Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Actually this is not the case. You can setup external DNS and point your MX record to them. Prior to moving my mail to sherweb.com, I had an IMAP account setup with my domain, but it was registered elsewhere. My wife is still with them using her domain and Exchange 2003 hosting, but her domain is not registered with them either.
    That's odd, when did you guys become members? I wonder if it is a policy they changed after I joined?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Sherweb.com looks good.... 3gb of storage too. I am trying to find a web host that will also allow for an exchange server to be used.
    I have been with 4smartphone for nearly 1.5 years now, the only issue was some 6 months ago the server I was on went down and it took some time to get back up. The migration to exchange2007 went smoothly with the directions they provided, so no real complaints for me.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    hmmmm about 5 months in and everything has been smooth @ port88.org. I just with windows mobile can have 2 activesync accounts or imap idle built in outlook.

coming from a world of blackberry it spoils you rotten with push email in how many ever email account one has.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, well, 1and1 still doesn't have my old data up and it's been 72 hours since they came back with the temporary mail folder. This is getting really annoying since I just got a wx last week and haven't had a successful activesync yet, which I want to do before I hook it to my computer. Actually, that's not entirely true, since I was able to retrieve email ONCE last night, but after that one time it again just fails the sync and puts me back at the login screen where I have to type my password in again.

So I wanted to confirm this with any others who use 1and1. I'm using EXCHANGE as the domain exchange.1and1.com as the server, e####### as the username, and the password I normally use for OWA/Outlook. Is this right? The documentation is not very clear - they don't actually give you you the server name, but it seems this should be it, right?

I think at this point I'm really tired of dealing with them and might just jump to Sherweb, but I feel like I need to wait for my old email contacts, etc., to come back online, and who knows how long that will take!

I think I might buck up & just stick with 4smartphone.net. All it would take for me to wish I stayed would be some event like this.

Thanks for the feedback dvdmom!
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    I think I might buck up & just stick with 4smartphone.net. All it would take for me to wish I stayed would be some event like this.

Thanks for the feedback dvdmom!
    Sure. Of course this is one server, which I'm lucky enough to be on, but who knows if this has already happened on other servers. And the various problems I've had and the wait getting back online has pushed me over the edge. I just applied for a transfer of my domains from 1and1 to Godaddy and that way I'll have those on neutral ground so that when I make the switch the Sherweb (hopefully in the next few days), it will be a smooth transition...

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    So I wanted to confirm this with any others who use 1and1. I'm using EXCHANGE as the domain exchange.1and1.com as the server, e####### as the username, and the password I normally use for OWA/Outlook. Is this right? The documentation is not very clear - they don't actually give you you the server name, but it seems this should be it, right?
    yes that's correct, and they do give you the server name here:

http://faq.1and1.com/ms_exchange/ms_...ivesync/2.html

But you can also use the following, although it is not secure:

server address: 217.160.230.241 uncheck the "server requires SSL connection" box

username: exxxxxxxxx
    Domain: EXCHANGE
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks, Captain, it works now! Ok, now my main question is - how can I tell Outlook to stop notifying me every 5 seconds when it finds a new email? Any way to turn that off?? If so, I haven't found it...

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    So far, my initial impressions of Sherweb are good, but I haven't done much. Basically I signed up and within 15 minutes (or maybe slightly more), I got an email saying my account was set up. Compare this to 1and1 which can take a day or two! The email had some initial links and a pdf of a setup guide, but I had to go to work and so just closed it. When I got to work, 1and1 had taken the opportunity to finally bring back my old data (old email, contact folders, etc.), but in the process the emails for last Thursday (the time of the crash) to the time they brought this back on line were all gone! So I had to wait a few more hours until I could get access to that email again. That email has your login information and server address and it seems there's no easy way to retrieve it without filling out a lengthy form or perhaps calling Sherweb. I didn't do either as I have no time right now with a looming deadline at work.

Once I got the email back, I logged in and saw that they have a video (well, it's one of those screen-animation things with narration, not quite a "video"). The guy talking has a French accent, so I guess I went from a German-owned company to a French-owned one? Anyway, didn't get very far in the video and didn't look at the pdf file. Just been too busy. I was hoping to do this last night when I got home (very late), but instead took the time to start cleaning out and organizing my Outlook folders, creating more rules to send various emails into different folders, removing lots of big file attachments that I didn't need, etc. I figure it would be best to start with as clean data as practical. I just have a bunch of attachments I need to save before deleting them and once that's done, I will start looking at transferring.

That leads me to a question, though. I've never done this - switch from one hosted exchange account to another. I'm wondering how to do it. Isn't what I have (Outlook) essentially a "viewer" in that the data isn't local but on the server? If so, how do I get that data transferred? I have a local .pst file with older email that I keep attached to my 1and1 Outlook account - do I have to transfer all my folders to it, then connect to Sherweb and transfer them that way?

i'm wondering if there is a free exchange server. I was looking at mail2web and their free services, however I can not get the setup cab to load on my treo. is there any way around this? or is there another free exchange server that is decent?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    The guy talking has a French accent, so I guess I went from a German-owned company to a French-owned one?
    French Canadian (Quebec), I believe.
    That leads me to a question, though. I've never done this - switch from one hosted exchange account to another. I'm wondering how to do it. Isn't what I have (Outlook) essentially a "viewer" in that the data isn't local but on the server? If so, how do I get that data transferred? I have a local .pst file with older email that I keep attached to my 1and1 Outlook account - do I have to transfer all my folders to it, then connect to Sherweb and transfer them that way?
    You can copy your emails from your old Exchange account to a local folder. Then, I think, you can email them your PST file and they will add it to your account. Send support an email and ask... it might even be simpler than that. In my experience they were very responsive and eager to help.
    You can import your 1and1 pst into your sherweb. Setup your Sherweb account and open Outlook. Click on the top folder level of the sherweb acct then click File, Import, Import from another program or file, pst then browse to your pst file.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, just did this last night. The procedure was fairly straightforward as outlined in their documentation, but took a while because as it turned out I had a bazillion messages in my "sync issues" an "sync conflicts mail folders which I didn't even know were there until I was doing an export of my pst file. Are those from Versamail on my 700P? Anyway, everything is switched over now, except that 1&1 still hasn't let go of my domains after 3 days. Apparently they have 5 at which point I guess I will try again... (I'm switching the domains to godaddy so that they are in a neutral place )

I cant believe no one has said: Intermedia!!

Ive used them for about 2 years now and have NEVER had one problem. I get my emails on my treo using Exchange Activesync faster than Outlook!

Great company.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12