1. REC
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hey there treo land. I came over to the treo 750 from the blackberry world and am really pleased with the added capability that I have literally in the palm of my hand. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. I am getting anywhere from 24-36 hrs per charge on my battery life with medium to heavy usage. Is this good/bad/indifferent? Is there anything special that I need to know as far as the conditioning of the battery.

2. I cannot seem to get voice indigo to work on my phone. Am I missing something or is there any better podcasting software out there? I usually use my ipod for podcasts but being able to download podcasts on the fly would be pretty cool.

3. Is there a way to set up active sync to sync documents on the expansion card?

4. Lastly, is there a setting on the phone that I can use to to delete email from my server so that it does not in turn get downloaded to my desktop?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Last edited by REC; 04/09/2007 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post
    1. I am getting anywhere from 24-36 hrs per charge on my battery life with medium to heavy usage. Is this good/bad/indifferent? Is there anything special that I need to know as far as the conditioning of the battery.
    That's normal. Pretty much all Windows Mobile PDA phones have a 1 day battery life. Smartphones (Blackjack, Dash, Q) tend to last longer (it must be the touchscreen or processor.) PalmOS phones get about 1 day as well.
    Blackberry will last you a week. But it doesn't do much to suck power.

The lithium ion battery is best when it's kept charged and topped off. It's actaully not good to deep discharge it like old style batteries. Having said that I had a Treo 650 for 2 years and the battery is still operating at tip-top performance and it had it's share of deep discharges. Plus a new battery isn't that expensive.

You'll see max battery peformance after about 2-3 weeks. At 1 month you're definately at top performance. You should get 2-3 days on standby with no email checking and little to no use. But you will have to charge it nightly with just about any level of use if you want it to make it through day 2.
    24-36h is normal.

Things that help:
    1) The back light seems to suck a ton of power. I certainly can't operate it at low levels usually, so short timeouts are your best bet.
    2) Keep email checking to longer intervals if you can stand it.
    3) GSM is appearently more energy efficient than UMTS. But I don't know as if I've ever seen any evidence of this since I spend most of my day on UMTS.
    You can lock it to GSM, but that defeats the point of having 3G.

Keep an extra charger at work and in the car. Only 10 min on a charger can get you a 30%-40% boost.
    Make a habit of charging it every night.

I don't know on #2.

I'm curious about #3 myself. I hate how it syncs to "my documents". and clutters it. Who's great idea was that? Why not to a "Notes" folder like photos and everything else gets?

On #4. If you go to Menu>Tools>Options>Storage and set "Empty Deleted Items" to "Immediately". Then when you delete email on the Treo it'll delete that email on the server at the next send/receive (or immediately if on active sync push.)
    You SHOULD be able set it to "on next send/receive" but there's (obviously) a bug in the program because this simply doesn't work. The only thing that works for me is "immediately". Which sucks if you accidentally delete an email.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  3. REC
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks Taylor
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Regarding battery life, I find I can go 3-4 days without requiring a charge. I do live in an EDGE-only area and have installed GB-TWEAK to disconnect the data after 10 minutes of non-use so this saves some on power. In general, I am seeing similar or even better battery life than I did with my 650.
    You must have low usage habits and infreqent email polling. Would that be correct?
    My wife got days, but she only made a fewshort phone calls per day and checked email manaully 1-2 times per day.
    I use push mail and frequently read emails. A few short calls. A hand full of text messgaing. And probably an hour or two of "playing" (web browsing, videos, etc.)
    I'm down to no more that 20% by the time I go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by REC View Post

2. I cannot seem to get voice indigo to work on my phone. Am I missing something or is there any better podcasting software out there? I usually use my ipod for podcasts but being able to download podcasts on the fly would be pretty cool.
    Check out NewsBreak (http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/newsbreak.htm)

For streaming podcast management, check out the little program I wrote with MortScript called PocketPodCenter:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=140006
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Your usage is much higher than mine, true. Push email is the real killer.
    Actually I found that push email (at least with Seven Beta) uses less power than polling every 15 minutes. Seven actually uses nearly no power unless receiving an email or when it uses very small keep alive packets. I was actually quite happy to discover this.
    But Activesync may be bad. I'm not really sure. I've avoided it.