1.    #1  
    My days old 700wx has a very scratchy sound in Speaker-Mode, like the speaker is blown.

It's even noticable at level 3 of 6 and very much so at level 4, forget level 5 unless the sound is a wisper.

Is this normal?

When I'm driving and I put enable Speaker-Mode and I get the vol where I can actually hear, windows rolled up.... the sound is so scratchy....

Anyway, what I really want to know is, if this is expected, obviously I expected more.....

TIA
    The speaker has never sounded altogether terrific, but it sounds like you may have a busted one.
    END OF LINE
    Depends what you are listening to. If you were listening to music, then the speaker could be broke. If you were listening to VM or talking on the speaker phone with someone, then it's probably the signal, since you were on the move.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, I realized that I didn't have a good baseline test, so....

I dialed up www.radioparadise.com and selected the Windows Media link, which does NOT require a 3rd party download... and the sound was much better, still just as bad as an AM radio.

I'm supposing that most of my poor sound during a voice call in speaker-mode is a combo of small low quality speaker and signal.

Thanks for the prompt response.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPGMT View Post
    My days old 700wx has a very scratchy sound in Speaker-Mode, like the speaker is blown.

It's even noticable at level 3 of 6 and very much so at level 4, forget level 5 unless the sound is a wisper.

Is this normal?

When I'm driving and I put enable Speaker-Mode and I get the vol where I can actually hear, windows rolled up.... the sound is so scratchy....

Anyway, what I really want to know is, if this is expected, obviously I expected more.....

TIA
    what phone/service do you have? the speakerphone on my Verizon 700w was clean and near perfect. the speakerphone on my Sprint 700wx is scratchy and has a lot of hissing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPGMT View Post

Is this normal?

TIA

I say if its days old take it back and get a replacement one. If need be demo the problem to where ever you purchased it from.
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
  7.    #7  
    Well now that I see the post comparing the 700w with the 700wx it may be true that I should take it back.

I have to say that it's annoying to struggle to hear a caller, then turn up the volume only to have a louder more distorted sound that helps little. I'm tired of saying pardon me?

What I do is use speakerphone but hold it to my ear, not safe while driving.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, I went into the store, I got the attitude that they might do me a favor and then they listened to the phone, their sound system was blasting like it was a party in the store and it was difficult to hear the phone let alone the poor quality, I went home with my phone.

Now after listening to a few other phones, I can say, THAT THE SOUND ON MY 700wx is ****.

I'll call Palm perhaps they've recieved calls from others...

My worst fear is that it'll end up like a friend with a 650, he hates the speaker phone, but never called to do anything and now 1 1/2 years later there's nothing that can be done.

My assumption is that Palm can't fix it if they don't know what the issue is...

TIA
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    sorry to say, but this is too minor of an issue for them to worry about. new out of the box, i noticed that the sound quality on this 700wx wasn't as "perfect" as my 700w, but the wx is a much better overall. the wx's volume was kind of low, too. then i found that apachehax on PPCGeeks and it made a whole world of difference in snappyness, volume, etc. now the scratchiness of the speakerphone is still there and just as bad, but the increased volume really helps!