1.    #1  
    I searched for this and i didn't find the exact answer i'm looking for...

What is the difference between the SMS and the Text in the VZW treo 700w?

It looks like that's the same thing. So why is everyone doing this install etc?

Is the SMS free or what?

Thanks.
    Text is SMS. I'm assuming you're referring to the threaded SMS app. It changes the environment you send/receive texts so it is more like an IM client (conversation style) instead of like email (individual messages).
  3.    #3  
    but the other person has to have the SMS installed as well... right?

This feature is not free either... is it?
    SMS = Short Message Service

Practically all current phones have the ability for SMS.

What you may be referring to is the Threaded SMS app that people are installing. This allows you to see your SMS messages in an IM like structure.
    Think of a text message as a short little email sent straight to someone's cell phone. It could be a Treo (hooray) or a Samsung Basic (boo). Either way the recipient will get it. Max. character length is 150 characters.

SMS = text message. SMS stands for Short Message Service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

Threaded SMS = our shorthand way of describing a nice little innovation that Palm, Inc. added to the Treo, first in the Palm-based phones and then in their Windows-based Treos. Palm made it so that your messages to and from a person show up in a thread, just like IM.

These little messages ain't free. Check your service provider for the cost. They'll ding you per message (like 15 cents each) or you can buy in bulk (like 300 messages/month at a given price) or you can buy unlimited service (text until your thumbs drop off for $19.95).

You can send these messages to mobile phones outside the U.S. They'll receive these messages from you just fine. The price per message is higher.

The 700wx doesn't have this threaded SMS stuff natively installed. The 750 does. Through the Glories of Treocentral there is a hack by which you can install this threaded software on your 700wx. Look in the 700w/700wx forum. Codyppc seems to be the most ardent supporter of this fabulosity. He helped me, anyway.

If I missed the mark on my response to your question, sorry.
    So for threaded sms on the default program that comes with Treos. If I have a 755p and my buddy has a 680p and I send the following on it:

Chad : HI
    Tim: hows it going?
    Chad : good you ?
    Tim : Not bad are you going to make the party?
    Chad : Should be there see ya soon!
    Tim : Later

ok, If myself chad , would be charged 3 sms's for that or 6sms for that?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    I believe you are charged for both sent & received sms - so 6 in this case. Your buddy would also be charged 6 sms. Using the threaded sms program is free and is awesome. I love it!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Think of a text message as a short little email sent straight to someone's cell phone. It could be a Treo (hooray) or a Samsung Basic (boo). Either way the recipient will get it. Max. character length is 150 characters.

SMS = text message. SMS stands for Short Message Service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

Threaded SMS = our shorthand way of describing a nice little innovation that Palm, Inc. added to the Treo, first in the Palm-based phones and then in their Windows-based Treos. Palm made it so that your messages to and from a person show up in a thread, just like IM.

These little messages ain't free. Check your service provider for the cost. They'll ding you per message (like 15 cents each) or you can buy in bulk (like 300 messages/month at a given price) or you can buy unlimited service (text until your thumbs drop off for $19.95).

You can send these messages to mobile phones outside the U.S. They'll receive these messages from you just fine. The price per message is higher.

The 700wx doesn't have this threaded SMS stuff natively installed. The 750 does. Through the Glories of Treocentral there is a hack by which you can install this threaded software on your 700wx. Look in the 700w/700wx forum. Codyppc seems to be the most ardent supporter of this fabulosity. He helped me, anyway.

If I missed the mark on my response to your question, sorry.
    Everything Tasty said is correct except that the max characters for SMS is 160. Some phones will automatically break the message up into multiple texts if you go over this max but the Treo won't.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    What do you mean by free? The program is free no purchasing it as it comes with the 755p or free as in I have an internet /email plan on sprint and its included (free).
    Tritan

Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    What do you mean by free? The program is free no purchasing it as it comes with the 755p or free as in I have an internet /email plan on sprint and its included (free).

Free as in you can download the program without having to pay a fee.. free. It counts towards your txt msg plan. If you have unlimited txt, then is free too. It doesn't count towards your internet/data plan. It doesn't require you to access the web when sending a txt.
    so is it a sms or a text message? What about plans for sprint anybody know?
    Tritan

sms is the same as text messaging. the program just changes the way that it is displayed. you will still be charged for your text messages (sms) the same way. it will not effect how you are billed.
    What unlimited text plan cost 19.00? Sprint is much cheaper than that not to mention FREE with SERO.