Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Well it looks like RIM the makers of the blackberrys have crashed their systems and it is affecting the entire Western Hemipshere.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/18/tech...ion=2007041808
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Single point of failure for your communications? That is RIMM.

I still like the concept of the upcoming Sprint 8830 though.
    We need a few more of these so all those blackberry heads will see why the ActiveSync concept is SOOOOOO much better. IF my mail is interupted I go look at my server right in my building....I have full control at all times.
    Microsoft is crowing a bit about this, because this underlines the main difference between Blackberry and Direct Push. One is centrally based with network Operation Centers, and the other one is dispersed to each company's own IT resources. Blackberry says their way means greater uptime for each individual user (which is probably true) while Microsoft says their service will never go down for the whole country or globally, which is also probably true.

I guess its a question of picking your poison, but with the central blackberry system it does not matter how much redundancy or resources you put into provisioning your push e-mail system, you are without your service as much as everyone else, ie. even congress and the president is not getting his push e-mail.

Surur
    I can't understand why businesses brag about trying to control costs, and then turn aroundand spend millions of dollars per month on BB subscription fees when a better FREE solution is available.

This outage is a joke and hopefully a wake up call.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    trust me surur. George Bush does not know push email. And I'm not a Bush-hater.
    I love this. Maybe someday people will wake up to the folly of completely depending on a third party for mail delivery. Crazy.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Like the old saying goes "Don't put all your eggs in one basket!"
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Let's not go getting all ridiculous about this. Most of us would argue that AS is not without its annoyances either. In fact, with my Treo, AS has been the single BIGGEST PITA I can think of.

That being said, it is freaking hysterical that corporate America grinds to a standstill because of this. However, no one will learn any lessons from this. They will continue to funnel millions down that hole, simply because it's an established avenue for them...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I can't understand why businesses brag about trying to control costs, and then turn aroundand spend millions of dollars per month on BB subscription fees when a better FREE solution is available.
    There isn't a Blackberry subscription fee, just data rates from your carrier (for Verizon it's the same price as for any other data solution). The only added expense is for the BES server software.

But you are correct. I'm glad I switched to Treo/AS.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    even congress and the president is not getting his push e-mail.

Surur

A very good point. I've been saying for quite some time that I think it's crazy that Blackberry is a US Government security approved device. Every message to or from a Blackberry device (in N. America) has to go to Canada and back. What's so special about that sort of security? I'm running 128-bit encryption on my Exchange A/S and on my 700WX. Isn't that the same level that RIM offers?

...Or, am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    A very good point. I've been saying for quite some time that I think it's crazy that Blackberry is a US Government security approved device. Every message to or from a Blackberry device (in N. America) has to go to Canada and back. What's so special about that sort of security? I'm running 128-bit encryption on my Exchange A/S and on my 700WX. Isn't that the same level that RIM offers?

...Or, am I missing something?
    no your not missing a thing....even DoD emails go to canada and back.....
    Uhh, my BB 8703e on Sprint is working fine. Emails, sms, internet (I'm on it now).

What is this the first ever incident of it's kind? At least my BB has never, ever crashed or locked up (tee-hee).

Seriously. It's RIM. They know what they are doing and will have this fixed very quickly.
    blackberrys are popular because they are so easy to use and never freeze. but I have to say treo has made the best ppc I have ever used. my wx never freezes. I think it did onvce. on my 6700 it was a daly thing soft resets.