This is really weird. For the first month or so that I had my Treo, the stereo headphones that came with the phone worked great, both for listening to music and hands-free telephone calls. Suddenly, I now get weird echos and poor sound quality when listening to music via MediaPlayer, using those headphones. I tried a new set of headphones, and same issue, so it's got to be some sort of issue with the Treo itself. However, the sound is fine when the headphones are not plugged in and the sound also works fine when I play my Treo through my car using a male-male stereo cable with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter (which would lead me to believe that the jack itself is fine).

Any ideas? Could this be a software issue?
    Is the jack in your car absolutely identical (inspect them side by side) to your headphone jack?
    The reason I say this is the jack you used in the car may be just a tiny bit larger (almost undetectable) and may have bent the connectors in the treo just enough to give you a bad connection when you insert the headphone jack.
    Just a thought.
    Best regards,
    Austin A. Brady
    Quote Originally Posted by austinabrady View Post
    Is the jack in your car absolutely identical (inspect them side by side) to your headphone jack?
    The reason I say this is the jack you used in the car may be just a tiny bit larger (almost undetectable) and may have bent the connectors in the treo just enough to give you a bad connection when you insert the headphone jack.
    Just a thought.
    I think I'll try with my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter using standard headphones and see if the standard headphones work. I suspect that it will.

Another weird thing is that if I use the headset, it works fine speaking to and hearing people. It just seems to be the MP3 playback that doesn't work properly.

Could it be a software issue? I don't really see how, given that it plays properly through the speakers of the phone if I don't have the headset plugged in.
    Am speaking from something other than my mouth, here, but there's an adapter that treocentral sells to bump up the sound for stereo headphones. Something about that jack putting sound out at 8 kz but most headphones needing 16??? My headphones work fine, but have heard of folks needing the adapter to get decent sound in stereo for music, etc. Maybe you're on the fringe of this issue?? Sorry for halfa##'d answer here, but hope it gets you on the right track.
    I get that pretty often but a reboot generally clears it...