... say like Treo 755, 760, etc.

If I was to speculate. I would guess this would be the model that would have a 320x320 resolution screen.
    Other possibilities:
    -More memory
    -Wifi (very unlikely)
    -Bluetooth 2.0
    -2.0 Camera
    -Faster processor
    -HSDPA 3.6

I think most of those are unlikely and the new model would include one or two of these at the most.
    This is all just speculation and wishful thinking. Please don't get too excited. It'll be quite a while before we know what it is.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Hey Palm, while you're spiffing up the 750 (pretty nice phone right now, by the way, and I have the unbranded unlocked phone imported from Europe, thank you very much) how about selling unlocked unbranded 750's here in the United States?

Yeah. Wifi. Very unlikely. Duh. Palm, Inc. iappears to be constitutionally incapable of recognizing that several of its customers might like to have this.

You know what? I would know the sky is falling if Palm builds a 750 for T-Mobile and its new 3G frequency and this comes out as part of the refresh later this year. We could dream, eh?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    treo 701.5w anyone? que? any takers?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    If Palm "refreshes" the hardware with the 320 x 320 screen, it would just follow Palm's roadmap to make one device that they can install any OS on.
    Palm will use the new device to introduce their new Linux kernel Garnet OS (slated to come out at approximately the same time or early '08). Which stated in many internet posts that with the Linux core could run GPRS and WiFi simultaneously. All they need is a WiFi radio in the device since both OS's (Palm and WM) can use WiFi.

As for the rest of the items, the 3.6 HSDPA is only a rumor right now. They would have to get the first version of HSDPA fully implemented before they upgrade to the faster version. Besides, they have hardly any handsets out now that take advantage of it. And as for new devices coming out, a huge majority of them still use GPRS/Edge.

Memory, you could be right on. A lot of newer devices in Europe are going with larger memory amounts and the processor, while strong, could use a little upgrade to handle the multi-tasking. The camera will probably remain the same, though.

Please don't think I am bashing you, because I am not, just my opinions.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jevangil View Post
    If Palm "refreshes" the hardware with the 320 x 320 screen, it would just follow Palm's roadmap to make one device that they can install any OS on.
    Palm will use the new device to introduce their new Linux kernel Garnet OS (slated to come out at approximately the same time or early '08). Which stated in many internet posts that with the Linux core could run GPRS and WiFi simultaneously. All they need is a WiFi radio in the device since both OS's (Palm and WM) can use WiFi.
    Exactly. Could this be the one? This is one reason I think this is a likely change (320x320.) I still remain very skeptical that we'll ever see WiFi in a Palm product. T-Mobile seems to require WiFi while cingular seems to try to get WiFi removed from devices and I hear Vodafone is anti Wifi. So I don't know where the carrier influence lies on this one.
    As for the rest of the items, the 3.6 HSDPA is only a rumor right now. They would have to get the first version of HSDPA fully implemented before they upgrade to the faster version. Besides, they have hardly any handsets out now that take advantage of it. And as for new devices coming out, a huge majority of them still use GPRS/Edge.

Memory, you could be right on. A lot of newer devices in Europe are going with larger memory amounts and the processor, while strong, could use a little upgrade to handle the multi-tasking. The camera will probably remain the same, though.

Please don't think I am bashing you, because I am not, just my opinions.
    Understand the items I listed are not my speculation of what I think will be in the device. Merely examples of types of things that could be upgraded. I also seriously doubt most of those would be added (like HSDPA 3.6.) So don't take this as a rumor of what we'll see. Cingular is in the very early stages of 3.6 upgrade and Palm is rarely ahead of the curve. Not to mention the engineering cost of changing the radio to a new, expensive 3.6 HSDPA.
    In fact I wouldn't put money on any speculation at this point except 320x320. That's the only thing I think is a given for the reason you said (one device for both Palm Linus and WM6.) I also think that Palm and the 320x320 screen was a big (if not THE) influence on Microsoft to add support for this resolution for this reason.

If I were to put money on anything, 320x320 with WM6 would be the ONLY change in the refresh.

You know what? I'd probably have to get it anyway. I'm such a sucker.
    I have to side with taylorh on this one regarding the only likely changes. I have a hard time believing Palm would add anything other than the 320x320 screen and WM6. I also wouldn't be surprised if they changed the form factor just slightly. That way you have to buy new accessories (hard cases, skins, stylus) rather than using your old ones.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  7.    #7  
    I'm about 50/50 on the form factor change. On one hand I can see them making minor improvements to the form factor for a number of reasons. But I don't see them changing the accessory connections.
    So there may be yet a new model of case or skin for this bad boy.
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    How about some new colors?
    Heck, how 'bout GPS? I just got a new BT-359 from the Cingular store and the insert says "Congratulations, since you bought a new GPS device for a Cingular supported phone, you don't need any additional software!

The next line says "*Additional services and fees may apply". This at least would fit in with Cingular trying to sell their TeleNav service. Can't buy it without a GPS receiver....
    Jer 23:29