Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will the 750V take 4Gb cards, does anyone know?

Scandisk are asking to check firmware first.

I have OS 5.1.195 (build 14959.2.3.2)
    S/ware TREO750-1.12-VFU
    H/ware Version A

thanks
    Hal
    Does anyone know if this site has a search function? It would be cool to have this feature because then the post above me could search for, say, "4GB SD" and come up with dozens of previous posts on this exact same topic. Call me an idealist, but...
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Does anyone know if this site has a search function? It would be cool to have this feature because then the post above me could search for, say, "4GB SD" and come up with dozens of previous posts on this exact same topic. Call me an idealist, but...

Well I just gave your suggestion a try.
    and these were a couple of the results:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=4gb+wm

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=4gb+wm

Good suggestion conekkted!
    Mods could we make this a 'Sticky'?
    Just call me Berd.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, there is a search function, which, if you use it brings up a miriad of threads that contain '4GB' - none though that I could see are from a 750V user using them. A few 650s and a 700, which logically says that the 4Gb is ok on a 750V, but as Sandisk made the suggestion of checking, I felt it a worthwhile question - hoping to get a 'yes' (preferably!) from someone physically using one...? If there is no one, then I might be the guinea pig and let you all know...

Hal
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    There have been many threads here with people trying 4GB cards. I don't recall seeing that anyone was successful over the long term. Sometimes the card is not recognized, sometimes it shows up for a while and then disappears. Some 2GB cards have the same problem, though the SanDisk 2GB has worked for me (PQI did not.)

My take on it is to not bother with 4GB cards at this time.

You may want to restrict your search to this forum section.
    OK, I won't be such a smart alec this time. But honestly we have beat this horse to death.

I would NOT spend the money on a 4 GB card. Most people have had no luck with these. Some people reported having initial success only to later be disappointed with intermittent disappearances of the card from the explorer view. However many of us have been 100% successful with 2 GB cards. So that seems to be the magic number. I bought a 2 GB Sandisk card from my local Frye's store and have never had the slightest problem.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    I have used a 4GB Transcend 150X in a 650 for3 months and it has now been in my 700P for 4 months without issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I have used a 4GB Transcend 150X in a 650 for3 months and it has now been in my 700P for 4 months without issue.
    I think they are talking about WM
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    And to be more precise, MiniSD cards in the 750. SD in something else doesn't count.
    My bad. . . . . .I forgot the 750 used a mini --- I knew I was "crossing over" on the OS --- but I did want to lay it out there that the 4GB Transcends are working with the PalmOS . . . . . .
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    There seems to be a generic issue with MiniSD cards with a wide variety of devices and operating systems. When I was looking at user comments at Newegg and Amazon for MiniSD cards, there were many complaints about compatibility issues, with some phones and devices (the Motorola Q was often named) being unable to see some cards at all.

From what I can see, it is not an OS issue but perhaps some sort of electrical interface tolerance issue with the MiniSD spec. You don't tend to see this sort of problem with regular SD cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    There seems to be a generic issue with MiniSD cards with a wide variety of devices and operating systems. When I was looking at user comments at Newegg and Amazon for MiniSD cards, there were many complaints about compatibility issues, with some phones and devices (the Motorola Q was often named) being unable to see some cards at all.

From what I can see, it is not an OS issue but perhaps some sort of electrical interface tolerance issue with the MiniSD spec. You don't tend to see this sort of problem with regular SD cards.

Alot of people have had trouble w/ 'micro' and WM also.
    There's a thread over there.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=disappearing
    Just call me Berd.
    I bought a generic 4gb off ebay. It still does suffer from the sporatic disappearing in the 750, but I think that is a problem with the hardware/unit. Not the card.

Working fine since Feb 07. Have over 400 mp3's.

No problem this far, now waiting for the 8gb hahah..

-alex
    stageworks@usa.net
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Of course there are two different types of 4Gb cards, SDHC ones and non SDHC ones. Those that have had success were using non SDHC cards.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Well i havent tried a 4gb card, but i got a kinngston 2gb from fry's and its working great...btw i think that 2 gb is good enough...what are you guys putting on your cards...movies...???
    I purchased a 4 gig card, once I opened it, I could not get my Cingular Treo 750 to recognize it. I sent it back and swapped for two 2 gig cards and they work great.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    The 4gb miniSD cards have issues on the ipaq 6900 too (also wm5)

http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15374

I'm upgrading to the Treo 750 this month. I was disapointed to read here that 4gb cards act the same as they do on the 6900.
    most dont read at all, the ones that do work for a few weeks and then turn folders into random asci characters or corrupt the card all together.

I guess I'll be using a 2GB card for now. Let's hope the new WM6 rom update fixes things this summer !
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Even 2gb Mini SD cards have problems on the 750s I have tried pretty much every brand there is. Cingular's and Plam's purchased with specific notes on them that they are 750 compatible and I have yet to get any to work for more than a couple of hours before I have to re-insert or soft reset.
    Palm Inc., has yet to take responsibility for this product.... Definitely the last time I let myself get ripped off by Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    And to be more precise, MiniSD cards in the 750. SD in something else doesn't count.
    Actually, you can use a miniSD in a 680 or 650 - provided you use the adaptor card that comes with it. Works great.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Two points:

1) the original poster was a "newbie" and may not know about the search function. He is also asking about a specific brand related to firmware on his device. Hey, we were all new once so give a little bit of a break;

and

2) sometimes searches give information that is old and/or irrelvant. What is wrong with asking a question and hoping for any new recent developements. If the same question was posted several times a week, I could see it, but I don't think the subject of 4gb miniSDs comes up that much, at least it wasn't when I did my search a few days ago.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast