Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    BTW, I did do a search of the forum, and the only mention of a free upgrade was in an atricle on another site, Mobility Site (of which I am one of their editors, FWIW). So I stand by my statement , who says it will be free?
    At CTIA, MS, Palm, and AT&T have all confirmed WM6 being a free upgrade to the consumer for the Treo 750, HTC 8525, and Samsung Blackjack.

Try Nate Mook @ BetaNews or Ed Hardy @ Brighthand and confirm for yourself since obviously Mobility Site wasn't in attendance.
    Wow this thread is getting off-topic
    This thread is getting out of control. I contacted my contact at Palm, and he told me it wil be FREE. Free, don't have to pay a dime.
    Jimmie Geddes
    All right so cheap chick that I am, I feel the need to ask a question. If I purchased my Treo two weeks ago and the price drops next week, can I take my receipt in for the difference? I seem to remember being able to do this in California before 30 days, so it could vary by state.
    Why is this still being discussed. taylorh has SPOKEN. That should be good enough. Me, I get a little crazy sometimes...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    This thread is getting out of control. I contacted my contact at Palm, and he told me it wil be FREE. Free, don't have to pay a dime.
    Would the upgrade becoming through Cingular or Palm, and will Cingular have any restrictions or limitations on the OS? Any information on what the free upgrade will do to phones that have been unlocked? Will having the HSDPA upgrade cause problems with other non-Cingular networks?

Thanks

Would the upgrade becoming through Cingular or Palm, and will Cingular have any restrictions or limitations on the OS? Any information on what the free upgrade will do to phones that have been unlocked? Will having the HSDPA upgrade cause problems with other non-Cingular networks?

Thanks

It will come from Palm, along with the HSDPA firmware upgrade. You select the device once it's out, so it will be Cingular-branded. Why would HSDPA cause problems with non-Cingular networks?
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

What about us with unbranded European 750's? How do we get out WM6 goodness w/o the Cingular stuff larded on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    What about us with unbranded European 750's? How do we get out WM6 goodness w/o the Cingular stuff larded on?
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Cingular-branding? You can just get rid of it with a custom ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    It will come from Palm, along with the HSDPA firmware upgrade. You select the device once it's out, so it will be Cingular-branded. Why would HSDPA cause problems with non-Cingular networks?

I was concerned that if Cingular would place some retrictions on the features that their branded phones would work with, and that seems to be the hot one. Since their branded phones have the Cingular ExpressMail on it, would an OS upgrade feature the Cingular only features like that? Since Tmobile does not have HSDPA or even 3G, I didn't think it would cause any problems, but since I didn't know, I thought I would ask.

What about the upgrade relocking previously unlocked phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post

Most likely there will be regional upgrades for Europe to take into account different languages, and other country specific features that Vodaphone wants. I can't imagine the WM6 upgrade being just for Cingular (except in the US where they are the only ones that sell it).

Quote Originally Posted by GabGold View Post
    All right so cheap chick that I am, I feel the need to ask a question. If I purchased my Treo two weeks ago and the price drops next week, can I take my receipt in for the difference? I seem to remember being able to do this in California before 30 days, so it could vary by state.
    If the discount comes within your 30 day trial period, Cingular will usually honor it and refund your money. Worst case, have the Treo boxed up and ready to return, return it and repurchase it at the discounted price...

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Cingular-branding? You can just get rid of it with a custom ROM.
    But, how long until a custom ROM for the 750 is available?
    It's listed on the Cingular site, as of today, for $549.99 retail, $399.99 for a 2-year contract, and then there's a $100.00 rebate bringing the price down to $299.99 on contract. I remember when the 750 was first out on Cingular, the price was $649 retail so that is a $100 drop it seems.

Looks like the Treo is now retailing for cheaper than the Hermes/8525. That was the opposite case when the Treo was initially launched.

Thanks

Usually Palm releases the updates for Cingular phones. As an example here is where all of the ROMs for the Treo 650 are:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo650.html
    The Treo 750 could be different, but I would assume they would release things the same way.
    Even the Cingular 8125 update came directly from HTC. So this doesn't seem inconsistent with other manufacturers.

If a phone has been unlocked, a ROM / Firmware update will have no affect on the locking/unlocking. That part is done somewhere down in a deeper level of the handset specifically for security, not up in the updatable part of the firmware. Once a handset is unlocked, it is unlocked permanently and will not be re-locked by any updates.

HSDPA shouldn't affect use with other carriers. A phone just uses what wireless technology is available to it. IF HSDPA is available it'll use it, otherwise simply fall back to the next best thing. You can even lock the handset to use only GSM if you had to, but shouldn't need to.
    Does that address the question or did you mean something else in regards to problems?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Went into Cingular today here in NYC and the woem told me that she didn't even know they lowered the treo price. When I asked her to ask she told me that I was correct.

She told me that I would have to return my treo and buy another one to get the lower price. What a pain that will be, but will I do it!?!
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Usually Palm releases the updates for Cingular phones. As an example here is where all of the ROMs for the Treo 650 are:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo650.html
    The Treo 750 could be different, but I would assume they would release things the same way.
    Does that address the question or did you mean something else in regards to problems?
    Yup, that pretty much covers it. I know the 650's had various upgrades but then Palm did release unbranded, unlocked phones as well as different carriers having them as opposed to the 750 which is only sold by one carrier.

Since Cingular pretty much has a lock on the US market, I will be curious to see if they dictate what is included in the upgrade.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yup, that pretty much covers it. I know the 650's had various upgrades but then Palm did release unbranded, unlocked phones as well as different carriers having them as opposed to the 750 which is only sold by one carrier.

Since Cingular pretty much has a lock on the US market, I will be curious to see if they dictate what is included in the upgrade.

Usually a custom ROM is made fairly quickly. I don't know exactly because I have never used one as I don't want one. I want a Cingular-branded phone. Except for hacks like the current HSDPA hack and the hack for manual network selection for the 650, both of which are HIGHLY useful NOW. I don't really need the manual network selection hack anymore as I have no problems with Cingular's native network any longer, so it doesn't bother me not to have it on my 750.

By the way, I'm glad you two made up.

To answer my own question--Cingular had no problem giving me the difference because I bought my phone two weeks ago :-D. The assistant manager of the store in downtown Portland Oregon was incredibly cordial. She looked me up and issued the credit in less than five minutes. Thanks to the original poster. I doubt I would have known about the price drop without this thread.

Just read the post up above. At no time was I asked to return my treo. I'd try another store and maybe hint that you were thinking about waiting for the Iphone ...
    Last edited by GabGold; 04/12/2007 at 01:11 PM.
    I was concerned that if Cingular would place some retrictions on the features that their branded phones would work with, and that seems to be the hot one. Since their branded phones have the Cingular ExpressMail on it, would an OS upgrade feature the Cingular only features like that? Since Tmobile does not have HSDPA or even 3G, I didn't think it would cause any problems, but since I didn't know, I thought I would ask.

What about the upgrade relocking previously unlocked phones?

Once a phone is unlocked (SIM restriction removed), it is unlocked permanently. I've had the situation before with a 650. I upgraded the firmware from 1.04 to 1.17 and it was still unlocked. One simply has nothing to do with the other.

To answer my own question--Cingular had no problem giving me the difference because I bought my phone two weeks ago :-D. The assistant manager of the store in downtown Portland Oregon was incredibly cordial. She looked me up and issued the credit in less than five minutes. Thanks to the original poster. I doubt I would have known about the price drop without this thread.

Just read the post up above. At no time was I asked to return my treo. I'd try another store and maybe hint that you were thinking about waiting for the Iphone ...
    A fellow Oregonian, and in Portland as well. The Cingular store at the Clackamas Promanade has helpful staff as well.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast