1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I took a break from 'scripting to go deal with the taxman *OUCH* and look into some other technologies...

Is it just me or does this forum seem kinda dead lately? I've been away for awhile, but there weren't too many posts to catch up on...

Anyway back to the topic at hand, PPL.

For those that haven't seen it, PPL is a multi-platform scripting language, like Mortscript.

http://www.arianesoft.ca/page.php?1

Its claim to fame is the gaming API, but really it can be used for anything.
    It is very powerful and seems to bridge the gap between MortScript and writing native applications.

Pros:
    - Sophisticated language, more like real programming
    - Many features, allows you full control of UI
    (create professional looking apps)
    - Allows you to compile your scripts to .exe files!!
    - Includes a PPC IDE
    - Very very fast
    - Developer is very responsive to bug fixes, enhancements
    - Has a method to call any WM DLL function by name, means that
    even if there isn't support in the language, you can still invoke
    things directly.
    - Supports OO programming

Cons:
    - Longer rampup time
    - Costs money, there is a free version but it is too hamstrung
    in my opinion, you really want the pay version.
    - Too heavyweight for simple scripts, I had to install the IDE
    on my Storage Card even though I had 20MB free on my builtin flash.
    - Couldn't find a simple way to run scripts on PPC, it involved first
    loading the IDE, which had to be compiled on the fly since it is
    written in PPL itself.
    - Still sorta buggy, 3 times I ran into a problem where I had to reinstall
    the desktop version, may have been my fault or related to the trial version
    I had.

And did I mention it is fast? I ran a simple loop script (just increments a variable) on both Mortscript and PPL to test the speed.

Mortscript averaged 332 loops per second.
    PPL averaged 264,000 loops per second

Anyhoo, I'm not suggesting that PPL is better than MortScript since I think it serves a different purpose and I think it has some work to go still. But if you're looking for something with a little more functionality and horsepower and don't want the hassle of writing native applications, you might want to check it out. It's always nice to have options

If you have already tried it, please post your impressions...
    First I've heard of it. Sounds interesting.

Do users of PPL written scripts require a pay to install module? I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

Are the compiled exe's self sufficient or do they depend on some shared dll's?
  3.    #3  
    No the users don't have to pay to use the module, but I wouldn't recommend it for distributing scripts because (1) some of the advanced scripting features are disabled with the "free" version and (2) users also need to install the IDE as well. I don't *think* there is a way to just install a single .exe file with the script, as with Mortscript.

IMHO, it only makes sense if you want to compile to an exe.

The exe's are self-contained, no dlls necessary. I actually tried it and it seems to work well. Just a tad slow to load, but once loaded it runs like a bat outta hell
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    It is very powerful and seems to bridge the gap between MortScript and writing native applications.
    I think it's far closer to "writing native applications". From what I've seen, it's some kind of mixture of C++ and a "VBVBVB .$NET$&$quot$;. $Since$ $C$++/$C$# $and$ .$NET$ $are$ $spread$ $further$, $I$ $think$ $it$'$s$ $only$ $interesting$ $for$ $those$ $who$ $need$ $the$ $higher$ $speed$ ($well$, $at$ $least$ .$NET$ $often$ $is$ $terribly$ $slow$, $no$ $idea$ $how$ $they$ $compare$) $and$ $don$'$t$ $know$ .$NET$ $yet$ - $at$ $least$ $if$ $the$ $language$'$s$ $really$ $more$ $simple$.

Mortscript averaged 332 loops per second.
    PPL averaged 264,000 loops per second
    Of course. An interpreter is always slower than compiled code, especially with loops. I think PPL uses some on the fly bytecode compiler like Perl. OK, could've done something similar for MortScript, but it's an awkward work and would about double the size of MortScript.exe. And for MortScript's purposes, speed usually isn't crucial.

Anyhoo, I'm not suggesting that PPL is better than MortScript since I think it serves a different purpose and I think it has some work to go still.
    Can't tell about the "work to go", but it definitly has a completely different target.

But if you're looking for something with a little more functionality and horsepower and don't want the hassle of writing native applications, you might want to check it out. It's always nice to have options
    Indeed, but from the first impression, I think Visual Studio .NET might be the better choice in many cases. I'm no big fan of .NET, but at least it's a standard - and from Microsoft, which means it's widespread and will be supported for quite a while, even if it's worse.
    Or just use the free EVC / EVB. I still use EVC4.