1.    #1  
    Can anyone with a Spectec wifi card confirm this? I found this posting on Palminfocenter.

http://pocketpccentral.net/help/palm/750_wifi.htm

Would love to get my SlingBox working with my 750v. I don't have a unlimited dataplan.
    Oh man that's funny. It refers back to my web site (gadgetech.info) as to where to get the .cab file turn off the proxy.
    That's cool.

Yes I have the spectec wifi card. It works but it doesn't work well. Here are the problems:

1) The handset has to remain on. Once it goes in to standby the Wifi shuts off. After waking up the Treo it does not-reactivate the wifi card unless you soft-reset it. Even re-inserting the wifi card doesn't work.
    2) Ever 60 seconds or so the wifi will just hang for about 10 seconds or so. Something is locking up the processing briefly. So when web browsing or even downloading files, it's barely noticeable. But if streaming music or slingbox, you'll see brief drop outs. After this 'pause' your networking resumes where it left off. So you don't lose data or connections typicall. There's just a brief 5-10 second pause or interruption.

My Spectec card just died one day a few weeks ago. While I was using it it just quit and never worked again... something in the hardware died. But I did use it almost daily until that happened.
    I would sometimes set the treo to turn off the back light but not go to standby while plugged in. Leave it plugged in, and on Wifi all night. And it worked. But like I said using slingbox proved to be a bit annoying because of the periodic freezing.
    But you CAN go to a wifi hostpot, connect, and use slingbox. Just set your buffer high so that when there's a drop out it doesn't impact you so much. You can set slingbox to 10 seconds, etc.

So know these things before buying it. It works, but not all that well. It almost always requires a soft reset to recognize it.

Now this only works where you have a PC that you can leave on. But what I did for home and work is set up bluetooth and activesync.
    When I'm at home I just select Acivesync>Connect bluetooth and it connects and sets up a network connection through the PC. This works just like Wifi would.
    So when I go home I connect and leave it connected until I leave the house. That way when I'm playing with with things that use the network they do so over broadband.
    Reason: The bit rates I get over EDGE in my house are pretty lousy and UMTS is barely 1 bar. Away from the house it's great, but in my house I kind of have to use the bluetooth.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Also if you want more info. Do a forum search on the word: Spectec
    You'll find some old threads where we discussed how well this thing does and doesn't work on the Treo 750.
    Here are some:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=125746
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134600
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for Taylorh.

Its too bad that no one has been able to get an ideal connection with their Spectec Wifi cards. You would think that someone would make a driver and wifi card that works on the 750. Hopefully, time will resolve this missing link.
    Spectec did issue an update driver (I'm not sure why) and it did help a little bit. But something is going on with the treo that causes that ever so brief pause in data at regular intervals. It's a pin in the behind.
    Losing wifi on standby is a normal thing with all WM5 phones (even the cingular 8525) it's a battery saving issue. But not recognizing the spectec card on wake up is a bummer bug on the 750.

I wish palm would just get over it and put Wifi in their products. They know we want it. They spend enough time dodging the question/request.
    Of course as soon as they do everyone will hammer them for poor battery life.

I don't know. I'm keeping my eye on that Motorola Q9 coming with Wifi, GPS, the works. But it's a smartphone (ick). Ugh so frustrating. I love what Palm has done to the OS... they "frixed" the annoying things about WM5 (and 6) and I don't want to use someone else's. But man...