Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any software that will allow me to set a folder that will have calls randomly pick a sound file, specifically an mp3 file, from the folder to use as a ringtone?
    Just a bit of a joke post, but how will you know it is your phone ringing when it changes ring tones all the time?

Anyway, a small mortscript could probably do the trick.

Surur
    Yeah, most people use ringtones to distuinguish a particular caller or to differentiate between your phone ringing and someone else's phone ringing. If you keep changing it, you will never know if it is your phone. But I would have to agree, that I'm sure a simple Mortscript should be able to do it.

I would probably place all the ringtones, especially those located under \Windows to \Windows\Rings (or maybe your SD card), then use Mortscript...

1. To list the files in the the \Windows\Rings or SD card. If SD card does not exist, then use \Windows\Rings or default ringtone.
    2. Assign the songs into an array.
    3. Use a loop to change the registry for the ringtone. If you want to randomize it, just add a random number generator within the loop.

Of course, I'm still a rookie when it comes to Mortscript. I've only written 1 app (cDate). Maybe other Mortscript developers will chime in.
    dang i was just talking about getting an app like this yesterday.

i really want one
    If more than one person is interested, I'll look into creating a Mortscript script to do it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detonate View Post
    Is there any software that will allow me to set a folder that will have calls randomly pick a sound file, specifically an mp3 file, from the folder to use as a ringtone?
    I am just like you, I am always wanting to play my ringtones randomly. I just dont know how to do it.
    So I guess there are a few interests. I'll work on something later on tonight. Basically, it will be a playlist, but used for Ringtones.
    Toysoft's Lightwav app for PalmOS had this capability
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I would love to be able to do this...!!!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    you guys read my mind!, basically i want to drop a bunch of mp3 ringtones in the rings folder... i dont think it will play them via the SD but i can paste them in the rings folder and if it randomizes it after each call that would be pimp...

its a way of saying YO I GOT BAD *** RINGTONES HAHA
    That shouldn't be too difficult, becuase I can run a loop checking the phone status. Once it's detects "Call in progress", then change the ringtone, otherwise, remain idle. So basically, as I recapped earlier...

I would probably place all the ringtones, especially those located under \Windows to \Windows\Rings (or maybe your SD card), then use Mortscript...

1. To list the files in the the \Windows\Rings or SD card. If SD card does not exist, then use \Windows\Rings or default ringtone.
    2. List the songs in an ini file, then assign the songs into an array.
    3. Check the status of the phone. If "Call in progress", change the ringtone. Otherwise, idle, but actually, it would keep looping to check the phone status.
    4. Use a random number generator within the loop to randomly pick another song in the list
    5. Go back to step 3
  12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    This is a great idea!
    Not "Call in Progress" but "the phone is ringing"

You can get what you need for that from my TreoVibe scripts:

x = RegRead( "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Status" )

If (x AND 65536)

play the random file

EndIf

Edit -- oops just remembered something... the PlaySound command in mortscript can only play wav files not mp3s, or midis.... so you would have to pass that sound file to WMP to play it which might cause WMP to start up in the foreground...unless you can figure out the command line action to have it play the file in the background.

you might also run into issues with the loop restarting the file too quickly rather than letting it play out and then repeat, assuming the phone is still ringing at that point..

good luck!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Thanks for the input Scotty.
    Why not just change the registry entry for the ringtone each time? You'll get a different one each time, right?
    Yep, that's what I plan to do.

I'm just going through the documentation on the latest version of Mortscript, but before I do, I'm having some soup. It's kind of cold here in the Chicago area.
    It will be easy changing the ringer for Known caller:
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Notifications\Phone\
    Wave=

The unknown caller will be difficult, but I'll work on the easy part for now.
    you're DA MAN eddie!!!

Don't get too excited yet. Theoretically, it's no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    you might also run into issues with the loop restarting the file too quickly rather than letting it play out and then repeat, assuming the phone is still ringing at that point..

good luck!
    Thanks. What I was planning is, to check if the phone is in call status (or maybe ringing as you suggested). If it is, then wait until disconnected. Once it has disconnected, change ringer.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 04/19/2007 at 11:29 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast