Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    buying this 750 i think. i love the no antenna look but knew i should have gone 680 instead of 750.

windows mobile is like hitting yourself in the foot with a hammer before playing soccer. sure you can still get out there and play but like the mobile software you are almost useless

almost EVERYTHING that made my 650 so great is missing in the 750. simple things such as a simple home page with quick launch buttons to all your programs. obvious things like not having to do a bunch of steps or some "tweek" to close a program.

i spent a bunch of money on it so i am stuck with it, but this is a brutal phone/software package compared to the treo 650 (and therefore i assume 680)

oh well lesson learned, i will just complain about it for a year or so and eventually, once the wife has forgotten how much i spent on this POS, buy a different phone.

Return it, or sell it if you're that unhappy with it.
    Unless you use more than 8 different programs all the time you know you can stick your favorites on the start menu, don't you, which makes them all 2 key presses away (start key, then the shortcut key for that menu entry)

Try it out under Start>Settings>Menu

Also you can use voice command to start all the rest of them (press your voice command button and say "Start ***")

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwh0re View Post
    buying this 750 i think. i love the no antenna look but knew i should have gone 680 instead of 750.

windows mobile is like hitting yourself in the foot with a hammer before playing soccer. sure you can still get out there and play but like the mobile software you are almost useless

almost EVERYTHING that made my 650 so great is missing in the 750. simple things such as a simple home page with quick launch buttons to all your programs. obvious things like not having to do a bunch of steps or some "tweek" to close a program.

i spent a bunch of money on it so i am stuck with it, but this is a brutal phone/software package compared to the treo 650 (and therefore i assume 680)

oh well lesson learned, i will just complain about it for a year or so and eventually, once the wife has forgotten how much i spent on this POS, buy a different phone.

Have you looked at any third party applications?
    I'm running my next marathon for charity.

Click here and help me by donating online.
    Palm applications don't close down either so why do you have to do anything weird to close your new applications down?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I'm coming from a 650 and I think the 750 is a much better phone with a better OS. I've used the Palm OS and Windows Mobile with various different devices and have always preferred WM. There are some annoyances but things like being able to multitask efficiently make it a superior OS, IMO.
    I still have my 650 --- plan on keeping it because I think it's the best Treo so far. I even tried the 680 for a few months but tired of it lagging, battery issues, call waiting issues, etc. The 680 was a disappointment to me, but I LOVE the form factor of the 750. I played around with it at the Cingular store and now I've ordered one from eBay (can't wait to get it).

The research I've done leads me to believe that the 750 may just be the right combination I'm looking for in a WM device (to make my adjustment from Palm OS easier). Great form factor combined with the power of WM and the Palm Treo ease of use (one-handed .... yay!).

I think it's important to just give WM a chance... heaven knows I've spent inordinate amounts of time tweaking my Palm products (i.e. 650 and 680 required hours of tweaking before I had it to my liking) and WM requires the same commitment ... once you've tweaked it with the software and settings you like, it can be a pleasurable experience.

Now.... I'm trying to convince myself to refrain from also buying the 8525, but I'm a gadget freak by nature
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Now.... I'm trying to convince myself to refrain from also buying the 8525, but I'm a gadget freak by nature
    Don't do it man! Take it from an over a year KJAM owner, the slide out keyboard is just a PIA!

Get yourself that 750, tweak the crap out of it, and enjoy the ride!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Don't do it man! Take it from an over a year KJAM owner, the slide out keyboard is just a PIA!

Get yourself that 750, tweak the crap out of it, and enjoy the ride!
    You make a compelling argument, JGold! There IS a certain allure to having a bigger screen, bigger keyboard (after sliding it out), and WiFi. I'd like to do some writing on my PDA and figured the 8525 might be a nice diversion, allowing me to take advantage of the larger screen, grafitti when I want it, and WiFi. Are you suggesting that it may end up just sitting in my drawer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    You make a compelling argument, JGold! There IS a certain allure to having a bigger screen, bigger keyboard (after sliding it out), and WiFi. I'd like to do some writing on my PDA and figured the 8525 might be a nice diversion, allowing me to take advantage of the larger screen, grafitti when I want it, and WiFi. Are you suggesting that it may end up just sitting in my drawer?
    Well, that all depends. Sound like the above are compelling reasons to get a 8525. However, for a day-to-day phone, you can't beat the Treo's convenience factor.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I love this Treo 750. I live in NYC and have 3G 98% of the time with an unlimited data plan so I don't need WiFi. I had the 8125 when it came out and just returned the 8525. To me, it was a lot heavier and yes the .8 makes a big difference. I love having an actual keypad on front and not having to slide it out every time I want to use the phone.

Plus I won't need to tighten up the keyboard in a few months with this Treo. I love WM phones and personally hated the 650, but thats just me.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    This kind of speed and data plans makes the 750 truly worthwhile and uses the full capability of the device. Those of us here in Western Canada have to make do with EDGE and usurious data plans, so it makes the cost of the phone less attractive. I'm hanging in there in the hope that UMTS/HSDPA will make its way out here, its currently out in the Toronto area.

Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    I love this Treo 750. I live in NYC and have 3G 98% of the time with an unlimited data plan so I don't need WiFi. I had the 8125 when it came out and just returned the 8525. To me, it was a lot heavier and yes the .8 makes a big difference. I love having an actual keypad on front and not having to slide it out every time I want to use the phone.

Plus I won't need to tighten up the keyboard in a few months with this Treo. I love WM phones and personally hated the 650, but thats just me.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I was a Palm user for many years, most recently a 650. Yes, WM is a big change, but I got used to the new way of doing things and I don't miss the 650 (and its habit of rebooting when I went to check email or answer a phone call.)
    As I await the arrival of my 750, I have a question that some of you may be able to answer (hopefully): I found that both the 650 and 680 had call-waiting issues for me. The 650 volume would decrease significantly when a second call would come in. The 680 would disconnect me altogether if I ignored a second call (the disconnection would occur once I received the notification that I missed a call or had new voicemail). Do either of these annoyances occur when dealing with a second call on the 750??
    I myself am a long time Palm users. I use both the 700p and the 700wx, mostly for work since I troubleshoot Windows Mobile phones. Some tips that have helped me a ton to adapt to the Windows Mobile.

Today Screen
    This is your workhorse. Under the Palm OS, you would first decide what hardbutton you want to hit to get to the app you want to use. Here you just decide what part of the screen you want to go to. Need to dial a number? just punch it in under the contacts field. Looking up a contact? again the contact search field is your friend. Google field for internet.

while on a phone call, if you hold down the phone button, it will turn on the speakerphone. Far easier than hitting that little accursed icon.

The Calander
    I never use it, lol. It's arguably the Achilles heel of WM. My biggest gripe about is the excess number of button pushes it takes to do anything. try Agenda Fusion. This is an area I have yet to find a solid replacement app for WM5.

Look under the 700wx forum and check the FAQ thread. Alot of information there. I believe if you are like me, you will spend hours customizing your today screen as to cram as much usability into one place as one can.
    obvious things like not having to do a bunch of steps or some "tweek" to close a program.

I often jump between programs - eg looking something up when I'm E-mailing - and I think it's great that I can go straigth back to where I was in my E-mail. I've made a habit of holding the OK-button and closing all programs once a day.

If you have Resco Explorer and add it to the Today screen, you can add more program icons there if the 8 you can have in the Start Meny isn't enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwh0re View Post
    i made a terrible mistake buying this 750 i think.
    Actually, the only mistake you made was posting that comment inside of a forum full of people that can make their 750's run circles against any other device you put up against it. My advice - keep the 750, keep reading the threads posted here and in about a month or two post again to say "Thanks for making me keep my 750". Good luck.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Actually, the only mistake you made was posting that comment inside of a forum full of people that can make their 750's run circles against any other device you put up against it. My advice - keep the 750, keep reading the threads posted here and in about a month or two post again to say "Thanks for making me keep my 750". Good luck.
    i hope this is the case.

i am in no way anti windows or trying to ruffle any feathers from the people who pray to the 750, so far i just think it is really really weak and lacking.

what i will do is post here in about a month regardless, either with more or continued complaints or a "you converted me to a 750 lover"

some questions maybe you guys can help me with

1. i do not leave voicemails for people very often. more often than not if the person i am calling does not answer i send them a text. is there a simple way to do this on the 750 (i know how to send a text, i mean i call john doe, hang up, what is the quickest way to text john doe?)

2. i have heard the long lag in time from when someone dials me and my phone starting to ring may be due to the voice command system or large number of entries in the phone book - is there a way to make the phone ring BEFORE and during the search? i pick up on the first ring and am told it is 3 or 4 on the callers end

3. i have a cingular 750 unlocked and am using it with fido in canada (vancouver) text and email work great, internet does not - i have entered all the correct network connection stuff (at least as much as i needed to on my 650 which was cingular) is this maybe because the sim card with fido is not 3G? and if so why does email (and for that matter msn) work?

4.closing programs. if i am in media player (or another program) and want to shut it down , how do i do so? the only way i know now is to go into "running programs" in memory

5. alarm - my alarm clock does not work - the volume is on and if i look at the screen it does say alarm ,but it never made any noise (i do have it set to make noise and it did work for a few days)

6. any tips on making the battery last longer? my 650 was a once a day (overnight) charger, i am lucky to make it until 2pm now with the 750. i have adjusted the brightness. any other suggestions?

THANKS
    4. You dont need to shut down running programs in general, especially if you have plenty of memory.

6. If you dont stream or browse a lot, you can improve battery life immensely by switching of 3G and only using GPRS and EDGE (under Settings>Phone>Bands)

Surur
    i got a like new, mint condition treo 680 w/ full box and manuals if you want to trade your 750..

pm me if wanted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast