1.    #1  
    I'm currently month-to-month with Sprint on my original T650. This May, I'll be eligible for the "every two years / $150 off" deal. In any case, I'll be on the fence till this May/June. (Decisions, decisions: T700p; rumored T755p; T700wx; Future WM Treo w/Windows Mobile 6 OS?)

I: INTRO:

Before I start, are there other sticky/documentation to transfer basic PIM and uSER ID info from Palm to WM OS Treos? (Other than these)

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...33561)#upgrade
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wxsprint/

+++

II: T700wx FIRST THOUGHTS:

I was at a Sprint store today and was quickly fiddling with the T700wx. Here are my thoughts thus far:

+ Voice Mail: I really like the voice mail feature where you have the icons for pause, save/delete, rewind and fast forward. Brilliant!

+ Buttons: The "OK" and "Windows" button seem fairly intuitive. I like how the Red and Green buttons are similar to the T650 (not like how it is currently real estated on the T700p). I would miss the Calendar and Note/envelope button from the T650, though, cause I use them alot now.

+ Option Button? Wonder if like the Palm OS buttons, if the 2 remaining WM keys ("OK" and "Windows") are programmable for different apps?

+ The built-in "Today" screen: Very functional and multi-tasky. Another brilliant move. From reading other threads on the Treo 700w/wx, it looks like the splash screen can me modded.

+Antenna: OK, I still like the external antenna on the WX. Don't loose it for future WM Treo versions!

+UI: Seems very intuitive (at least at first glance), a la using a Windows laptop/desktop.

+++

III: STYLETAP vs. RE-BUYING 3rd PARTY APPS.

Speaking of Styletap, how easy is it to incorporate it into WM...more steps/clicks to launch apps? Is it worth it or really a pain? Better to be native then emulative? See next paragraph...

As much as I love my T650 and if I ever get a WM Treo, there are things that I'd like to port from my Palm/Access OS to make it more traditionally "Palmy," namely the biggie 3rd party apps:

1) Agendus: I think that has just been released for WM.
    http://www.iambic.com/agenduspro/wmsmartphone/

2) Handmark Express: same deal...
    http://www.handmark.com/products/detail.php?id=935

3) Web Browser: The older Blazer browzer is okay on Palm, Windows Mobile Browzer...eh! But I've been hearing about great things with Opera.

4) Docs to Go...not available for T700wx? I think Docs to Go knocks the socks off the WM version...
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...techspecs.html

5) E-mail. I'll miss Chatter as it's not availble for WM platform(?) For personal use I currently use T650, Gmail/Chatter/Fastmail IMAP server. For personal e-mail (gMail) use, What's the best 3rd party mail app for WM?

6) Splash Wallet
    http://www.splashdata.com/splashwallet/pocketpc/

7) PocketTunes w/StyleTap
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=requirements

+++

IV: WM6

I've heard lots about this and won't even consider getting a WM Treo until I see a demo of this revamped OS. It might make the UI so much easier than it currently is. Your thoughts?

+++

V: SPRINT POWER VISION: What has been your experiences been with this for those who had a T650 (Normal Vision) then changed to 700WX's Power Vision...any basic changes/notices that you think should be mentioned?

+++

VI: LAST THOUGHTS:

Books...Good? Bad? Eh?:

"Now you Know Treo 700w"
    http://www.amazon.com/Now-Know-Treo-...bosnation0e-20

"How to Do Everything with Your Smartphone, Windows Mobile Edition"
    http://www.amazon.com/Everything-You...bosnation0e-20

Other books I missed?

###
    Last edited by KevMeister; 04/08/2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    I moved on from a Treo 650 to a WM device (now use the Treo 750 as my primary device) and I'm not looking back to Palm OS until there are MAJOR REVOLUTIONARY changes.

Some replacement apps:

Agendus --> Agendus or Agenda One (I use the latter)
    Handmark Express --> exists on WM so no change
    Blazer --> PIE - I actually like PIE MUCH MUCH more than Blazer. Faster at rendering, displays full HTML websites in One Column mode better, etc.
    Email --> I just use an exchange server (mail2web, 1and1, 4smartphone.net)
    SplashWallet --> I think there's a WM version, but there's also eWallet and FlexWallet
    PocketTunes --> I use WMP for my music, but I also use TCPMP for videos. Works well.

WM6 - There hasn't even been a device leaked that is running WM6 for sprint. I'm sure it's coming, but not sure when.
    Kev, I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I am currently month-to-month with sprint on my primary phone (treo 650) and have a second line that I added later (samsung A900 that does not expire (go month to month) for another year or something).

Anyways, I am struggling with the same issues you are as trying to decide between the 700p, 700wx or waiting for the 755p. I think I am going to rule out the 700p as most of the complaints people have now are with the 700p (although I know some people have it configured perfectly and love it...

I am hoping that if I stay with the POS that the 755p will fix many of the issues people have with the 700p and the new form factor for me is a plus so long as the internal intenna is not a step down (b/c I really don't mind the external intenna).

But, lately I have been reading a lot about the Windows-platform and people seem to like the 700wx a lot. My only complaint with the 700wx (not having one myself - yet) is that the screen resolution is lower (240x240). Thats a step down from the 650. Anyone care to comment on this? Is it noticable? If I wach slingbox or a movie will I notice a difference cmpared to the 650 or 700p?

So my struggle is between the 700wx and the 755p. All of the 3rd party apps I love and depend on are palm-based. But I can't stand how unstable the POS operating system can be. And, it looks like the future of smartphones is heading towards the windows side of things.

Some programs I use that if anyone has any recommendations for windows-based replacements:

Chatter: I use the basically the same set up as Kev with gmail => gmail to chatteremail.com (instead of fastmail) to chatter. I also have a work exchange corporate account that I use with chatter as well. I am a bit confused with the concept of an exchange server and the use of 4smartphone, mail2web, etc. Is there a program that is set up like chatter in terms of setup and everything? How hard is it to have my own exchange server, how much does it cost?

Splashmoney: anyone know any good replacements? I use it for basic checkbook balancing, etc. Nothing to intense. I saw WebisMoney2 is avail and looks promising...anyone care to comment?

Thredded SMS: looks like people have been pretty successful hacking this. Is it just like POS' SMS program and is it stable?

Vindigo: I imagine there is a eondows-version but haven't checked yet...

Slingbox: I want to set this up (I just got the Slingbox AV) and I don't think it will work too well with my 650 but haven't tried...

Other concerns: Will sprint try to charge me to switch to power-vision? I only pay $10/month for regular vision but I am hoping I can renegotiate my contract to include power-vision at the same price....

I have also considered the Sero plans (Kev, you should look into this if you haven't already). They look really cheap and appear to include Power Vision. But my concern is: can I port my exisitng Sprint phone number to a Sprint Sero service line? Also, since I have my newer 2nd line has not expired yet (but is free, I don't pay anything for it), what will happen to that line. I would prefer to get rid of it as I don't really need it...if I cancel my first line (which is month to month) will they charge me a termination fee for the second line??

Sorry for this extremely long post but these are my main concerns.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    Kev, I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I am currently month-to-month with sprint on my primary phone (treo 650) and have a second line that I added later (samsung A900 that does not expire (go month to month) for another year or something).

Anyways, I am struggling with the same issues you are as trying to decide between the 700p, 700wx or waiting for the 755p. I think I am going to rule out the 700p as most of the complaints people have now are with the 700p (although I know some people have it configured perfectly and love it...

I am hoping that if I stay with the POS that the 755p will fix many of the issues people have with the 700p and the new form factor for me is a plus so long as the internal intenna is not a step down (b/c I really don't mind the external intenna).
    The more Palm hacks the Palm OS to do things to keep up w/ WM, the more unstable it'll become. I think it's fairly evident with the Palm OS devices these days

But, lately I have been reading a lot about the Windows-platform and people seem to like the 700wx a lot. My only complaint with the 700wx (not having one myself - yet) is that the screen resolution is lower (240x240). Thats a step down from the 650. Anyone care to comment on this? Is it noticable? If I wach slingbox or a movie will I notice a difference cmpared to the 650 or 700p?
    I haven't noticed much of a difference as I was able to adjust very quickly. It is noticeable when you compare them side-by-side and when you shrink the text size, but otherwise, I don't see much of an issue with pics and vids.

So my struggle is between the 700wx and the 755p. All of the 3rd party apps I love and depend on are palm-based. But I can't stand how unstable the POS operating system can be. And, it looks like the future of smartphones is heading towards the windows side of things.

Some programs I use that if anyone has any recommendations for windows-based replacements:

Chatter: I use the basically the same set up as Kev with gmail => gmail to chatteremail.com (instead of fastmail) to chatter. I also have a work exchange corporate account that I use with chatter as well. I am a bit confused with the concept of an exchange server and the use of 4smartphone, mail2web, etc. Is there a program that is set up like chatter in terms of setup and everything? How hard is it to have my own exchange server, how much does it cost?
    I use mail2web's free version but you can't change the return address to the email address you want. I don't actually use Exchange for email, I just use POP gmail because I don't need my email to hit the exact second someone sends it (although it is neat). I just sync my PIM info because I use my Treo 750 during the week and the Blackjack on weekends.

Splashmoney: anyone know any good replacements? I use it for basic checkbook balancing, etc. Nothing to intense. I saw WebisMoney2 is avail and looks promising...anyone care to comment?
    I've used SPB Finance for a while and loved it. However, due to my dual device setup, I now use an online checkbook - clearcheckbook.com. It gets the job done although it doesn't have as many features, but now I can see my balances from any computer or device.

Thredded SMS: looks like people have been pretty successful hacking this. Is it just like POS' SMS program and is it stable?
    It's almost identical to the Palm OS version, but I don't know how stable it is by hacking. The 750 came with it and it works great on my Treo.

Vindigo: I imagine there is a eondows-version but haven't checked yet...
    not sure what vindigo is.

Slingbox: I want to set this up (I just got the Slingbox AV) and I don't think it will work too well with my 650 but haven't tried...
    Don't even try with the 650, it doesn't have 3G data so it'll just run really choppy, if it even runs at all. On the 700wx it works GREAT.

Other concerns: Will sprint try to charge me to switch to power-vision? I only pay $10/month for regular vision but I am hoping I can renegotiate my contract to include power-vision at the same price....

I have also considered the Sero plans (Kev, you should look into this if you haven't already). They look really cheap and appear to include Power Vision. But my concern is: can I port my exisitng Sprint phone number to a Sprint Sero service line? Also, since I have my newer 2nd line has not expired yet (but is free, I don't pay anything for it), what will happen to that line. I would prefer to get rid of it as I don't really need it...if I cancel my first line (which is month to month) will they charge me a termination fee for the second line??
    Don't have Sprint so I can't answer the above

Sorry for this extremely long post but these are my main concerns.

Thanks!!!!!!
    My responses are in bold above.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    ...Other concerns: Will sprint try to charge me to switch to power-vision? I only pay $10/month for regular vision but I am hoping I can renegotiate my contract to include power-vision at the same price....

I have also considered the Sero plans (Kev, you should look into this if you haven't already). They look really cheap and appear to include Power Vision...
    Yesh. The money shot question. Being in a position of 'month-to-month' ideally gives you more leverage. I will be with Sprint 5 years this August (when I got the Treo 300 in 2002. Jeez...time flies.) I would just love to transition to a basic Power Vision package at $10/month. If I could truly leverage, would love to access its GPS services ((here and here) other cool features for just a little bit more as a back up to when I get a full-fledged GPS system later down the line (I hear Tom Tom does great stuff.) Then there's Sprint's idea flirting with its All-You-can-Talk-offer, (which is currently being tried in the SF Bay Area), if combined with a Sero or other discount through an employer, the savings could be extensive.

Regarding Sprint's Multimedia services on Power Vision (Sprint/MobiTV; Sling Media's Slingbox; Video Mail; Internet radio, etc.) these would be nice wow features but not a real necessity. For those who are M-M and can leverage a decent price on these without breaking the bank, count me in.

I hope by the time the 755p is released, Sprint should have ironed out all the kinks in its Power Vision network including WiMax.

Have I missed anything regarding Sprint (Vision/Power Vision)?
  6.    #7  
    duplicate post! deleted!
    Last edited by KevMeister; 04/08/2007 at 07:40 PM.
  7.    #8  
    Hijacked from another thread: Official Palm O/S vs. Windows Poll

Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    palm os for its simplicity and speed.
    awesome useability

i went from HS visor-->HS treo 600-->Palm treo 650--->Samsung ip-830w--->back to treo 650--->treo 700p
    WM5 is cool but not usable as a mission critical mobile device. I need to use while driving and WM5 was too complicated and not one handed enough for that.

My opinion
    I'm hoping WM 6--with Palm's excellent tweaking--will allow easier use for one-handed use along with location based services, GPSs, etc.

Hijacked from the same thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    ...Then there's that great benefit of "multitasking" with WM...yeah right....right now, on my 680 with the antiquated Palm OS, I am running Chatteremail (push mail) while listening to streaming radio over the internet (pTunes), while browsing the internet....all at the same time. How much more "multitasking" can you really stand on a stupid phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Now try making (or receiving) a phone call. Oh dear. Say goodbye to your downloads and mail sessions. PalmOS can't do data and voice at the same time. Seems "stupid phone" (your words) is bang on then.

Try running TomTom (or any other "normal" app) then answer a call on the speakerphone. Or read an SMS. Or lookup a phone number. Oh dear again. To get to any other app, even the launcher, the foreground application bails out. So you have to restart it from scratch. In TomTom's case, that means waiting for the maps to reload, for the bluetooth link to be re-established to the receiver, then for it to work out your current position, and re-calculate your route. By which time you've probably missed your turn-off. Great fun while driving, that is...
    This information is good to know in advance.
    Last edited by KevMeister; 04/08/2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: more editing
    I dunno what thread it was in, but it said something along the lines of most properly-written Palm OS apps take u back exactly where you left off once you go back into them. It's not true multitasking but it's been Palm OS's answer. When I'm sending a text and a call comes in, I can answer the call, and then when I'm done (or while on a call) I can switch back to the text and it's exactly where I left it, no data lost.

That being said I'm also considering the switch to the 700wx, but wondering about the one-handed functionality as well as whether I should wait for WM6 or not.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  9.    #10  
    Well, with recent news I'm back on the fence. I just hope my T650 doesn't crash that often in the next 8 months.
    So far the one-handedness on the 700wx is much better than I expected.

The screen difference is noticeable side by side but it quickly fades and after just a little bit, its no biggie.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Well, with recent news I'm back on the fence. I just hope my T650 doesn't crash that often in the next 8 months.
    I want to expand on this theme. When my T650 had crashed, the one thought that stuck in my mind as the most...ridiculous and counter-intuitive was this: In light of the more stable WM OS as a benchmark, it's as if the Palm OS/Access OS community has no choice but to re-submit their third-party app register passcodes, especially when people like myself who have a cringe-inducing program installed on their Treo like CrashPro.
    Last edited by KevMeister; 04/13/2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: better wordsmithing
  12.    #13  
    What's a good Chatter e-mail app replacement for WM Treo? Specifically, WM 6.1. I use Gmail as my Web-based e-mail. I understand Gmail finally has IMAP support. Yipee!