Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
    mine works great on my 700w. I'm in Los Angeles
    what service?
    I'm looking to pick up a Slingbox online, but I'm debating whether to go with a Slingbox tuner, Slingbox AV, or maybe go full out with the Slingbox Pro. I'm thinking of just going with the Slingbox tuner, so I can watch TV when I'm sitting around and waiting. I don't watch too much TV, except for some series, like Heroes. If I do, I'm fine with just watching anything. If I do have to record something, I already know well ahead of time for me to schedule it. I'm just looking for a good price.

BTW, does the audio come out in mono or stereo? Can the audio be heard through a BT headset?
    I was wondering with the slingbox tuner if having it on would slow down others in household who play video games onliine like world of warcraft. Is it a bandwidth hog?
    If you're router is capable of QOS, you should be able to prioritize if you want the gaming app or Slingbox to have higher priority. Also you should be able to adjust the UL speed.
    how do you adjust upload speed on a router? I don't even know what my upload speed is...maybe that's why my slingbox is choppy sometimes??
    i just did a speedtest at WUGNET and it says my download speed is 7.31mbps and upload speed is 1.48mbps. is that good? are those tests reliable?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orisky View Post
    what service?

Verizon
    Former owner of... Kyocera 7135, Samsung SCH-i730...

Current owner of... Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    i just did a speedtest at WUGNET and it says my download speed is 7.31mbps and upload speed is 1.48mbps. is that good? are those tests reliable?
    if you're getting 1.48mbps up, then it's not your home connection that's the problem.

to limit apps, you need a router that supports QoS. I have a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware and it allows for QoS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
    Verizon
    Damn...thats what i have. what kind of speed tests are you running. I'm in OC, but either OC, SF or Seattle I can't even go 5 mins w/o choppiness. Did you do any tuning either on the phone or the sling?
    Mine is pretty bad on VZW as well. Most of the time, I run it in audio-only anyway. That makes all of the difference in the world.
    I just ordered my Slingbox Tuner. Can't wait now. I have to wait about 2 weeks to get it.
    I'm in Chicago and have a VZW 700w. It does take a minute or so to Optimize but once you get going it's generally ok. I take a 35 minute train to work and there are two dead spots where I run into problems like clockwork. However, if I'm in a good signal area it works great once it's optimized.

I have the SlingPro, by the way, and it's great. I recommend it because you can have two inputs. That way, if your Tivo starts recording something or your roommate wants to watch TV you can still Sling away.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    I canceled the Slingbox tuner from Amazon.com and just ordered the Slingbox Pro from Newegg.com. I can't wait for it to come in. Newegg had a comparable price, plus I trust Newegg.

BTW, did any of you get your Slingbox with extended warranty? I forgot to order it, but wondering if I really need to. I'm thinking that there are no moving parts to wear out and it will be stationary on top of the TV. The only thing I know that could damage it is from a power surge. All my home electronics have surge protectors and I never had any problems with surges, so I'm thinking it will not be necessary for the extended warranty for the Slingbox.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 05/18/2007 at 04:22 AM.
    good choice on the slingbox pro...too bad you have to pay another 50 for that HD cable but it is worth it to be able to use the component connections for HD. It's great. Best tech purchase I've made in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I canceled the Slingbox tuner from Amazon.com and just ordered the Slingbox Pro from Newegg.com. I can't wait for it to come in. Newegg had a comparable price, plus I trust Newegg.

BTW, did any of you get your Slingbox with extended warranty? I forgot to order it, but wondering if I really need to. I'm thinking that there are no moving parts to wear out and it will be stationary on top of the TV. The only thing I know that could damage it is from a power surge. All my home electronics have surge protectors and I never had any problems with surges, so I'm thinking it will not be necessary for the extended warranty for the Slingbox.
    Re: the extended warranty...

In the Simpsons episode where Homer gets the crayon lodged in his brain, Moe knows he's jammed it far enough up there when Homer remarks, "Extended warranty...how can I lose?"

Enough said.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Just got my Pro yesterday and I LOVE IT!!!!

I just set it up temporarily to a direct cable source, so I can give it a demo run for the evening and show it off to my buddies. I have to rearrange all the audio/video stuff now, so I can take full advantage of the Pro.

One question for you all, can you use a stereo headset with it? If so, I'm now thinking of picking up an S9.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    You can definitely use a stereo headset with it. Just don't get a Jabra BT8010 - that thing does not work properly with the Treo at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Just got my Pro yesterday and I LOVE IT!!!!

I just set it up temporarily to a direct cable source, so I can give it a demo run for the evening and show it off to my buddies. I have to rearrange all the audio/video stuff now, so I can take full advantage of the Pro.

One question for you all, can you use a stereo headset with it? If so, I'm now thinking of picking up an S9.
    Yes but the sound is very tinny in my experience...
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    I probably wouldn't mind. I know I'm know going to expect 5.1 surround sound experience with it. I was at a bowling alley last night watching Jay Leno, but I couldn't hear his monologue. Therefore, I just had to put the phone close to my ear, but then I couldn't see him.
    Bestbuy.com has the Slingbox Pro on sale for $224.99 plus you get the HD Connect cable for free (regular price $49.99). Go to www.bestbuy.com and search for "slingbox". I think the Slingbox AV is also on sale but no free HD Connect cable.

Doug
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast