Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Is there a program or app or anything that will let you overclock the 750? Sorry if there is already a thread on this but im on my 750 now... but thanks in advance for the views and replies.
    I have been using xcpuscalar since October and it works fine at 400mhz
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    what do you have yours overclocked to? and how stable is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehallad View Post
    I have been using xcpuscalar since October and it works fine at 400mhz
    The Samsung 300 processor in the Treo is not officially supported by XCPUScalar, so beware if you so choose to use the app.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I use ver. 3.0 and scale it between 200mhz and 400mhz based on CPU usage.
    I think overclocking the cpu on the treos or any PDA is dangerous because I build computers from scratch and have overclocked the cpus on those. It's easy to do but you can overheat the cpus somewhat.

Now what makes it dangerous is that if your cpu on the pda overheats, and freezes- what are your options? On a computer, we can simply pop out the fried cpu and replace it rather than replacing the whole computer.
    Yep I agree, I work in I.T. I deal with pc's all day long when something happens to the cpu, just toss it out and insert a new one, now on the other hand on the Treo if it happens where in the helll are you going to find a 300 MHz Samsung processor, are you going to risk taking your phone aprt and installing the chip, I dont think so. The phone is pretty fast already, if it aint brocken dont fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    Yep I agree, I work in I.T. I deal with pc's all day long when something happens to the cpu, just toss it out and insert a new one, now on the other hand on the Treo if it happens where in the helll are you going to find a 300 MHz Samsung processor, are you going to risk taking your phone aprt and installing the chip, I dont think so. The phone is pretty fast already, if it aint brocken dont fix it.
    yeah, and I don't know anything about those 300 Mhz Samsungs but are they soldered on the PCB or a drop in IC chip?
    I'm sure they are soldered. They don't want people trying to replace them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    I'm sure they are soldered. They don't want people trying to replace them.
    Yep- which raises the question... are you brave enough (or stupid enough) to risk a $500+ device just to get 100-200mhz more out of it whereas on a computer, you can replace the cpu for $40-120. But to each his/her own.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    I think overclocking the cpu on the treos or any PDA is dangerous because I build computers from scratch and have overclocked the cpus on those. It's easy to do but you can overheat the cpus somewhat.

Now what makes it dangerous is that if your cpu on the pda overheats, and freezes- what are your options? On a computer, we can simply pop out the fried cpu and replace it rather than replacing the whole computer.
    I would agree if you don't go overboard. However, the Xscale was designed to be Over/underclock from it's original spec speed. As far as the Samsung processor, I would equate that to ability of the Texas Instruments OMAP 850 processor, which was able to slide scale (based on processor usuage) and OC to higher than it's rated 200mhz. I was able to scale that puppy to a max of 240mhz and still have a stable device for well over a year without issue. I suppose the Samsung processor should be able handle the same types of increments.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I think battery life would be of concern, wouldn't it? It's bad enough as it is!
    "However, the Xscale was designed to be Over/underclock from it's original spec speed. As far as the Samsung processor, I would equate that to ability of the Texas Instruments OMAP 850 processor,"

From experience, they decide on the "stable speed" based on samplings, some could be 250 easily, whereas some at 175- etc. If you "happened" to get the cpu that was 175 and it has been forced into a 200- it has been overclocked already. Then when you overclock it, it gets bad.

How do you know which your "cpu" stand on the sampling spread? No one can tell. Just a bit of info for those of you "on the fence".
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    so i take that as a no to overclocking the 750... lol i love the 750 still wish it had a lil more umph behind it. oh well ill live. maybe ill just get an athena since its the size of a damn laptop... hmmm nooooo ill pass.

750s rule.

kr3st
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    so i downloaded the new xcpuscalar 2007 and i have my 750 set at 400mhz and it seems worlds faster... im just very scared to keep it here and how do i know if its messing anything up or what not... and its just the demo so there is no autoscale feature. whats everyones input on this?
    I scale mine at 200 to 400, hitting 400 above 75% cpu only. No issues since October. Helps battery life at the lower speeds which it is at most of the time. Not sure if I would run at 400 all the time though.
    Are you sure that XCPUScalar does anything? Dosen't seem to me like it's doing anything... Is there any tool to check the real speed (SI)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sharedworld View Post
    Are you sure that XCPUScalar does anything? Dosen't seem to me like it's doing anything... Is there any tool to check the real speed (SI)?

Thanks
    You can set autoscaling which scales the processor based on work load. There is a couple of indicators that you can display on the today screen (in the settings panel). If you display the indicator (shown as a percentage of processing) in the Windows task bar, you can see the indicator move up and down based on work load.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    You can set autoscaling which scales the processor based on work load. There is a couple of indicators that you can display on the today screen (in the settings panel). If you display the indicator (shown as a percentage of processing) in the Windows task bar, you can see the indicator move up and down based on work load.
    Yes, but is there a way to check the real speed, to check if the processor is going really faster? Because I'm not sure I could trust XCPUScalar that my Treo 750 could go up to 500 Mhz

When I'm trying with "Pocket Hack Master" more than 402 Mhz it's crashing the device...

If you know about any tool to check "really" the speed that would be great!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharedworld View Post
    Yes, but is there a way to check the real speed, to check if the processor is going really faster? Because I'm not sure I could trust XCPUScalar that my Treo 750 could go up to 500 Mhz

When I'm trying with "Pocket Hack Master" more than 402 Mhz it's crashing the device...

If you know about any tool to check "really" the speed that would be great!

Thanks!
    There is a safety setting to in XCPUScalar to only allow "safe speeds". Anyways, if you set autoscaling, you can set the maximum speed for each percentage point.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast