Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    No battery drain is present so we have found in the WX/W
    The 750 is a different story though because of the smaller weaker battery.

When it come to adding the blink-effect that would be the way to go.The battery saving across the device board would be increased substantially.Line1can be replace by line 2 when pending is present..going into the setting of the plugin adjusting the time blink display...This could be used on many scripts in the future f,sure
    Okay, just asking...

I could probably blink more efficiently than you, but then you would also need to be able to control WHEN to stop blinking too (in real-time fashion). And so now it gets more complicated.

If there was a text "effect" that already existed (hardware or GDI blink), it would be a no-brainer to add but somehow I don't think there is.

lemme think about it.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Oh noooes, better be careful zbop.

Maybe you could support two types of writes to the display. Direct vs Registry polled. For the TA blinking status it probably makes sense to do direct and not rotate the reg entries until the direct writes are dismissed. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: A blink effect option on direct write would save battery like Sling suggests. Then the script can just make one call to start the status blink and one call when notifications are dismissed to stop it. Ok, that makes 3 cents.
    Well here's the rub. Underneath, this is really a hack, it isn't an API or message passing interface where they can "call" functionality. If MortScript were extendable (extensible), that might be easy to do. Right now, to make things callable would require an additional command-line utility which would not be very efficient for frequent updates. Or did I completely miss what you were suggesting?

Z.
    Just add a reg value to the treo alert folder located in reg.when pending becomes active the value change 0-1 pushing the regwritestring a different direction.when dismissed the still reg string is called.What every works best for you Z.Thanks so much for building this plugin.It will be very beneficial to so many users of are scripts opening up the scripts to more features not had in the past.
    No I was thinking commandline utility. It's nothing worse than how we use LEDUp and other exe's that we depend on. But if there is a way to detect registry changes without the overhead of polling that would be a better interface I guess.
    how come it disables itself as aplugin after softreset?

otherwise.... I love it.

thanks zbob
    It's still in beta phase .Z wants to make sure it's up to the task of not screwing up are treo's
    I see. I just re read the thread and saw that it was ment to do this as a safeguard. makes since.
    It will be nice with that extra real estate.I cant wait.

[3] Sig= 100% Bat= 80% Mem= 48MB

hehehehe
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I see. I just re read the thread and saw that it was ment to do this as a safeguard. makes since.
    Yeah, not to scare anyone, but since today plugins get loaded at boot up, if there is a serious bug and it crashes during every boot, you are pretty much screwed unless you have a "safe boot" program installed like iLauncher or Pocket Plus. Don't ask me how I know this
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger2 View Post
    Hey Zbop,
    I ended up putting Xcast in the new plugin. The problem I am having is it seems like it updates all of the weather info, but the time stays at 10a. Did I miss something in updating the Xcast mscr? By the way this is awesome.
    Kinger, are the weather info and the time on the same line? If so, it doesn't make sense that they would update differently.
    EndIf

If (WMPlatform = "treo")

If (WMPlatformModel eq "700w")
    RegKey = "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\Billboard\Item1"
    RegKeyValName = "Line1"
    Zbop, This is the part I changed in the Xcast script from JD. Yes the weather info and the time are both on the same line.
  12.    #52  
    No I was thinking commandline utility. It's nothing worse than how we use LEDUp and other exe's that we depend on. But if there is a way to detect registry changes without the overhead of polling that would be a better interface I guess.
    Hannip I hear ya, I agree it's no worse in this case, but what about the uhh, next case...

Hear me out...

I like the i-handle-it vs. you-handle-it paradigm because:

1) it solves two very general cases which cover all possible scenarios of when and what to update.
    2) it is compatible with the behavior that scripts see now when updating the carrier line today, they just change the location that they write to and it's done.
    3) they have complete control over changes, and can assume responsibility of how efficient or how unforgiving they want to be.
    ( otherwise known as the "how much rope do you want" defense )

If I add the blink functionality instead:

1) It solves one general case and one very specific case, and pushes the burden on me whenever another case comes up that needs to be solved.
    2) not as compatible
    3) I'm not sure, but I may have threading issues when adding a non-GDI timer, plus a command line interface, in addition to the GDI code all touching the same state.

IMHO, wouldn't it be better to use the LED to grab your attention, and then update the icons? After all, they aren't just static, you can dynamically change them to say... a mailbox with a flag up, or change the color of the icon to red. And if need be, I could work on adding multiple icon support to the same line, i.e. sms/email/voicemail. Seriously if you search for "user interface guidelines" + "blinking text" in google, you'll find this is a serious no-no for a reason. Most people find it extremely annoying

Not slamming sling at all, it's all he had to work with on the carrier line, but seriously wouldn't the additional icon support be cooler than blinking text?

Z.
    The line reads 10a:50(Lo:44)shower@10a. The first 10a never updates. I am using the script and ini from page 5 of Jd's thread. Just don't know if I missed something.
    zbop, you make very good points. If you add support for multiple icons that can change I don't think there is a need for blinking text.

Sling, what do you think? PhoneAlarmish icons for TA?

Hey zbop, are you going to add skinning to your plugin?
    The line reads 10a:50(Lo:44)shower@10a. The first 10a never updates. I am using the script and ini from page 5 of Jd's thread. Just don't know if I missed something.
    Latest version is 1.1 on page 11. I recall a small error in an earlier version that did not properly update the time. If you want to repair your old version, see page 6, G-Funksters fixes it in post 113. Also, another beneficial feature was added in post 117. The latest version has "other" stuff you may need to deal with.

Your choice.

-- JDC
  16.    #56  
    I'll take a look...
  17.    #57  
    zbop, you make very good points. If you add support for multiple icons that can change I don't think there is a need for blinking text.

Sling, what do you think? PhoneAlarmish icons for TA?

Hey zbop, are you going to add skinning to your plugin?
    Funny you should mention that...

I had visions of doing this for version 2 where you could define your own window size, positions bitmaps onto that window, define actions (internal functions or external scripts) and be able to create dialogs. At least until I found out about rlToday this past weekend, so now I'm not so sure.

Turns out it he already implemented some pretty nifty skinning hooks, so I'm not sure I want to reinvent that wheel. If I can add stuff that is unique to help out the Mortscripting guys which allows more dynamic control, then it might make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I'll take a look...
    See Post 55. We simulposted and you may not have seen my answer.

-- JDC
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    See Post 55. We simulposted and you may not have seen my answer.

-- JDC
    Thanks Johnny,

Kinger can you check that out before I chase after that goose?

Z.
    Just did, that was it. Sorry, should have read the whole thread. JD thanks for the help and for Xcast. Zbop thanks for the help and quick reply. By the way no problem on the threadjack
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast