Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been searching for data to build a script that will display a flight status on the carrier status line. I thought about this the other day when I kept checking the flight status for someone I needed to pick up at the airport, I'm having a hell of a time finding a data feed, anyone come accross one, the script is pretty straight forward.

JSACKS<<
    Need a Condo in Killington, VT: http://vtcondo.jsacks.com
    great idea!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Looks like the xml data is out there... but for purchase. We might be able to parse web pages of airline flight status pages... but each one would need to be coded individually.

A first step in the process might be to provide a simple means of getting flight status, buy keying in a flight number.

For example:

http://www.delta.com/flifo/servlet/D...y&request=main

could be passed to PIE via a simple app that prompts user for airline and flight number.

-- JDC
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Looks like the xml data is out there... but for purchase. We might be able to parse web pages of airline flight status pages... but each one would need to be coded individually.

A first step in the process might be to provide a simple means of getting flight status, buy keying in a flight number.

For example:

http://www.delta.com/flifo/servlet/D...y&request=main

could be passed to PIE via a simple app that prompts user for airline and flight number.

-- JDC
    Following along that idea (although no need to go to PIE since ReadFile can read from a URL), here's a site that could be used for all airlines:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ate=2007-04-16

Parameters are:

airline

flightNumber

departureDate

The results page has a div "<div id="resultsBlock">"

so the data in the div could be parsed then displayed...in lieu of a nice simple xml result

That's exactly what I was saying... that we parse the file(s) -- in both our examples -- HTML format... AND provide an option for nice graphical output via PIE if we want.

Your example make for single point of search for all airlines. This is good.

It can have the same look and feel (and code) of Xcast. I'm too burnt out to start another major project. However, I'll lend my criticism gladly.

-- JDC
    me too

Im past burnt out as well.
    HELP WANTED
    MORE SCRIPTERS PLEASE
    Hey guys,

Send a quick to support at FlightStats. We have a non-commercial developer agreement (XML Api) that might be appropriate for obtaining the data to build such an application for the Treo.

Thanks.
    Hi Scott, so you work at Flight Stats? Did you mean send a quick email to support at FlightStats? That would be great!

EDIT -- Email sent...
    Last edited by scottymomo; 04/17/2007 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hopkins View Post
    Hey guys,

Send a quick to support at FlightStats. We have a non-commercial developer agreement (XML Api) that might be appropriate for obtaining the data to build such an application for the Treo.

Thanks.
    I also sent the following to the suggested address:

I represent a number of amateur developers who freely exchange code in the public domain related to Windows Mobile PPC applications for everyday use.

We’ve developed a number of utilities recently and shared them with each other and the masses at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

A specific request was made recently related to flight status at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=141224

Personally, I’ve helped develop a utility that gathers weather information, parsing an XML file from a site/service similar to yours.

This weather-related code is at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138134

We’d like to be able to develop a similar utility that provides us with periodic updates of flight status.

What are our options?

Best Regards,

-- JDC
    Last edited by jdcochran; 04/17/2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I must get serious more often.
    Guess who replied to my email?

jsacks -- we're doing the legwork for you here
    Last edited by scottymomo; 04/17/2007 at 04:48 PM.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Guess who replied to my email?

jsacks -- we're doing the legwork for you here
    Sorry, been away for a few days, are you saying you got a response? Is there a URL, or do I need to reach out to flight stats?

JSACKS<<

e-mail sent to support@flightstats.com
    I am a programmer looking to write a small no charge application for Mobile devices (specifically the Treo on Windows Mobile but it would work on any Windows Mobile device), to allow a user to enter a request for flight information and to have the device display the current flight status on the “carrier line” of the device for a set period of time at a set refresh rate. It was suggested that you have the data available in XML format (see the development thread at: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1#post1241937). Can you be of help? Would this data be provided free? Would you look for some credit?

I envision the app displaying: Flt: xxx, Dep: hh:mm Arv: hh:mm and have it alternate with “Data provided by: Flightstats.com”.
    Last edited by jsacks; 04/18/2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by jsacks View Post
    Sorry, been away for a few days, are you saying you got a response? Is there a URL, or do I need to reach out to flight stats?

JSACKS<<
    No worries, I've been having a nice email conversation with them on the topic..looks like there might be one issue though, will let you know and then turn you loose if it's a go

14.    #14  
    Well I gave up on getting the XML data I wanted so I decided to take the brute force approach and strip the data out of the fligthstats mobile site.

Attached is flightstat.mscr, it does everything but the refresh, I thought I would post 1.0 for comment before finishing this.

The program saves the last settings you had and prompts you through getting the flight data. A few questions come up.

1. How do I force numeric input or put the user in Numeric entry locked?
    2. How can I default todays date? (didn't see a date verb)
    3. Requires Mortscript 4.0 or better, I use the new iniWrite (I see that iniWrite does not put quotes around the value, iniRead does not seem to care one way or the other).
    4. What are other people doing about the shared space on Carrier Line, is there a handler that someone has put together to alternate messages? It would seem fairly simple to append data to a handler program with a value for number of times to display before deleting and frequency (i.e. [message],[frequency],[delete after x]).

JSACKS<<
    Need a Condo in Killington, VT: http://vtcondo.jsacks.com

4/24/07-Script removed pending discussion with flightstats
    Last edited by jsacks; 04/24/2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Remove script
    JSACKS -- do yourself a favor and learn how to play in the sandbox with the other kids.

Comments on your code and methods:

1) <sarcasm removed after a few deep breaths> I do not wish to be associated with the methods you used to arrive at and generate this script.
    2) I and ScottieMomo have been communicating directly with FlightStats.com on a convenient method to extract their data in .XML format. Your impatience has ticked them off (royally) and your posting of this code jeapordizes the use of the information by all (including yourself) as well as access to the .XML code sought by all.
    3) In your code header, you state:

#Data provided by flightstat.com, I have no affiliation with them, [SIC... "flightstats.com"]
    #nor is this data provided with their approval, it simply exists in
    #the public domain.

I ask you: what's to keep a commercial company from protecting their data in the future, especially when it gets repeately "scraped" <removed a rather harsh reference that really didn't apply>, whose codings impede access by the paying public? Sure, anyone can get at the same info on the flightstats web site. But the owner of the information controls the presentation.

4) I respectfully request that you remove your posting until we finish our communications with the owner of the data.

<sarcasm removed after a few deep breaths> Please unpost the code that is upsetting the very fine folks at flightstats.com. They, as well as enyone else, can make a strong case with a moderator in this forum.

-- Johnny Cochran
    Last edited by jdcochran; 04/24/2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Sarcasm removed because it serves no purpose.
    Wow, what did I miss?

Just catching up on my email...

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Wow, what did I miss?

Just catching up on my email...
    Um.. I think there was another Hijacking.

-- JDC
  18.    #18  
    First of all take a deep breath, if I offended you it was not on purpose, it's just a small programming project....
    JSACKS -- do yourself a favor and learn how to play in the sandbox with the other kids.

Comments on your code and methods:

1) You do not need, nor do you have, my permission to use "my" variable names in your code. Those variable names may have saved you precious milliseconds in your quest to beat the rest of us to the "finish line", but they have sentimental value to me personally and I cannot sanction their use by anyone but me and my code-homeys. Seriously, I can't keep you from cloning bits and bytes of my subroutines, but I can and will inform you that I do not wish to be associated with the methods you used to arrive at and generate this script.
    Two things, 1-When you put out things like scripts into the public domain, you need to expect they are going to be used. It's the concept behind "open source". 2-I was trying to stay in line with what you have developed by creating consistancy in the header/system portion of the .ini, it's a good model and should be adopted (credits to you).
    2) I and ScottieMomo have been communicating directly with FlightStats.com on a convenient method to extract their data in .XML format. Your impatience has ticked them off (royally) and your posting of this code jeapordizes the use of the information by all (including yourself) as well as access to the .XML code sought by all.
    Had you asked me to back off, I would have, I got the impression from you that you were doing the leg work and resented it, perhaps that's just the nature of the forum, but I started running with it, you did not post any updates since the 17th. You also suggest in your post of the 16th that parsing out the HTML would be a good alternative (I agree, just a little more tedius).

3) In your code header, you state:

#Data provided by flightstat.com, I have no affiliation with them, [SIC... "flightstats.com"]
    #nor is this data provided with their approval, it simply exists in
    #the public domain.

I ask you: what's to keep a commercial company from protecting their data in the future, especially when it gets repeately "scraped" by hackers, whose codings impede access by the paying public? Sure, anyone can get at the same info on the flightstats web site. But the owner of the information controls the presentation.
    Screen scraping has held up in court as valid, the site does not ask you to agree to a user agreement. I offered to give them credit for the data, their last response was they would consider it and get back some time in the distant future. Also, get real on this, how many people do you really think use this stuff at best a few hundred. Do you think they are loosing any revenue from this, the site I am taking the data from mobile.flightstats.com does not even generate revenue, they offer the data up for free on their own.

4) I respectfully request that you remove your posting until we finish our communications with the owner of the data.

Use the code for your own self-gratification. Tell the world that you did it. Yee Haw! We salute you. However, unpost the code that is upsetting the very fine folks at flightstats.com. They, as well as enyone else, can make a strong case with a moderator in this forum.

-- Johnny Cochran
    I will consider taking down the code, but would like to get a few comments first.

JSACKS<<
    Quote Originally Posted by jsacks View Post
    First of all take a deep breath, if I offended you it was not on purpose, it's just a small programming project....

Two things, 1-When you put out things like scripts into the public domain, you need to expect they are going to be used. It's the concept behind "open source". 2-I was trying to stay in line with what you have developed by creating consistancy in the header/system portion of the .ini, it's a good model and should be adopted (credits to you).

Had you asked me to back off, I would have, I got the impression from you that you were doing the leg work and resented it, perhaps that's just the nature of the forum, but I started running with it, you did not post any updates since the 17th. You also suggest in your post of the 16th that parsing out the HTML would be a good alternative (I agree, just a little more tedius).

Screen scraping has held up in court as valid, the site does not ask you to agree to a user agreement. I offered to give them credit for the data, their last response was they would consider it and get back some time in the distant future. Also, get real on this, how many people do you really think use this stuff at best a few hundred. Do you think they are loosing any revenue from this, the site I am taking the data from mobile.flightstats.com does not even generate revenue, they offer the data up for free on their own.

I will consider taking down the code, but would like to get a few comments first.

JSACKS<<
    mr gambini, that was a lucid, well-crafted retort.

I don't mind seeing my code morf into glorious spewings. however, this is the 2nd time that you produced something that was premature. in this case, we were in direct contact with someone that owns the data and were progressing to a mutually beneficial solution. I fear that your efforts will prove counterproductive, regardless of the legalities.

I'm just an engineer and not a developer. coding is just a hobby for me. I prefer to arrive at a solution efficiently... brute force has its place, but was not necessary in this case.

also, the fellars in this forum who have posted a few more offerings here (than your 10) are very good at collaborating. sometimes it takes a week or two to produce a solution that we all can use.

patience is what I'm suggesting.

jdc
    sjacks, can you please drop your script until we work out a better arrangment with flightstats.com. I suggest that nobody use this version.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast