1. WCS
    Am I crazy for thinking about doing this?

I have 15 more days to decide...so Im sure the consensus would be that i am crazy...but, has anyone made the switch from the treo 750 to the blackjack?

I dont really have any complaints with the 750...It just seems that the blackjack has everything the treo has (i could be completely off) but comes in a more compact form.

I use email (just 3 accounts), IE, Calendar, etc. but am not a technical hardcore junkie like others...so if there are major difference between the 2 that keeps the treo on top, i'll just stick with it... if not, maybe switching to the blackjack might be the way to go.

Opinions?
    If you don't mind the non-touch screen interface of the WM Smartphone OS, and you don't really have too much invested in WM Phone Edition (touch screen) software, then I'd say go for it. The Blackjack is a nice device. I still prefer the Phone Edition (soon to be called Professional) way of handling Today screen plugins over the Smartphone (soon to be called Standard) XML based today screen setup.

Plus, if it makes any difference, you can't use a BT headset with voice command to dial a contact like you can on the Treo. However, everything else works fine via BT.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I left the Blackjack for the Treo 750. I missed the touchscreen and the BJ didn't handle my hotmail account. Email in general was a pain with the BJ.

Oh, and my biggest pet peave with the BJ was when I had it on Vibrate, it was louder then the actual ringer. You could not stop it from vibrating and I would be running a session and it would vibrate and everyone could hear it very loud.

Plenty of people love the BJ and yes the screen is very clear, but it was too small for me.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Also you can not creat and edit Word,Excel, and Power Point on the BJ, just view them.
    BJ screen seems to have much less screen real estate. My colleague has one and we both run the same email client (Good) and it displays much better on mine.

I also think the idea of giving up a touch screen is really a huge trade off.

He likes his but he came from a Blackberry for what that is worth.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    Also you can not creat and edit Word,Excel, and Power Point on the BJ, just view them.
    Documents To Go solves that problem.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I tried the change over from PPC Phone to Smart Phone and did not like not having the touch screen, did not like the way today screen plugins are handled, I also have many Apps that I Would have to re-purchase for Smart Phone versions (I do kind of miss built in WiFi).

Cheers
    BR
    Mobility!! TMO, Treo 750
    I got a BlackBerry from work last week and I find that the BlackBerry 8800 does everything I need in a more compact form and I love the BlackBerry simplicity for my needs. I still use the Treo 750 for my personal line but I am getting swayed. It all depends on your needs. If you need power features, stick to the Pocket PC Phone Edition platform. If you just use email, maybe the BlackJack is right for you. If you like integrated GPS and don't mind paying a monthly subscriptions for maps, I'd recommend the Blackberry 8800. The Treo is a solid device, however. Having said all that, it's easier to hold for me and it feels more ergonomically designed.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    I got a BlackBerry from work last week and I find that the BlackBerry 8800 does everything I need in a more compact form and I love the BlackBerry simplicity for my needs. I still use the Treo 750 for my personal line but I am getting swayed. It all depends on your needs. If you need power features, stick to the Pocket PC Phone Edition platform. If you just use email, maybe the BlackJack is right for you. If you like integrated GPS and don't mind paying a monthly subscriptions for maps, I'd recommend the Blackberry 8800. The Treo is a solid device, however. Having said all that, it's easier to hold for me and it feels more ergonomically designed.
    I agree to a point. When I purchased the Treo750, I was looking very hard at the BB 8800. I had the BB 8100 for 2 weeks and while I loved it, I hated not having the QWERTY so I was so excited for the 8800. The only problem is that I live and work in 3G areas and find it difficult to leave 3G so I went with the Treo.

If that 8800 was 3G, I would have jumped on it, but alas....

Oh, to be honest, I like email on the Treo better then the BJ.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    I use the BlackJack on the weekends and the Treo for work. Great combo. However, I would definitely pick the 750 over the BlackJack because I just love the PPC OS and just tolerate the Smartphone OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I use the BlackJack on the weekends and the Treo for work. Great combo. However, I would definitely pick the 750 over the BlackJack because I just love the PPC OS and just tolerate the Smartphone OS.
    I do the same exact thing. I use my Treo for the heavy lifting of the work week, and shift over to the Blackjack on the weekends for texting, light email. It is a great phone, but as mentioned above not as powerfull as the Treo.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I too have both and I currently have my Treo 750 in a drawer at home. I consider myself a "hardcore techie" and the BJ does everything I need. I'll go back to the 750 when I get bored of the BJ. I go back and forth whenever I get bored of one or the other. BTW, I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I go to the BJ (except weight and size).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I use Pocket Quicken, and it isn't supported on the Smartphone platforms like the Blackjack.
    I currently have the BB 8800, Blackjack and the Treo 750. I tend to switch a lot between them as I find myself wanting different things out of each. The Blackberry hands down is far superior with email and calendar. My company uses Lotus Notes and a BES. So I don't have many options there. I love the Treo form factor even though I find carrying the Blackjack more portable. I have had the Pearl and the BlackJack is close to the same size (its the same weight, 3.5oz). I find typing on the Blackberry to be a little quicker. For some reason the Treo and Blackjack (or windows mobile in general) has a slight delay. Some cases its the auto-complete feature.

So which device is my SIM card in today? I am currently using the Blackjack running Xpress mail. I get a complete device with access to my corp. email. Though I am always looking over my shoulder to the Treo (which runs BBC), I can't seem to get away from using the Blackjack. As far as the BB 8800, I tend to switch between that and the Blackjack. I feel more connected with work which I feel more comfortable knowing I am not missing anything important. Xpress mail is ok, but it's not as tightly coupled with my work email and calendar. Especially when my laptop is not running.

I can go on for days comparing these devices, but at the end of the day I am a Treo fan. I am interested to see whats next from them.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    brmcquire, I have a similar situation as you.
    I have a work paid and supplied BB 8700c. I have my own personal Treo 750.
    When it comes down to it, carry my BB for work calendar and email even though I have all of that (through xpress mail on my Treo.)
    I think the reson I carry both during the week is that I have email notification turned on (vibrate) on the BB. But I've turned OFF email notification on the Treo because I get both personal and work email on there and I don't want to be constantly notified. I guess you can say the notification options on the BB are better than WM5.

But I do find myself carrying both during work hours. On evenings and weekends I leave the BB at home.
    But if I really really depended on work mail for critical things, I think I'd be more comfortable with the BB. Fortunately I don't need the BB that bad usually.

One thing that drives me crazy about BB email is that it doesn't truly mirror the mail in the inbox and folders. Instead it has it's own copy that it (usually) keeps in sync.
    But the BB really does do push mail all day long with very very little battery drain.

Brmcguire, I have a suggestion.
    Seven (they make XPress Mail for cingular) has a new open Beta program they're running.
    I recommend trying it for the following reasons:
    1) True real time push mail over the TCP/IP data channel, unlike Xpress mail which uses SMS based triggers. There is a warning when you install it that it could use SMS, but the beta program managers did confirm they are not using any SMS triggers in the beta.
    My first impression of this was that it really is almost a total Blackberry replacement.
    2) Ability to sync email folders as well.
    3) Full OTA syncing of the calendar and contacts (and real time updates) and it syncs to the built in calendar and contacts (not a separate Xpress Mail calendar.)
    Oh and lastly. It's remarkably efficient. It really uses little battery life and data.

It also supports real time push with Yahoo and IMAP accounts, and relatively fast pull mail of Gmail, POP, and other non-push supporting services.

I've used this Beta for about 5-6 weeks. By now they have exchange email pretty darned reliable and solid now.

I'm only going through this effort of saying all of this because I truly believe this version just about replaces my BB.

The one thing Seven Beta doesn't do yet, and this is a big one, is they don't have new mail notification working yet. So you'll have to keep an eye on the email on the today screen.
    Thanks. I will check out the latest beta.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    any (free) push mail svc out there that does have the notification working? Will Seven have it soon? I just installed it and dig it so far except it would be Super Nice to have a notification.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by b00001 View Post
    any (free) push mail svc out there that does have the notification working? Will Seven have it soon? I just installed it and dig it so far except it would be Super Nice to have a notification.

Thanks!
    Yes....
    1) http://live.mail2web.com/ is free exchange mail hosting. It works with the Treo's bulit in activesync push support. (best free solution)
    2) http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com/ is free to Cingular customers if you already have a mail account. Push only works with exchange and you must have a computer always on to run the push software.
    3) http://www.emoze.com/ is free push software if you already have a hosted
    exchange account with OWA (outlook webl access) or a computer always on to run the push software if it doesn't have OWA.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    My company has OWA available to us, I've been using Exchange and the native mail client, it has worked well for me. Our company offer Goodlink, (which I finally got rid off after many uncompensated hours or attempting to make it work without it taking over my phone). So it is not bad if you are willing to give up the majority of your phone's features to the mercy of Good Technology's development.