Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally took all the suggestions on here and bought a Slingbox. All I can say is WOW, this is so cool! I'm not really sure how often I'll use it but its nice to have.

Unfortunately I just have DSL at home so my upload is 768k. That still good enough to get an excellent picture on my Treo, but the picture isn't quite as clear when watching it on my laptop away from home.

Hopefully they'll offer a higher DSL package or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll offer FiOS in my area, but I doubt that.

But still, I'm very happy with my investment
    haha... I got a slingbox last night as well and I have to admit I am impressed. I have been using orb, but it was hit or miss.

Sometimes orb would work and sometimes not. When it wouldnt work I would get home to find my computer playing the audio from the TV tuner with no way to turn it off. I would have to reboot to get it to stop.

I give Slingbox and orb gets a
    I think ORB is awesome. I don't have any problems with it, and it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    I think ORB is awesome. I don't have any problems with it, and it's free.
    Orb is a good free solution if you can put up with the frequent headaches. Slingbox is a great out of the box solution that requires no computer, tv tuner card, etc. I love mine, just wish they had a blackberry client. Oh well, with free PAM, I am able to enjoy it anywhere anytime.
    768 upload isn't good enough? Mine is only 3-something and it looks OK (Verizon doesn't offer the higher speed on my block and cable is way too expensive for my liking). Wireless data fluctuation kills my quality though, not my home upload
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    768 upload isn't good enough? Mine is only 3-something and it looks OK (Verizon doesn't offer the higher speed on my block and cable is way too expensive for my liking). Wireless data fluctuation kills my quality though, not my home upload
    768 is good enough. It looks great on my treo and it looks great on my computer until I make the screen bigger or do full-screen. Even then its still alright, its not horrible and its not choppy, just not as clear of a picture.
    256 kbps is all that is required to get a quality picture and good sound for the treo. 512 or 768 is more than enough for cell phone tv watching. I am getting 29 fps and no cutouts with 300-400 kbps on my treo. Works perfect and awesome quality. I have been playing around with the slingplayer mobile settings on my treo and turned off automatic optimization. I set the bitrate other settings manually. Very nice.
    768kbps is an excellent upload speed--for residential internet, its in the top tier. I don't think cable is touching that right now in my area.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Yeah mines around 350 kbps and it works well. Though I have not tried it on a lap top yet.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I limit the bandwidth for the Slingbox via my router, and even on my large monitor at work, the video looks excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    768kbps is an excellent upload speed--for residential internet, its in the top tier. I don't think cable is touching that right now in my area.
    I have to pay extra to get 768kbps upload speed on Comcast. I wish I could get more.
    I have wireless internet that runs off of an antenna on my roof. I average about 8 megs down and about 1.5 megs up. It works great for me.
  13.    #13  
    After messing with a few settings the picture looks pretty good from my laptop away from my LAN now. I never meant that it was horrible or that it was choppy, just not clear, but then again I'm used to watching my HD lol, I have to remember what to expect from watching it over the internet.
    I'm thinking of picking up the Slingbox tuner soon.

Just one question, can you hear audio as well or is it strictly video only?
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 05/04/2007 at 11:44 AM.
  15.    #15  
    You get audio and video. If there's something you just want to listen to, you can select audio only.
    I'm on Vzw EVDO and the sling is almost unuseable due to choppiness. Is there any tuning people have tried to get smoother pics?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mine is really choppy too for some reason and I get good EVDO speeds in my area. Not really sure what the problem could be. I have plenty of upload bandwidth at home too.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    mine works great on my 700w. I'm in Los Angeles
    Former owner of... Kyocera 7135, Samsung SCH-i730...

Current owner of... Treo 700w
  19.    #19  
    Mine works great on my Sprint WX with EV-DO. It'll get a little choppy at times. Its usually choppy for a few minutes when you first start it because its optimizing, then it usually runs great. On the Treo, I'm usually at 14-19 or higher.

Do some speedtests on your home connection, just because you have the bandwidth doesn't mean you're getting what you're supposed to.

Also check the stats while you're streaming. Under Options and Advanced, check Show Statistics.

Right now mine's at about 15 fps and 300 kbps on my phone and its not choppy at all. If I stream on my laptop at work (on our T1) I usually get about 30 fps and its looks almost as good as it does on the TV, although its a little fuzzy on full-screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
    Mine works great on my Sprint WX with EV-DO. It'll get a little choppy at times. Its usually choppy for a few minutes when you first start it because its optimizing, then it usually runs great. On the Treo, I'm usually at 14-19 or higher.

Do some speedtests on your home connection, just because you have the bandwidth doesn't mean you're getting what you're supposed to.

Also check the stats while you're streaming. Under Options and Advanced, check Show Statistics.

Right now mine's at about 15 fps and 300 kbps on my phone and its not choppy at all. If I stream on my laptop at work (on our T1) I usually get about 30 fps and its looks almost as good as it does on the TV, although its a little fuzzy on full-screen.
    I'm pretty sure it's not my home connection...here are the numbers while it's streaming

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast