Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know if this card will work with 700WX?
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SDW11G
    It should work just fine.
    I got a Spectec WiFi SD card on eBay for about the same price, including shipping and so forth.
    I got the Spectec because it's one of the smallest form-factor ones on the market, plus the signal reception is great.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Maybe you guys can help me see the point to these cards...who needs them with EVDO? I've thought about getting one but I don't want to have to carry it around in my wallet or pocket (I'd probably lose it). If they could come out with a SDIO card with 4gigs of memory THAT would be awesome b/c you wouldn't have to take it out of the Treo. Otherwise I don't see much point. I guess if you don't live in an EVDO area it might be a bit more useful.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Wi-Fi (g) - up to 54mbs
    EVDO - maybe up to 2.4mbs

For me, faster is better. Plus, I have my own network at home. With a Wi-Fi card, I can transfer files and perform an Activesync without being behind my computer anymore. I can also perform Sprite backups and have the backups stored on my computer automatically.

govtcheez did you buy it? I'm interested in it as well.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 03/29/2007 at 01:34 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me see the point to these cards...who needs them with EVDO? I've thought about getting one but I don't want to have to carry it around in my wallet or pocket (I'd probably lose it). If they could come out with a SDIO card with 4gigs of memory THAT would be awesome b/c you wouldn't have to take it out of the Treo. Otherwise I don't see much point. I guess if you don't live in an EVDO area it might be a bit more useful.

I recently switched from a 6700 that had WiFi built in. I didn't use the function a whole lot, but it was definitely nice to have. I have status at Hilton Hotels and often sit in the executive lounge, which has free beer, sodas and snacks. I often watch Slingbox on my phone and using WiFi is MUUUUCH better than using EVDO when it comes to streaming media.
    Those are good points. I don't really travel a lot and only Sling on the train on my way to work. I also barely sync with my home computer, but the file transfers would be nice
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    very interesting stuff...thanks for the post!
    Did it work?

-Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    enter coupon word EDEALINFO for 10% at geeks.com
    More importantly than the aforementioned points are that if you don't have EvDO in your area, or have low/no signal, wifi can be very useful.
    I have one, works great. But I don't need it. EVDO is fast here. Anyone want to buy it??
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnytoo View Post
    I have one, works great. But I don't need it. EVDO is fast here. Anyone want to buy it??
    Is it B/G or B only? What brand? How much?

Here's some info regarding EV-DO, from a buddy of mine who's a Sprint Sales Engineer....
    Sprint is using EVDO Rev 0 and we currently upgraded to EVDO Rev A. That launch just happened on 3/24. Your device (700wx) specifically is a Rev 0 device. EVDO Rev A handsets will be coming out later this year. The only Rev A devices currently are the mobile broadband connection cards.

Bandwidth - Here's some details on uplink and downlink speeds:

(I also included a cool *.ppt that shows you our network speeds, progression and cell design at launch - confidential)

EVDO Rev 0
    Peak: 2.1 Mbps downlink / 144 Kbps uplink
    Average: 400 - 700 Kbps downlink / 50 - 70 Kbps uplink

EVDO Rev A
    Peak: 3.1 Mbps dowlink / 1.8 Mbps uplink
    Average: 600 - 1400 Kbps downlink / 350 - 500 Kbps uplink
    My home network is at 54Mbs and most Open Wi-Fi's around my area at least 10Mbs, so I would still prefer Wi-Fi over EV-DO.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 03/31/2007 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Is it B/G or B only? What brand? How much?

Here's some info regarding EV-DO, from a buddy of mine who's a Sprint Sales Engineer....

My home network is at 54Mbs and most Open Wi-Fi's around my area at least 10Mbs, so I would still prefer Wi-Fi over EV-DO.
    The only time you will get 54mbps using wifi is computer to computer via a network (ie. to transfer files or something). If you are using wifi to surf the internet your speed will still be limited to the speed of the internet connection (cable, dsl, etc...). For example, if you are using wifi to surf the net on your Treo at home, you are probably limit to 3mbps (you may have a 5, 6, or 10 mbps service if your lucky). Of course this is still faster than EVDO but not nearly as big of a difference as 54mbps vs. 2.1mbps. It's more like 3mbps vs. 2.1 mbps. The biggest problem with EVDO is you get speed bursts but your constant (average) speed is nowhere near 2.1mbps.
    I would use it to hop on the internal network at work. I'm a field tech and our service call ticketing system is on an internal webpage. If I had WiFi, I'd be able to hop on our network and look at, edit, update, open or close service orders.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govtcheez View Post
    The SanDisk "CONNECT Low Power" SDIO WiFi card works perfectly with the 700wx, no drivers or other nonsense to install.. Winblows Mobile recognizes the card almost instantly.. SanDisk no longer makes the card, but you can find them on eBay.. I got one from SanDisk for review when I was using the (now orphaned).. Zodiac II, for which (now defunct).. Tapwave released a PalmOS WiFi driver, and at that time the card was like $150.00 or so.. grabbed a second one, brand new in the package, off eBay for $20.00 a couple months ago.. they usually go for more than that.. liquidators might have them too..

SanDisk made two versions of their SDIO WiFi card, one with 256mb of memory in it, one with no memory in it.. I can't vouch for the ones with memory in them working, but the ones without work perfectly in a 700wx and it is MUCH faster than EVDO.. at least using it to talk to my wireless 801.11b router connected to my home cable modem, it was ridiculously faster than EVDO..

The only downside to this card is that it's about twice as tall as a regular SD card..

Since the Zodiacs run PalmOS V5.xxx there's no reason Palm couldn't code and release a driver for PalmOS Treos, which also run PalmOS V5.xxx.. but for Windoze Mobile Treos, just plug the card in and go..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Since the Zodiacs run PalmOS V5.xxx there's no reason Palm couldn't code and release a driver for PalmOS Treos, which also run PalmOS V5.xxx.. but for Windoze Mobile Treos, just plug the card in and go..

Harv
    I believe the reason why we don't have wifi on PalmOS Treos is a lack of multitasking. PalmOS can't handle a wifi radio and a cellular radio at the same time, and I guess Palm doesn't want people to have to turn off their phones just to be able to use wifi, so they avoided it altogether.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I believe the reason why we don't have wifi on PalmOS Treos is a lack of multitasking. PalmOS can't handle a wifi radio and a cellular radio at the same time, and I guess Palm doesn't want people to have to turn off their phones just to be able to use wifi, so they avoided it altogether.
    Possibly.. I don't know. I'm not an engineer.. but it can handle a cellular radio and a Bluetooth radio at the same time.. I sit on the bench full of people who think the cellular carriers would rather have their customers paying for (unlimited) data plans than using WiFi for free so they demanded Palm disable (or just not supply a driver for..) .. WiFi in PalmOS Treos.. now whether WM Treos can use a WiFi card by just shoving it in has to do with the multitasking abilities of WM, or the fact that WM Treos are targeted more towards the business market than the home consumer market, I couldn't tell ya.. I still think it's do-able in a PalmOS Treo, but I don't deal with the guts of the things on that level, yet I have never seen nor heard anyone in authority from Palm give us any good reason why we CAN'T use WiFi..

And excuse me while I spew my drink of choice through my nose when I say "multitasking" and "Windows" in the same sentence.. {{spew}}..

Amigas were doing full, pre-emptive multitasking in 1985, in 4096 colors, in 256kb (thats KB not MB) of memory in an OS that fit in its entirety on an 880k floppy disk.. while an IBM PeeCees that cost $5000.00 had a green screen or 16 color CGA, and Macs had a 9 inch black and white screen.. four years later, the state of the art, or at least what almost nine thousand clams would get you.. in PeeCees had evolved to this:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/1989computer.jpg

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Has anyone found out if this card works?

Thanks,

Joe
    Yes I am interested as well
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I googled this and couldn't locate anything....

But does anyone remember seeing an SDIO WiFi card that also had some storage on it also?

I thought sure I had seen this in the past...

Thanks
    Paul G
    <><
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast