1.    #1  
    Well, the problem seems more like "getting it to load the URL".

I'm using whatever the last free version of TCPMP is. I want to be able to play Windows Media streaming audio instead of WMP 10 for at least one reason - WMP10 on my 700wx seems to drop out occasionally with streaming audio files over a certain bandwidth.

i.e. if I use it to stream something at 32kbps or over, the dropouts happen, about once every 45 seconds or so. The dropouts do not happen with 16kbps-20kbps streaming audio. It would appear WMP 10 can't "keep up" with the 32kbps-plus streaming links.

So, I know TCPMP supports WM audio, and am pretty sure it would support streaming WM audio - except for the fact it apparently doesn't take "mms://" links directly.

I can't find an easy way to get the WM streaming audio URL into TCPMP. You can put it manually into the Open File bar, but then that's where I ran into the "mms://" problem. I'm pretty sure that if I DO get those URLs to work in TCPMP, I won't have the dropout problem - since it would appear to be less bulky, and keeps up with 32kbps MP3 streaming audio files fine.

Any thoughts? Is the now-commercial Core Player any better with this?
    no streaming WMA for TCPMP or CorePlayer. Pocket Player is the only other one I know that does
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    no streaming WMA for TCPMP or CorePlayer. Pocket Player is the only other one I know that does
    I've been looking at the online documentation, and I can't figure out how to get a URL into there and try it.

I see network (in-network, not online) streaming covered here:

http://www.conduits.com/products/pla...ntation.asp?14

Still, it offers a 30 day trial, so I might just poke at it.
    On the main screen for playing music (not the Browse screen), Menu->Open->Open URL

5.    #5  
    I found it, but just like TCPMP, you can't copy/paste URLs. You have to type it in.

And it worked ( ) - but, like WMP10 on WM5, it has the exact same problem...which is what lead me to this quest in the first place.

Any streaming audio at 32kbps and above pauses frequently, about anywhere from every 30 seconds to a minute, for about 5 seconds, then resumes, then pauses, etc...it's a pain.

I'm trying to listen to various radio stations using 32kbps-or-higher feeds, and I'd like to make the pausing go away. The streaming is fine at 20kbps or 16kbps...it just sounds worse.

Is this just a built-in bug with WMP10 and WM5? Is it the Treo? It appears Pocket Player uses the built-in WMP10 libraries, so that may be why it doesn't solve the problem.

Higher MP3 streaming feeds via TCPMP do not have this problem that I've seen, at least.
    paste it in with the onscreen keyboard...open it up and then Ctrl-V

7.    #7  
    Oh, you mean the onscreen keyboard, no way to do it from the Treo's keyboard.

I'll give it a shot.

But as noted above, it appears the problem may be in the WMP10 codec/etc. libraries, used also by Pocket Player. If that's the case, I may not buy PP, as I only DLed it for this specific problem.
    Correct (re: keyboard), and yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right on the libraries thing too.. Guess I'll have to try out a higher bitrate stream and see if I have issues with WMP too

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Correct (re: keyboard), and yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right on the libraries thing too.. Guess I'll have to try out a higher bitrate stream and see if I have issues with WMP too
    I'd wonder if it was a bandwidth issue with the cell connection, but EVDO seems to handle more than enough speed for a 32kbps feed, and I don't have issues with MP3 streaming with TCPMP.

I say this because I acually had no problems as described above last night, running it through my ActiveSync connection to the laptop and using that instead of the cell connection. But...I disconnected, and had smooth streaming using the cell connection after that.

Maybe - again, just thinking here - I need to A) ensure a strong EVDO connection and B) not run other programs in the background?

Anyway...just throwing stuff out there. If anyone else wants to join us on this and give me ideas, I'm game.