Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have searched for this and asked questions but because it is all greek to me I have no idea.....

I am a 650 user but I am getting a 700wx. My favorite program is Chatter. I use it to push my work email (exchange server, I think) and my gmail through my chatteremail.com push account. I know there is not a Chatter program for the 700wx.

Is there a similar program that will push both my gmail>chatteremail.com to me as well as my corporate exhange account? Something a lot like chatter?

Thanks for any advice.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone???
    Why not redirect your gmail to your work address and connect directly to your exchange server for push e-mail at work using the built-in push e-mail client?

Surur
    There's that program called PushEffect. I haven't tried it.

There's the suggestion above -- forward Gmail to your work account which might be on an Exchange Server.

There's the concept of forwarding your Gmail to something like Fastmail.fm then setting up Outlook on your 700wx for IMAP but I don't think that will push the email to you.

There's the concept of forwarding your Gmail to a hosted Exchange service (4smartphone or mail2web or others) and from there you can get instant Exchange Server push goodness.

Or else you can buy and configure your very own Exchange Server for a few thousand dollars, acquire your very own domain name, and be in business. Howzat?

Seriously, though. Hosted Exchange Service with your own domain name is the most sensible. For a modest cost you will have an email address that will follow you forever and you control it -- you aren't submitting to The Man (Google, Yahoo, etc.).
  5.    #5  
    i believe my work email is on an exchange server. So i could make a gmail account on outlook. But how do I "push" my outlook mail to my treo?

TP: I have looked into mail2web and 4smartphone but that concept is so foreign to me i don't understand. anyone care to explain how those services work in layman terms??
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    i believe my work email is on an exchange server. So i could make a gmail account on outlook. But how do I "push" my outlook mail to my treo?

TP: I have looked into mail2web and 4smartphone but that concept is so foreign to me i don't understand. anyone care to explain how those services work in layman terms??
    For your work email, the company's exchange server must be accessible from the internet, not exclusively behind a firewall.
    If you can access "Oulook web access" (OWA) from the internet without VPN (OWA is web based access) then you will be able to sync/push email directly to your treo from your company's exchange serer.
    If the company's exchange server is locked up tight behind the firewall where you can't even access OWA (like my company is.) then you can't do this.
    I've had to resort to using a 3rd party solution where I go through a program that runs on one of my PCS at work to forward the email on to my phone (Cingular XPress mail.)

Using Mail2web....So here's how it works:

You get a new email account at http://live.mail2web.com/ for example. You'll get an email address like John@mail2web.com.
    You forward you email from john@gmail.com to john@mail2web.com

Then you go in to activesync on your Windows Mobile Treo and configure, "Add Server Source" and configure it to sync mail with you mail2web account.
    Mail2Web will provide the settings. This is also how you'd do it if you can sync to your company's exchange server.

Now as email is automatically forwarded to john@mail2web.com, it is pushed to your Treo.
    What's not clear to me is if you can configure it to send mail FROM john@gmail.com through your mail2web service.

It sounds like the better solution would be to get unlimited text messaging and sign up for pusheffects.com. It'll work directly with you gmail account without any forwarding. Probably the cleanest solution.

One more option is to try Seven's new beta email.
    However, I warn you that it's early beta and buggy, but it'll get better.
    Simply sign up at:
    http://community.seven.com/forum/main.php
    Download and install. And you should have gmail push to your phone. I just set it up with GMail and the push isn't always immediate like it is with my IMAP and Yahoo (IMAP) accounts. I'm not sure what the method Seven's servers are using to communicate to GMail, but it takes up to 2 min to get the mail (but no more.)
    But Seven's beta is an elegant solution. It's just got some big bugs which hopefully the reeal big ones will clear up this week.

What you could do (using Seven) is get an IMAP account at fastmail.us (free.) Then set up seven to have fastmail push to your phone (IMAP supports real time push.) Then forward your gmail email to the fastmail.us account.

EDIT:
    Last but not least. This isn't a push mail solution so I don't know why I'm mentioning it.
    http://gmail.com/app
    It's a java based email app. You'll have to install Java on your Treo (I can tell you how.) Then I can set you up with start menu icon that'll launch it directly. You'll have to click "Refresh" to see new email once it's running, but that's it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/09/2007 at 11:37 PM.
    Speak to your company techies about your exchange server. Thats the simplest approach right now, and they may even be able to configure your phone too. They could also inform you of whatever draconian policy they have regarding mobile e-mail access.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    Oh my gosh...thanks guys! Talyor, Seven looks very intriuging to say the least. Right now, I purchased an account to use with chatter at everyone.net (which gives me a chatteremail.com address). I think (but am not sure) that this is just like having a fastmail.fm account. Would I be able to keep my gmail forwarded to my chatteremail.com address and then set up Seven to push email that lands in my chatteremail.com address to my treo?

Also, would Seven handle my exchange work email address?

Why doesn't someone just develop a program exactly like chatter for WM? I would think that would have been done a long time ago!!

Does anyone use flexmail? I was reading their site and I know there is a new beta out there that may be getting close but it may still be buggy.

I thought about push effect but I want to use the thredded SMS hack and there are complaints that this does not work that well with pusheffect. Anyone have comments?? If it does work with the hack, would push effect handle my work account too? (I guess I just want one centralized email program for my two accounts so I can send/receive gmail using my gmail address and send/receive work email using my work email)...just like I have configured in chatter.

thanks!!!
    opinions on flexmail are mixed.. I like it but it's a little slow
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  10.    #10  
    What do you mean slow? Slow running on the phone or just slow receiving email. I can handle a few minute delay (I don't nned the email at the exact second...I just don't want to have to check it every 15 minutes).
  11.    #11  
    Also, (sorry!) with mail2web, can I send mail from the treo through mail2web using my gmail and work addresses (so people think it is coming directly from my gmail/work address) or will it be sent from matt at mail2web.com....

we do have owa at work. I just don't want to forward my gmail account to my work address for obvious reasons...I would rather keep them segregated.
    What do you mean slow? Slow running on the phone or just slow receiving email. I can handle a few minute delay (I don't nned the email at the exact second...I just don't want to have to check it every 15 minutes).
    slow running on the phone..takes up a decent chunk of memory while running...I would definitely check it out though:

http://download.pocketinformant.com/...exMail_WM5.cab
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  13.    #13  
    I'll try it out. Do you recommend it over seven?

So many waysto do NOT EXACTLY what I want to do. Oh well.
    I use PushEffect and Threaded SMS app and have not any problems. I send/receive email as well as SMS messages fine.

FlexMail appears to be a nice product, but PushEffect does not support FlexMail yet, due it being beta and buggy.
  15.    #15  
    i've been looking at pusheffect but can't find this:

Is pusheffect only for receiving emails or can I respond with a textmessage and it'll email right from there using my gmail address as the sender?
    Oh my gosh...thanks guys! Talyor, Seven looks very intriuging to say the least. Right now, I purchased an account to use with chatter at everyone.net (which gives me a chatteremail.com address). I think (but am not sure) that this is just like having a fastmail.fm account. Would I be able to keep my gmail forwarded to my chatteremail.com address and then set up Seven to push email that lands in my chatteremail.com address to my treo?
    You could do it either way. You could set up Seven to get mail directly from Gmail, in which case your email would push to your phone within a few minutes.
    Or let it forward to chatter.com and set up seven to get mail from there. If it's IMAP it'll push instantly.

Also, would Seven handle my exchange work email address?
    Yes. But only through the use of a PC desktop application called a redirector. It runs on your PC at work and stays logged in to exchange and forwards mail to Seven's servers.
    For your work email, you're better off just setting up the built in activesync email to sync/push email directly from exchange. Since it appears your company would support it.
    But you could use either.
    Why doesn't someone just develop a program exactly like chatter for WM? I would think that would have been done a long time ago!!
    Good question. Because Marc Blank doesn't like WM.
    Does anyone use flexmail? I was reading their site and I know there is a new beta out there that may be getting close but it may still be buggy.
    I used it and I think it works just fine. I had to use Cingular Xpress mail for work email so I couldn't use flexmail because it didn't play nice with xpress mail. But it's otherwise decent and should work directly with the chatter.com email for IMAP push.

So give it a shot setting up activesync with work. Give Flexmail a shot.
    If that doesn't work for you consider the Seven beta. The down side is seven beta is still a bit of an early beta and still buggy. But they are actively working on it and they are reading the forums constantly for feedback.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The new flexmail Release candidate is out here . They have solved their reconnect problems and in conjunction with fastmail, makes a very nice push email solution for wm5 people. I keep hearing people complain about 4smartphone and mail2web. But flexmail/fastmail works brilliantly for the fraction of the cost. $20 for flexmail and $20 for a yearly subscription to fastmail. If you dont need constant contact/calendar sync this is by far the best solution imo.
  18.    #18  
    I am trying to install the latest flexmail and it starts installing and I get an error message saying “Unable to delete \windows\.Tmail.exe. Please manually delete and try again”. Anyone know what the issue is? I just installed the SMS threaded program the AM.
  19.    #19  
    I am trying to set up flexmail and am a little unclear as how to make it push mail to me. I can get messages if I send/receive but I don't think they are flying to me right when they are sent. I have to hit send/receive. Any suggestions?
  20.    #20  
    ok...so I tried flexmail, couldn't get it to work too great. So far (when its working) i like push effect. However, I find that every once in awhile, emails don't come thru. It seems to be on gmail's end as I have it set to forward to my phone but every once in awhile I have to reclick enable pop3. It seems like I have to do this every morning. Am I crazy? Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? Otherwise, when it works push effect is great!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast