1.    #1  
    Really new to this so go easy on me

i have 2 gmail accounts that i would like to set up through my 700wx but i just can seem to get it right HELP!
    Choice number 1: through the browser.

Look under Favorites in the browser and you'll see Palm Mobile Portal. Scroll down far enough and you'll find links to Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo Mail.

That's what I do. I hardly use Gmail at all so I can't be bothered figuring out what to do to make Gmail work with Pocket Outlook.

Choice Number 2: This assumes you use Gmail like a son of a gun and need it in Outlook.

a. Go to Gmail and set it up for POP3 operation in the settings. Here's the Gmail Help page on POP3.

b. Find the configuration stuff for "Other" mail clients. Use this to set up a POP3 email account in Pocket Outlook.

Choice 3: this also assumes you need your Gmail in Outlook.

Taking a page from my old Treo 650 playbook, set up a free fastmail.fm IMAP4 account. Then set up Gmail to forward to your fastmail.fm account. Then set up Outlook to access your fastmail.fm account. Search Treocentral with a search phrase that includes "chatter" and "fastmail.fm" and "gmail" and you will find the nitty gritty. Yes the "send" side of the equation will look like you did your "send" from your Gmail account. No one will see the fastmail.fm account.

Choice Number 4: forward your Gmail to an Exchange account.

Then access your email from your Treo the way God intended you to receive it. Search Treocentral for mail2web.com, 4smartphone.com, etc. If you have your own Exchange Server so much the better.

Choice Number 5: Resistance is futile. Submit and be assimilated.

a. Pay for your own domain.

b. Get hosted Exchange for your domain.

c. Throw away Gmail. Why let the "Do no evil" boys have complete access to every email you get/send?

Now you own your own domain name and your email will never change.

Choice 6. The App.

I think there is a Gmail app that runs on Java. Too much lard to load onto my 700wx, just the thought of this makes me cringe.

DISCLAIMER: I don't use Gmail for day-to-day because the interface is kinky and I don't like Gmail to see all my emails. I have an Exchange Server. I don't know if any of my suggestions will work technically. I'm a big picture guy!
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 04/23/2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added Choice 6.
    This is what makes this community great, you took a lot of time to write a really good answer with all the options laid out. Bravo.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    I wrote a step by step to set up gmail in poutlook for another post direct link below

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=11
    One more thing make sure you have POP3 Activated on your Google acct!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    After a few days/weeks of using Gmail happily, all of a sudden it shows a message:

"Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download the message again."

Weird thing is this generally happens when I am SENDING, and receiving works fine. Even weirder is that I was able to send e-mails just the day before.

So... Had to delete the Gmail account from my device, and set it up again. Works again... But for how long?

Any idea whats causing this?
    Kruzayn, nice 'step by step' instruction. That is wiki-worthy,if we had a 700wx wiki.

I don't use Gmail much at all anymore - just for mailing lists that I look at once a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
    After a few days/weeks of using Gmail happily, all of a sudden it shows a message:

"Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download the message again."

Weird thing is this generally happens when I am SENDING, and receiving works fine. Even weirder is that I was able to send e-mails just the day before.

So... Had to delete the Gmail account from my device, and set it up again. Works again... But for how long?

...strange...this happens to me quite a bit as well.
    I've had this happen to me a few times as well. I'm not sure what it was that I did to fix it. However, with the Treo 750, a hard reset once in a while is a good thing, can be a bit of a pain as you have to reload your apps, reinstate any custom settings, but it cleans up the system. Hopefully, a ROM update some day will clear up these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post

PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    I get tired of gmail acting up so I have it forwarded to a free aim (imap) account. That way I can check it throughout the day with outlook, thunderbird, etc.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I just use the html version of Gmail through Blazer. It works better for me than any alternative -- when I delete a message it is deleted everywhere since I am accessing the native server.
    Laissez Faire
    If you're using pocket Outlook, you can use PushEffect to download email messages each time a new one comes in. This way, you don't have to setup pocket outlook to download at specific intervals, which can drain the battery.
    I would actually recommend the beta of SEVEN, the only thing not working yet is notifications, but PUSH with gmail works perfectly and setup is a breeze.