Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't think this has been discussed, but I had a thought.

The way we use xcast to hijack the carrier name field is really cool, in that we rewrite the carrier name reg entry to display what we want.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be cool to display other stuff there, like hmmmm, I can't think of it right now.

BUT, I'd still want my xcast display. I just don't need to see it there 100% of the time. I did some testing and found text written to the reg key shows up on the screen quickly. Quick enough to scroll text!

So, I thought, "Why not create a simple script to display multiple text fields, in succession, with a 1 or 2 second (or user defined) delay between each one?"

This script could pull the text from a series of ini defined registry locations or other sources. That's all it does. It would be up to xcast and other scripts to dump what they want displayed in the correct location(s).

If no one wants to write it, I'll start it in my infinite spare time......I'm thinking it is really simple to do.

I'm gonna go duck and cover now.......
    believe it or not, it has been discussed:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...4&postcount=15

But not begun, definitely think about it and begin!
    Quote Originally Posted by reverged View Post
    I don't think this has been discussed, but I had a thought.

The way we use xcast to hijack the carrier name field is really cool, in that we rewrite the carrier name reg entry to display what we want.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be cool to display other stuff there, like hmmmm, I can't think of it right now.

BUT, I'd still want my xcast display. I just don't need to see it there 100% of the time. I did some testing and found text written to the reg key shows up on the screen quickly. Quick enough to scroll text!

So, I thought, "Why not create a simple script to display multiple text fields, in succession, with a 1 or 2 second (or user defined) delay between each one?"

This script could pull the text from a series of ini defined registry locations or other sources. That's all it does. It would be up to xcast and other scripts to dump what they want displayed in the correct location(s).

If no one wants to write it, I'll start it in my infinite spare time......I'm thinking it is really simple to do.

I'm gonna go duck and cover now.......
    certainly doable... suggest a data file that contains:

weather data
    stock data
    sports data
    flight status
    traffic status
    american idol results
    etc.

I wonder if a contantly running script or one every 5 min will cause resource problems.

- jdc
    what phone do you have and i will write you something this weekend? tell me what you want it to say. keep it simple i am a nOOb script writer, but this one i think i can handle. lol
    ok, this is only my second script, so..... be easy on me. lol

here is what it looks like.

#title.MSCR - remember treo alert settings afert reset

While(1)
    Sleep 2000
    # write the carrier first word
    RegWriteString "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Current Operator Name", TreoCentral.com
    sleep 5000
    RegWriteString "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Current Operator Name", is..........
    sleep 2000
    RegWriteString "HKLM", "System\State\Phone", "Current Operator Name", rocking baby
    Sleep 3000
    EndWhile

you can edit the 3 lines of text to what ever you want.

enjoy, cody
    Attached Files Attached Files
    #Banner.mscr
    WMPlatformModel = "700w"
    BannerMsg = " This is a Scrolling Message That Can Have as Many Characters as You Wish. You Can Even Start Another Sentence."
    ThisScriptPath = SystemPath("ScriptPath")
    ThisScriptName = SystemPath("ScriptName") & SystemPath("ScriptExt")

If (WMPlatformModel eq "700w")
    RegKey = "Software\Microsoft\RIL"
    RegKeyValName = "CarrierName"
    EndIf

If (WMPlatformModel eq "700wx")
    RegKey = "System\State\Phone"
    RegKeyValName = "Current Operator Name"
    EndIf

i = 0
    Repeat (300)
    i = i + 1
    if (i = 150)
    i = 1
    sleep (1000)
    endif
    BannerString = SubStr(BannerMsg, i, i + 1)
    RegWriteString ("HKLM",RegKey, RegKeyValName, BannerString)
    Sleep (75)
    EndRepeat

x[1] = "Your Ad Here"
    x[2] = " Your Ad Here"
    x[3] = " Your Ad Here"
    i = 0
    Repeat (18)
    Sleep (500)
    i = i + 1
    RegWriteString ("HKLM",RegKey, RegKeyValName, x[i])
    if (i = 3)
    i = 0
    endif
    EndRepeat
    Sleep (2000)
    RegWriteString ("HKLM",RegKey, RegKeyValName, "Your Carrier Loves You")
    Sleep (2000)
    RegWriteString ("HKLM",RegKey, RegKeyValName, "Your Carrier Loves Your Money")
    nice. can i use this for something else?

question. what is this part doing?

i = 0
    Repeat (300)
    i = i + 1
    if (i = 150)
    i = 1

it looks like it is just changing the value of "i", but where does the 300 and i=150 come in to play?

thanks, cody

sorry for the nOOb questions.
    Last edited by codyppc; 03/30/2007 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    nice. can i use this for something else?

question. what is this part doing?

i = 0
    Repeat (300)
    i = i + 1
    if (i = 150)
    i = 1

it looks like it is just changing the value of "i", but where does the 300 and i=150 come in to play?

thanks, cody

sorry for the nOOb questions.
    it's shifting the text a charter with each iteration of "i". the 300 limits the number of times the banner scrolls. the 150 & 300 are tuned to the no of characters in the banner strinng. yes, you may use the code for non-commercial use.
    is there a way to take the script like in post 6 and have it check the registry to see what version ( WMPlatformModel ) is running and have it set the "WMPlatformModel =" in the script to run right?

kind of like one script for different models of treos that would auto detect which version and run it for that device. in this case the registrys are different.
    is there a way to take the script like in post 6 and have it check the registry to see what version ( WMPlatformModel ) is running and have it set the "WMPlatformModel =" in the script to run right?

kind of like one script for different models of treos that would auto detect which version and run it for that device. in this case the registrys are different.
    I've researched this many times and came up empty. sure would be nice.

jdc
    what about this... it simply looks for the reg value. if it's there is nows it a sprint, other wise it's a verizon.

#Banner.mscr
    #check for sprint version
    A = RegValueExists ("HKLM","System\State\Phone","Current Operator Name")
    If (A = 1)
    WMPlatformModel = "700wx"
    else
    WMPlatformModel = "700w"
    Endif

BannerMsg = " This is a Scrolling Message That Can Have as Many Characters as You Wish. You Can Even Start Another Sentence."

EndIf

EndIf

i = 0
    Repeat (300)
    i = i + 1
    if (i = 150)
    i = 1
    sleep (1000)
    endif
    Sleep (75)
    EndRepeat
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by codyppc; 03/31/2007 at 07:07 AM.
    what about this... it simply looks for the reg value. if it's there is nows it a sprint, other wise it's a verizon.

#Banner.mscr
    If (A = 1)
    else
    WMPlatformModel = "700w"
    Endif

EndIf

EndIf

i = 0
    Repeat (300)
    i = i + 1
    if (i = 150)
    i = 1
    sleep (1000)
    endif
    Sleep (75)
    EndRepeat
    nice try.... but nope.

doesn't help with model and could contain the weather.
    i dont understand. your original "banner" example is set to run on the 700w. or for that matter, the verizon wx as well since it has the same place for the carrier plugin in the registery. if you were going to use this on the sprint version, you told us in the xcast thread to change the "WMPlatformModel = "700w" to 700wx. or something like this. when i put the script (banner from post 11" on my sprint version it runs just fine. i am trying to get a verizon friend of mine to test it as well.

i'm not arguing with you jd. you know WAY more about this stuff than i ever will. i just understand why it wouldn't work. can you please just run the script in post 11 for me and see. dont change anything just run it.

thanks, cody

ps: thanks for the free lessons. or as i call it... "schooling"
    Im just going to push 2 RegWriteString in Treoset.mscr. combining.no harm is done so you cant go wrong.
  15.    #15  

#Banner.mscr
    If (A = 1)
    else
    WMPlatformModel = "700w"
    Endif
    Cody, I have the 700w and it has BOTH reg keys. It seems only one of them is used to update the carrier banner, depending on which phone you have.

I agree with you that it should be easy to find some reg setting that tells us which phone it is....still looking..
    reverged, can to take the script in post 11 and run it to see if it works? you shouldn't have to do anything to it but a screen tap with your stylus to get it to run.

thanks, cody
    oh man, i see. i have both too. even though the other one is not used in the carrier plugin. damn it. there has to be something in the reg that verison and sprint doesn't have the same.
    It doesnt matter.fill both carrier name plug in voids.The more reg reads you add the longer it takes to get results.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Im just going to push 2 RegWriteString in Treoset.mscr. combining.no harm is done so you cant go wrong.
    will someone pls translate this to Engrish?
  20.    #20  
    reverged, can to take the script in post 11 and run it to see if it works? you shouldn't have to do anything to it but a screen tap with your stylus to get it to run.

thanks, cody
    With this mod, it works, sort of...
    #Banner.mscr
    #A = RegValueExists ("HKLM","System\State\Phone","Current Operator Name")
    #If (A = 1)
    WMPlatformModel = "700w"
    #else
    #WMPlatformModel = "700wx"
    #Endif
    I just forced 700w.

I think the scrolling is programmed wrong and I'm working to fix it. Ideally, we'd want the scrolled text to start at the far right of the banner and scroll to the left. That will require padding " "'s (space char's) to the string before writing the reg.

Also, my goal wasn't necessarily horizontal scrolling, although that would be great for long text.

Lastly, my thought for this script were that it would pull text from fields that are well known or at least easy to configure.

For example, if xcast dumped it's text to a reg key called HKCU, Software,Multitext,Fields,Field1..or..Field2..or..Field3, this script can access that text easily.

That way other scripts simply write to one of those fields and all is well.

Each Field could have the Text key as well as a ScrollH field and a Sleep Field. ScrollH would define how to scroll horizontally, if at all.

I'm thinking out loud and haven't had much coffee yet.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast