Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My install disk (a mini CD) came with the 3 choices

"WLAN-11b PPC2001" or "WLAN-11b WM5.0" or "WLAN-11b/g"

The Cab files I downloaded are labeled either:

SDIO WLAN-11b Card.CE4_StrongARM-XScale.CAB
    SDIO WLAN-11b Card.PPC420_StrongARM-XScale.CAB
    (which installed using the "WLAN-11b WM5.0" button)

or

SDIO WLAN-11g Card.CE4_StrongARM-XScale.CAB,
    SDIO WLAN-11g Card.PPC420_StrongARM-XScale.CAB
    (which installed using the "WLAN-11b/g" button)

None of them works.

Now I am confused. Did they send me the wrong software?
    What's the file time/date stamp on the files?
    Mine only came with one install file also.

How do you tell if the card is running on "b" or "g"?
    I think 3/16/2006? Can one of you PM the CAB file which works with your card?
    Perhaps if I had the CAB you all have I can get my card to work before I send it back for an exchange?
    try this
    http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#wlan

that is the download page for all the drivers, you find out which card you have by going to http://www.spectec.com.tw/wlan.htm and seeing which card looks most like yours
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Thanks for the tip, but none of their cards look exactly like mine; their blue 821 card seems to match the specs on my card (which is black and claims to be model no. SDW11G). The software on my disk does indicate that it is Spectec, though. I did try the only obvious choice (for the 821 card), but same result. Card not recgnized. Any one have the so-called "SDW11.cab" which works with the card, which they can PM me?
    There seems to be some confusion here. The original topic is regarding the SDW11G SDIO 802.11b/g wireless LAN card, as originally stated in the first thread, which looks like this...

It appears there is a discussion regarding the Spectec card as well.

I am attaching the cab file that came with my SDW11G SDIO 802.11b/g wireless LAN card card, along with the manual, for those who need it. Both the driver and SD Wireless Wifi card do work on my Palm Treo 700wx.

Here's the info on the driver:
    SDIO 802.11b/g wireless LAN card model: SDW11G
    Version: 1.0 (retrieved from ini file)
    File Time/Date stamp: 6/30/2006

Use at your own risk if used on a device other than model SDW11G
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 04/27/2007 at 01:35 AM.
    Wow. I love this board! Many folks offered help. I downloaded your CAB and the card is now recognized and works great. It immediately detected my home network.

I let Geeks know to cancel the RMA and check the install disk issue.

Thanks again Crazy, Boomer and the rest of you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me see the point to these cards...who needs them with EVDO? I've thought about getting one but I don't want to have to carry it around in my wallet or pocket (I'd probably lose it). If they could come out with a SDIO card with 4gigs of memory THAT would be awesome b/c you wouldn't have to take it out of the Treo. Otherwise I don't see much point. I guess if you don't live in an EVDO area it might be a bit more useful.
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not.....

You hit it on the nail when you said

I guess if you don't live in an EVDO area it might be a bit more useful.

Outside of the US, there aren't that many places where unlimited data plans are available, making WiFi a huge incentive.
  11. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    This card is great. I don't even have WiFi at home (got it for work) but picked up 12 other networks, 2 of which were unsecured. I'm getting 800-900kbps and .13s latency, and who knows how far away this network is.

It doesn't compare to a desktop WiFi card which can easily get 3 or more times that speed but this could also be because the Treo's stack can't process the packets fast enough.

Overall I'm surprised and very satisfied.
  12. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Does everyone else's card disconnect (and turn off) when the display turns off and reconnect automatically when the display turns back on?

If so, is there a way to keep it connected? I'm not concerned with battery drain...
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Does everyone else's card disconnect (and turn off) when the display turns off and reconnect automatically when the display turns back on?

If so, is there a way to keep it connected? I'm not concerned with battery drain...
    I haven't used it for too long, yet. But it could be your power settings. Go to Settings > Sytem > Power > Advanced

Under On battery power: Uncheck Turn off device if not used for...

I only have On External power: unchecked.
  14. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I haven't used it for too long, yet. But it could be your power settings. Go to Settings > Sytem > Power > Advanced

Under On battery power: Uncheck Turn off device if not used for...

I only have On External power: unchecked.
    No dice, I can uncheck them all and the card stays connected... but when I turn off the screen it turns off as well.

Another question: does the Spectec card also have the activity light?
    No dice, I can uncheck them all and the card stays connected... but when I turn off the screen it turns off as well.

Another question: does the Spectec card also have the activity light?
    How do you turn off the screen only? If you just single press the Red phone button, I believe that turns off the phone.
  16. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    How do you turn off the screen only? If you just single press the Red phone button, I believe that turns off the phone.
    I guess this is true on the 700wx, but 1xRTT/EDGE stays connected. Yet the WiFi doesn't...
    I guess this is true on the 700wx, but 1xRTT/EDGE stays connected. Yet the WiFi doesn't...
    Yeah, that's the phone radio, so you can still receive calls. If you press and hold the red phone button, you will turn off the radio. If you just single press the red phone button, then you just shut off the device, but can still receive phone calls.
  18. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's the phone radio, so you can still receive calls. If you press and hold the red phone button, you will turn off the radio. If you just single press the red phone button, then you just shut off the device, but can still receive phone calls.
    Amazing.

I don't want to just receive calls, I also want to be able to check my email every x minutes, and everything else that entails having an available Wifi connection.
    If you don't want your device to sleep, I can create a Mortscript script that will constantly loop, using RunAt command, every minute. This should keep the device awake, but will still allow the screen to turn off. WARNING, this will be a battery killer.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    So which WiFi card is better?

SDW11G or Spectec?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast