Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that we have had bad experiences with two email exchange providers this week (4smartphone and mail2web), what are the alternatives?

What do all of you use and how much do you pay for it? Has it been reliable for you?
    I use 1and1.com. It's only $7.00 a month and they offer pretty much every Exchange feature that's available, including OMA and push email. Plus you can register and use your own domain with the exchange service for $5.00 a year.

Granted, I've heard their tech support is kinda crappy, but I haven't had any problems with the service as it's been very reliable, so I haven't had the need to call them.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Or you can buy your own Exchange server. My business might be a small one, but I've never regretted having my own servers. They're not that hard to set up or maintain. You're probably already paying for the bandwidth...
    I agree with the 1and1.com provider. They are wonderful and extremely reliable. I have signed up at least ten of my clients with them and not a lick of problems. $7.00 a month gives you 1gb of space with all the activesync features available.
    1and1 here too, no problems, very satisfied
    I used sherweb.com for a while and really liked them. Never had any troubles, but they're about $9/mo for 1.25gb of space.

As for 1and1, do they have an smtp/address proxy like mail2web.com? So I don't have to point my mx records to their server...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I use theMessageCenter and have been very happy with them. I was originally on MailStreet, but had some email issues they could not seem to resolve. I also use GoodLink and TMC is the least expensive monthly fee I have seen and doesnt charge the $50 setup fee..

its 9.95 per month for a 500MB mailbox.

There support has been very good the couple times I needed it.
    After a fair amount of research (and some unpleasant experiences) I found Sherweb. The charge is $9 for 1.25 Gig, which is unbeatable. This includes excellent server-side spam filtering, and no outages in 6+ months.

I'd looked into 4smartphone, and they refused to configure my domain without MX records, which are inaccessible through my domain registrar.
    I am using lanlogic.net Its not the cheapest but its been consistently good. Support is great and postini virus and spam filtering is included. I once had an issue setting up Outlook on a new machine, I opened a ticket via mail, within minutes a support person had called me and used webex or some such tool to connect to my machine and fix the problem.
    I had no problem forwarding my email to 4smartphone instead of changing my mx over to them.

Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post

I'd looked into 4smartphone, and they refused to configure my domain without MX records, which are inaccessible through my domain registrar.
    I signed up with Lanlogic a few days ago. I had trouble setting my account so that I forward my emails over as opposed to changing my MX to their server. They talked me through the entire way.

My only "complaints" about Lanlogic are: 1) Their support (at least telephone, I'm not sure about email) seem to be M-F 7am-5pm. I'm not on the computer at home until 10pm or midnight, at which time I can't talk to anybody. 2) The $10 per month price is for only 200 megs. I have a feeling I'll max out on that real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
    I am using lanlogic.net Its not the cheapest but its been consistently good. Support is great and postini virus and spam filtering is included. I once had an issue setting up Outlook on a new machine, I opened a ticket via mail, within minutes a support person had called me and used webex or some such tool to connect to my machine and fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    And this answers the original poster's question about Exchange servers how?
    By providing a service similar to an exchange server.
    But it's not similar to an exchange server. Most of us who use exchange uses not just to push our emails, but our contacts and calendar as well. Also, exchange uses data and your "push mail" software uses text. I do not have text.
    Gotcha, I was assuming (my mistake) that the OP was using it for email, since they were referring to companies such as mail2web.
    Does anyone know if you can use 1and1.com with a forwarding address? Say all my mail from my ISP stays on the pop3 server but sends a copy of every email to richtj99@1and1.com (or whatever the account address is)?

I am using 4smartphone.net in this manner & it has worked out well for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can use 1and1.com with a forwarding address? Say all my mail from my ISP stays on the pop3 server but sends a copy of every email to richtj99@1and1.com (or whatever the account address is)?

I am using 4smartphone.net in this manner & it has worked out well for my needs.
    I tried 1and1.... it was a disaster... worked with only one of my computers... the instructions were crazy... no manual instructions, just some downloads which slowed my computers to a crawl.

The only computer that it worked on was the one with no imap folders in outlook. Funny thing is that I've heard great things about 1and1 and help my partner set it up and it worked great for him. Of course, he also does not have seven IMAP accounts and over 500 mb of emails going back to '99 either.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've been a 1and1 customer for around 4 years now. For the most part I am satisfied, but I've definitely had headaches. The server has gone down occasionally, and apparently on my server for the past month they've been having problems and it finally crashed hard a few days ago and I had no access to my mail for almost 24 hours. They finally got something back up and running, but it is just a temporary fix so that I can retrieve my email and it only has the email since the server went down, none of my old folders or archived emails, no contacts, calendars, etc. This is the case now for almost 48 hours. It's horrible, but fortunately this is the only time this sort of thing has happened in 4 years.

Their support is so so. Most of the time, they just say if I'm having a problem that either nothing has been reported, or they say that a problem has been reported and they are working on it. But half the time that doesn't seem to resolve itself. Most of my problems have actually revolved around Outlook Web Access. It seems like a security or certificate issue, but one that I haven't figured out yet. Maybe it's Vista, but I did find a workaround that's easy. But of course, I had to figure this out on my own. The support was generally useless - they didn't even try to troubleshoot.

Also, their billing procedures are not very friendly. I've had the credit card that my account gets deducted from lost or changed a couple of times and instead of alerting me that there was a billing issue, they just cut service off as soon as the transaction is rejected, and then I've lost however many hours of email trying to get it streighted out again. Very annoying!

Other than these issues, my only other complaint is that in order to use your own domain with them, you need to register it WITH them. I find this pretty monopolistic.

Unfortunately at the time I signed up, there was no one even close to them in price. It appears this has changed a little, but I'm surprised that they are still the cheapest and that the cheapest competition seems to still be $2 more - or around 30% higher - per month.

Theog,

I have many folders and at least used to have subfolders within some of them, and never had any issues with this. And I probably have 1GB or more of messages. I've never been notified of going over some limit but then again 1and1 has no way that I'm aware of that I can check to see how much storage I'm using. I don't want to ask for fear that they will see I'm using way over what I should! I'm not sure what you mean about no manuals, just some downloads that slowed your computers to a crawl. 1and1 does have some pdf manuals for hosted exchange. They aren't particularly good, but they do go over the basics and give you most of the info you need, albeit not always in the clearest way.

Since seeing some of these postings here about exchange accounts, I've been reconsidering if I want to stay with 1and1 - especially given the issues I've had recently! I've noted down a few of the services listed above, but one that no one's mentioned in this thread yet is webville, so I thought I'd mention it here: http://www.webville.net/
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Other than these issues, my only other complaint is that in order to use your own domain with them, you need to register it WITH them. I find this pretty monopolistic.
    Actually this is not the case. You can setup external DNS and point your MX record to them. Prior to moving my mail to sherweb.com, I had an IMAP account setup with my domain, but it was registered elsewhere. My wife is still with them using her domain and Exchange 2003 hosting, but her domain is not registered with them either.

As far as Exchange providers, sherweb.com is pretty good. I was running my own Exchange server, but had some hardware failures and decided to let someone else deal with the hosting. Sherweb gives you Exchange 2007 w/3gb space for $8.95/month.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast