Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last night was my night out and I stopped by the Shingular store in La Canada before heading to a movie. I was ogling the 750 when Curtis told me that next week the price willl drop by $100.

It is all hear-say. If you are thinking about a 750, perhaps it would be worth it to wait.
    If true, two thoughts on what might be driving this:

1) They are going to stop the $100 Mail in Rebate and just deduct that amount from the price, or
    2) There lowering it so that they can issue WM6 750's at a higher price

I think I'll call my local Cingular rep and see if I can find out more......
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    If true, two thoughts on what might be driving this:

1) They are going to stop the $100 Mail in Rebate and just deduct that amount from the price, or
    2) There lowering it so that they can issue WM6 750's at a higher price

I think I'll call my local Cingular rep and see if I can find out more......
    makes sense except why would they charge more for a WM6 treo 750 when u could just buy the cheaper one and upgrade for free?

just a thought........
    Who said it would be a "free" upgrade. Most device that were upgraded from WM2003SE to WM5 were charged, unless it was purchased just before it was released. It cost around $40 for that upgrade. I upgraded a couple of iPaqs and that is what HP was charging.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Who said it would be a "free" upgrade.

If you're seriously retreading this question, search.
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Since there has been no official announcement at to when this product will even be available, to say that it would be free is very misleading. Microsoft has a history of NOT giving away upgrades for free, unless they are purchased within a specific time frame of a product release. Now whether Cingular decides to absorb that cost, or pass it on to the consumer remains undecided. Why not wait for an official announcement before jumping to conclusions?

BTW, I did do a search of the forum, and the only mention of a free upgrade was in an atricle on another site, Mobility Site (of which I am one of their editors, FWIW). While it mentions free in the leader of the article (added by the writer, not Palm), it is not mentioned anywhere in the announcement. It only states that it will be available. So I stand by my statement , who says it will be free?

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Since there has been no official announcement at to when this product will even be available, to say that it would be free is very misleading. Microsoft has a history of NOT giving away upgrades for free, unless they are purchased within a specific time frame of a product release. Now whether Cingular decides to absorb that cost, or pass it on to the consumer remains undecided. Why not wait for an official announcement before jumping to conclusions?

An AT&T spokesperson's confirmation statement doesn't constitute an 'official announcement'? Keep waiting then, by all means!
    I suspect that if this is in fact true the reasoning behind it is to get rid of Treo 750 units asap, while still offering a free WM6 upgrade.

A little birdie told me that there will be a new GSM Treo running WM6 with a 320 x 320 screen, and possibly more memory. We all know what GSM carrier gets the GSM Treos, it only makes sense for Cingular to lower the price to sell as many 750's as they can.

When the 755p debuts on Sprint, there will be a 755w running WM6 with the 320x320 screen not too far after. Palm now has an even playing field when it comes to their Treos. WM Treos always took a knock because of the 240x240 screen while their Palm OS devices had 320x320. Palm also said in their conference call that they are working on making one device hardware platform and then adding the OS. They did this with the 700p and 700wx, but not in terms of screens.They can now do it all around, and save a ot of $$ in doing so.
    Jimmie Geddes
  10. REC
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Is this a drop from the $399 that it was here inn Pittsburgh a week ago or the $299 price that I paid this past Sunday? Just curious..

Thanks
    Hey, it's on Palm's HOME page...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

BTW, I did do a search of the forum, and the only mention of a free upgrade was in an atricle on another site, Mobility Site (of which I am one of their editors, FWIW). While it mentions free in the leader of the article (added by the writer, not Palm), it is not mentioned anywhere in the announcement. It only states that it will be available. So I stand by my statement , who says it will be free?

How about Larry Larsen at MS?

http://on10.net/Blogs/larry/free-win...eo-750-owners/

If you have a Treo 750, life's about to get good - Palm is announcing free upgrades to Windows Mobile 6. For AT&T and Vodaphone customers, life's about to get really good - the upgrade will also add High-Speed Download Packet Access (HSDPA), enabling faster download speeds on 3G/UMTS/HSDPA networks.

Of course I would like to see Palm come out and officially say that it's free.

One thing is for certain and that is both Palm & Cingular said that the patch for HSDPA would be free for all Treo 750 owners. At this point no other mention of this patch has come out except for the inclusion with it in WM6
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    For whatever odd reason, it seems to be a reality that ivhs72 just can't bear to face.
    Listen, do you have a web browser??? Wait, you got here, so you must, so point your browser to a very complicated address: palm.com LOL...this is so stupid when it's there in black and white. Oh, this will come the same time that the Treo 750 will be upgraded to HSDPA, officially.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

An AT&T spokesperson's confirmation statement doesn't constitute an 'official announcement'? Keep waiting then, by all means!
    I've seen no AT&T spokesperson's confirmation statement. Where is the URL? What was his name? The only place I have seen free upgrade mentioned was in relation to the HSDPA upgrade that was promised Cingular providers.

Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper View Post
    How about Larry Larsen at MS?

http://on10.net/Blogs/larry/free-win...eo-750-owners/

If you have a Treo 750, life's about to get good - Palm is announcing free upgrades to Windows Mobile 6. For AT&T and Vodaphone customers, life's about to get really good - the upgrade will also add High-Speed Download Packet Access (HSDPA), enabling faster download speeds on 3G/UMTS/HSDPA networks.

Of course I would like to see Palm come out and officially say that it's free.

One thing is for certain and that is both Palm & Cingular said that the patch for HSDPA would be free for all Treo 750 owners. At this point no other mention of this patch has come out except for the inclusion with it in WM6
    That is a blog that is an one person's opinion. You notice there is no link in there to an announcement that the WM6 upgrade is free. That is because there is no link. It has not been announced by ANYONE ANYWHERE that WM6 will be a free upgrade. It has been announced by Palm that there will be a free HSDPA for it here:

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=224545

"The Palm Treo 750 initially will be enabled for UMTS with a free upgrade, scheduled to be available later in 2007, to Cingular's supercharged HSDPA technology."

No mention of WM6, free or otherwise, anywhere in that announcement, which was made January 7, 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Yes, I'm part of that thread as well. You made a comment in one of your posts that you couldn't put a URL saying that WM6 would be free, but you have concluded that it would be. I have a lot of respect for you opinions and information that you share on this site. I am just curious how you arrived at that conclusion. Was it based on back door conversations, press releases, general statements from your industry contacts? I'm not trying to belittle you or anything, just trying to understand.

Thanks

Rich
    Why wait for Cingular to offer the HSDPA update? You can install it yourself, I installed the hack on my Treo 750 review unit and saw amazing speed increases.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2007/01/ci...very-fast.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I got my new Treo 750 from a Corporate Cingular store for $199, plus sales tax.

Story:
    I walked into the store and asked the sales rep what the cost difference would be between buying a 750 today (aka Thursday 4/5) or waiting until June 2nd (when I was elgible for an upgrade). His answer was $549 vs $299 after rebate. I messed with the phone for about 30 minutes and then told him I would wait, because it was almost half off and it was only 2 months. He went into the back and came out and said I could get an early upgrade exception and while working up the deal he checked to see if my employer company made me eligible for a discount. He did not find anything, so he gave me an additional $100. So, I paid $317.99 for the new 750 and he gave me all the paperwork to send in the mail-in rebate. So, if my math is correct and I get the rebate, that is $217.99 for a new Treo 750 directly from Cingular.

This may be a likely sign of a price reduction
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast