Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
    zbop and bbeckman,
    Just so you know, PeraCount was using the older version of the billboard.dll without the side scrolling, but bbeckman may have changed out the .dll, I'm not sure. I can say, though, that occasionally I did notice the script would stop running and I'd have to select something to "kickstart" it again. Same thing happens with PeraStats (the battery/mem program.)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Could be...

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "plugin is not restarted?" Are you talking about the Billboard plugin not being restarted, or the "InitScript" not being called again with the START parameter?

After Redrawing the Today screen I noticed through a taskmanager that the Mortscript.exe associted with PeraCount was not running. To try and figure out why, I inserted into the InitScript, a command to display the current PARAM when the InitScript is executed. When a RedawToday command is issued the InitScript is called and "STOP" is displayed, but "START" is not shown afterward. This leads me to believe that the InitScript is only being called once on a redraw and never being called with a "START" param.

Hope this helps to clarify.
  3.    #263  
    Okay, thanks for the info guys. I think what is happening is during the RedrawToday command, the Billboard plugin does the following:

(1) Billboard calls InitScript "PARAM=STOP"
    (2) Billboard calls InitScript "PARAM=START"
    (3) The script is still executing from (1) and MortScript aborts (2) because it won't allow more than one instance of the same script.

This would explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it depends on the timing of (1) finishing.

If you want, you can try and verify this by having your InitScript simply call separate scripts for STOP and START, but make sure to use Run(), rather than RunWait().

I have to think how to handle this, it might seem like the right thing would be to wait until the InitScript finishes, but there are a number of issues if I make my plugin dependent on a script (including hard hangs at boot up).
    zbop: Your suggested fix worked like a charm. I did still have some timing issues afterwards but I was able to remedy them by including a 2 second delay at the beginning of the PeraCount_Start.mscr script I made.

perasite: I have included a zip of my modified version of your PeraCount which now works with RedrawToday.

I added:
    PeraCount_Start.mscr
    PeraCount_Stop.mscr

I modified:
    PeraCount_Init.mscr

I also had a problem with my "Missed Call Count" value not existing after soft reset resulting in an output of (V-mail: 0 Calls: Email: 0 SMS: 0).
    I added a simple check PeraCount.mscr to see if that value exists before reading it resulting in a more consistent output of (V-mail: 0 Calls: 0 Email: 0 SMS: 0) on startup. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you both for all of your hard work.
    Last edited by bbeckman; 03/06/2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Removed Attachment to help Perasite out.
    Absolutely not, how dare you change my code.
    j/k
    That's great. Thanks for the work. I'll use the same code in PeraStats to make that work properly if you don't mind.
  6.    #266  
    I haven't been following the developments in MortWorld lately, any chance he has added an option to allow multiple instances of the same script?
    I don't mind at all. I am just gald that I was able to help out.

zbop: I am using the most current version of MortScript and that still doesn't allow multiple instances.
  8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeckman View Post
    I don't mind at all. I am just gald that I was able to help out.

zbop: I am using the most current version of MortScript and that still doesn't allow multiple instances.
    That's a shame. I can't think of any reason for not allowing multiple instances except maybe he's registering some resource/handle based upon the script pathname.
  9.    #269  
    As usual, this has only minimal testing, make sure to give it a workout if you plan to release with it. It took a fair amount of changes to implement, but the code worked on the first try which always makes me suspicious.

The following has been added in v1.09

1) Submenu support

To define submenus, add registry entries of the following format:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param#,# = "Submenu string"

For example, if you wanted to define a "File" menu item, with submenu items of "Open", "Save", "Print", you would define the following:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1 = "File"
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1,1 = "Open"
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1,2 = "Save"
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1,3 = "Print"

There is currently a limit of 10 top-level menu items and 20 items per sub-menu.

2) Checked items
    You can create checkmarks next to a menu item to indicate the state of a particular menu item. This is indicated by prefixing a "c:" to the menu item text, as shown here.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1 = "Bluetooth"
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1,1 = "c:On"
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param1,2 = "Off"

This effect can be used in the top-level menu or the submenus. Note: it is the responsibility of the script writer to make sure the state shown in the menus is consistent with the state of their plugin.

3) Grayed-out items
    You can temporarily disable menu items to indicate that they cannot be selected by graying them out. This is indicated by prefixing a "g:" in front of the menu text.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param3 = "g:GPS"

4) Separators
    You can add horizontal separators to logically separate parts of the menu (this can be done with either top-level menus or submenus). This is indicated by adding a menu item with text that begins with "s:" (any text after that is ignored).

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\{Plugin}\Param4 = "s:"

Once the menu item is selected by the user, you script is invoked with the variables PARAM and SUBPARAM with the value chosen. If no submenu is used in the selection, SUBPARAM is set to an empty string "". Note, the value passed will include the "c:" designator if it is currently checkmarked.

The following screenshots show an mock weather plugin menu utilizing these features:

And these are the corresponding registry entries for those menus:

ITEM = "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\MockWeather\Item1"
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "bmp", DIR \ "sun.bmp" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Line1", "59F Sunny 10mph NE" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1", "Display" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1,1", "c:Temperature" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1,2", "c:Forecast" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1,3", "Wind" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1,4", "Barometric" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param1,5", "c:Visibility" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param2", "Location" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param3", "Interval" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param4", "g:Radar" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param5", "Settings" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param6", "s:" )
    RegWriteString( "HKLM", ITEM, "Param7", "About" )

Note: if you define submenus, it will automatically disable the menu-cycling feature. I just couldn't find a scenario it made sense.
    Last edited by zbop; 11/14/2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Awesome zbop, will check it out
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ok this is embarrassing but you know what they say.... If your embarrassed you never learn...
    So here it goes could someone explain what this program does in simple explanation but still give a clear understanding of it.
    And if you have to be a computer genius to use it and where I could learn how to use it properly...
    thanx you so much for your time...
    -Devin
    Many of the programs in this forum use the Billboard plugin. There is also an example plugin on the first page of this thread. What I did was use that example plugin to learn and then let it grow from there.

Basically, this is a today screen plugin that can show customized information generated by MortScripts.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perasite View Post
    Many of the programs in this forum use the Billboard plugin. There is also an example plugin on the first page of this thread. What I did was use that example plugin to learn and then let it grow from there.

Basically, this is a today screen plugin that can show customized information generated by MortScripts.
    ok ok don't laugh now... but what's a mortscript?
    MortScript is a scripting language similar (loosely) to a batch file. The documentation is great, and provides a great way to learn how to use the code. Another great tool is the scripts that others on this board have written. If you want to do it, chances are someone's done something similar. All of the MortScripts are plain text, so you can see examples of how it's done. To download MortScript, visit http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...ew&action=view

Be aware, that many new features are included in the latest Beta versions that can be found at http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...st&category=16
  15.    #275  
    Any issues/feedback on v1.09 or can I stick a fork in it?
    zbop, the new features are really cool. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I see scottymomo's newest release is using it, so I'll bet you'll know soon if it works!
    Yeah, so far so good, although I only implemented the checkmark stuff (and realized that you have to look for either "string" or "c:string" in order to determine whether to check or uncheck a menu item (duh).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  18.    #278  
    Thanks for the feedback guys...

I'm gonna start merging info from the original post and the info for the new features, and then move everything into the first post. If I don't hear any different, I'll just keep the current version; if you find any bugs I'll roll out an update.
  19.    #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Yeah, so far so good, although I only implemented the checkmark stuff (and realized that you have to look for either "string" or "c:string" in order to determine whether to check or uncheck a menu item (duh).
    Oh yeah, if you want, I can change it so you never see the "c:".

I left that in there so that once your plugin is loaded, your code could be stateless (you don't have to save your current state in the registry). I thought that might be useful, but if it's more awkward I can pull it out.
    Hi Zbop,

I am wondering if the font type is changeable or not. In my treo 750, if I use the carrier line to display my program, the font is bold for both international characters (unicode) and English chars. But using your plugin, I can only get English chars bold while international chars (basically Chinese) are still regular form.

I am not sure if it is related to font type or not, but it is fairly important to me to have all fonts bold.

Thanks for the wonderful plugin. I do have a lot of fun with it.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.