1.    #1  
    As a longtime PalmOS user... I just switched to WM5 and I love it (mostly). But I have a bunch of "can you do this on the 750" questions.

If people can answer a few it would make my life so much easier:

1. On the 650 I could press CTRL, then "F" and I could do a universal search for, say "Brenda". The results would list "Brenda" in calendar, notes, contacts, etc. I know I can go to the Search "program" ... but is there a shortcut?

2. In contacts... when I go to Edit a contact, the majority of the fields at the top of each contact, I don't use (Job Title, Department...) and the fields I use MOST aren't NEAR each other... for example, I'd love to have the headings for Mobile, Home, Work and Other right next to each other. Is there any way to change the arrangement of the headings on the 750 itself. (By the way, I'm new to Outlook as well, so if the fix is in there... forgive me for the off-topic question)

3. In "Notes"... On the Palm, I had the option of arranging notes by date entered. They seem only to be able to be alphabetically sorted. Any way to change that?

4. I used to have PTunes on my 650... what's the closest facsimile in WM format? The TCPMP seems a bit bare bones (no "next" button for example).

5. I got sort of used to the flashing green light on my 650, always showing I had a signal. No flashing green light on this unit? If it's supposed to be... mine is busted.

5. I was able to post things on Cragslist with my 650... but the 750 returns a "your request could not be processed" or something. Any fix that anyone knows of? I'm connecting using HSDPA by the way (averaging 800kbps... love it).

I know I'll think of more... but I don't want to overwhelm everyone.
    Last edited by yoyo2000; 04/18/2007 at 12:04 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I know I'm new here... but c'mon.
  3. REC
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo2000 View Post

5. I got sort of used to the flashing green light on my 650, always showing I had a signal. No flashing green light on this unit? If it's supposed to be... mine is busted.
    There is no Flashing green light on the 750. It will flash red, however if you do not have a signal.

As far as you other questions, I can't help with as I am a new 750 user too. Be patient and I am sure others will chime into help.
  4.    #4  
    thanks rec.
    3. In "Notes"... On the Palm, I had the option of arranging notes by date entered. They seem only to be able to be alphabetically sorted. Any way to change that?

Yes, just click on "Name" (upper right corner above the size of the note) and you have the choice of Name, Date, Size or Type.

Marianne
    As a longtime PalmOS user... I just switched to WM5 and I love it (mostly). But I have a bunch of "can you do this on the 750" questions.

If people can answer a few it would make my life so much easier:

1. On the 650 I could press CTRL, then "F" and I could do a universal search for, say "Brenda". The results would list "Brenda" in calendar, notes, contacts, etc. I know I can go to the Search "program" ... but is there a shortcut?
    Hold down the Option key (bottom left) and press the left shift

2. In contacts... when I go to Edit a contact, the majority of the fields at the top of each contact, I don't use (Job Title, Department...) and the fields I use MOST aren't NEAR each other... for example, I'd love to have the headings for Mobile, Home, Work and Other right next to each other. Is there any way to change the arrangement of the headings on the 750 itself. (By the way, I'm new to Outlook as well, so if the fix is in there... forgive me for the off-topic question)
    The default PIM apps stink. For the above, check out Inesoft Address Book (www.inesoft.com)

4. I used to have PTunes on my 650... what's the closest facsimile in WM format? The TCPMP seems a bit bare bones (no "next" button for example).
    There are a few options to look at:

PocketPlayer
    PocketMusic
    MortPlayer

Nope, no flashing...but there is something that will make it flash in service if you want..but you're better off without it especially if you want blinking LED inidication for missed calls, voicemails etc (which you can get for free with TreoAlerts (check the WM Developers forum for Slingbox's creation)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    By the way the no-flashing while in-service is not just on the 750. I noticed this new behavior on my wife's Treo 680.
  8.    #8  
    Wow... this was all so helpful everybody. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I also came from spending a long time in the world of the Palm OS with a Treo 600. I took the leap into a 750 earlier than you though. Adjusting to the WM5 OS takes a little getting used too. While already learning some of the actions above I am still learning from many of the posts on this site.
    There are a couple of things that I still don't understand.
    One is the exceptionally long search time compared to the Palm OS when doing the search as outlined above.
    2nd is when you do hold the OK key to close a program I haven't figured out a button command to take me back up to select another program. I have to use the touch screen to select and then use buttoms to close the next. There should be some way to do this one handed.
    3rd is when I am in the calendar view the down key leaps multiple hours at a time. I haven't been able to progress through the day hour by hour. This is also confusing.
    Any help with these would be apprecaited!
    There probably are 3rd party apps that would take care of these but to me these basic functions should be part of a well thought out OS.
    The Start button allows you to get to the start menu.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I mean by "select another program" is when you are within the memory program that lets you close applications. If there is more than one program you want to close the rocker doesn't let you go back to select the next program.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    the side volume buttons get you back on "select" w/o touching the screen.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I mean by "select another program" is when you are within the memory program that lets you close applications. If there is more than one program you want to close the rocker doesn't let you go back to select the next program.
    I've basically replaced this functionality with SBP Pocket Plus.
    http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/
    I've installed it and then set...
    Option + OK = [Close button context menu]

The "Close button context menu" is in fact a drop-down menu that SPB pocket plus as in this screen shot:

So holding OK or option-OK, instead of bringing up the memory manager, gives you a drop down list of running programs and various options.

I also set my:
    OK = [Close] (an option that SBP Pocket plus adds) to close my applications instead of just 'minimize' them. Then I set some exceptions in SPB that will minimize instead of close.
    There are a lot of configuration options you can chose. But I like this app for the task manager menu. It also adds tabbed browsing to IE (because I don't like PIE Plus.)

Anyway, just a suggestion of a useful tool.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I don't recommend those hacks for you since you are too new to WM, but they do solve most your concerns.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    taylorh -

What program are you using for your screen shots?
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    taylorh -

What program are you using for your screen shots?
    Actually I that screen shot is a direct link to the SPB web site. As you can see it's a shot of a 320x240 screen, not a Treo 240x240.
    However for screen shots I use, of all things, "Capture Screen" by http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html
    Reason: It's free. Small, and simply does the job.

Here's an actual screen shot from my phone:

Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I don't recommend those hacks for you since you are too new to WM, but they do solve most your concerns.
    I would agree with this. Until you're comfortable experimenting with a utility like this to solve the shortcomings default of the built-in OS. You might want to avoid confusing yourself with it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/19/2007 at 04:34 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Actually I that screen shot is a direct link to the SPB web site. As you can see it's a shot of a 320x240 screen, not a Treo 240x240.
    However for screen shots I use, of all things, "Capture Screen" by http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html
    Reason: It's free. Small, and simply does the job.

Here's an actual screen shot from my phone:
    Or, you can use SBSH iLauncher will allows for OK (close) mapping, a task manager similar (and more customizable than PocketPlus) and a built-in screen capture util.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)