Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    i've tried the DNS hack and I think it's remarkable how faster it is now. but the problem is when I reset the phone, the Dns setting reverts to default settings and I have to set it again every time I perform soft reset. any solution?
    how long are u waiting before the reset. try doing a back up with the settings the way u want it then do a soft reset usually on my treo if I reset it without waiting ten or 15 minutes the changes don't stick
    you have to convert you registry fro ma hive to a file, WM5 Hives it like windows xp and it wont take changes unless you convert it. If you dont i found u have to Waite about 30 minutes before the change leaves ram and is actually applied to the registry hive.
    could u go into detail on that a little. never heard ahything about that before and I don't lcnow how to do that. thanks.
    I'd love to know more too.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
    you have to convert you registry fro ma hive to a file, WM5 Hives it like windows xp and it wont take changes unless you convert it. If you dont i found u have to Waite about 30 minutes before the change leaves ram and is actually applied to the registry hive.
    This is not true. You don't have to convert it. I have made many changes to my registry and they all have stayed. Just wait a bit before you reset your phone.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    I would always put it to sleep (red button) and then wake it back up before resetting. That seemed to force the changes to stay.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    None of the above methods work for my 700wx. I've tried two different soft reset utilities too. I've tried putting the phone to sleep and waiting 10 minutes with no success.
    Another alternative is to create a new connection and put the DNS settings there. Then set your phone to use that connection instead of the default one.
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 565Customz View Post
    could u go into detail on that a little. never heard ahything about that before and I don't lcnow how to do that. thanks.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=dns+hack

I'm assuming it speeds up your broadband.
    It doesn't speed up your connection, but it speeds up domain name lookups due to the faster, more responsive DNS servers. When you type in Yahoo.com, it goes to your DNS servers and asks what IP address yahoo.com resolves to. The DNS server tells you and your browser routes to that address. The openDNS as well as the Verizon (4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2) are much faster at giving your browser an answer. Therefore, you can access the website sooner.
    stroths, how do you choose which connection to use by default. I created a new connection but in doing so my phone added a connection called Auto Choose. So it picks whichever connection it wants I guess.
    Scubaduba,

Under the connection settings control panel applet, click the Advanced tab. Then choose the Select Network button and choose the connection you setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I would always put it to sleep (red button) and then wake it back up before resetting. That seemed to force the changes to stay.
    Stroths is correct on this.

The technical answer works this way: when changing the registry, the information is stored in RAM (temporary memory) and then it gets "flushed" to ROM (your storage memory).

This usually happens anywhere from 30s to 1minute.

So you can just wait awhile before a soft-rest or...

Use some 3rd party app that does a software soft-reset. In other words, do not use the stylus method to soft-reset the device. If you do the software version, it usually flushes the RAM before the reset, thereby saving your information.

This info applies for ALL registry changes on all WM devices. The "hive" thing is not necessary.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Sorry the soft reset doesn't work for me.