1.    #1  
    G'day,

I have a new 700wx set up for direct push with my Exchange 2003/SBS system - works great.

Been about a week, and our Telus rep said the 4MB package from them is good for 50 - 70 emails a day.

I'm getting maybe 20 - 30 a day.

I've also got it set to sync my calendar, contacts and notes - very few changes going on here.

Doing absolute NO web browsing.

Just checked my account online, and 4 out of 7 days have been over 400K - that blows my 4MB package in less than 10 days.

Is there a good way to log actual data use on the phone itself so I can potentially dispute the metering Telus is doing?

I'm not right downtown (Ottawa), and EVDO coverage isn't always there, so my phone is dialing up using 1x to sync on occassion. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks,

Sleeman
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    You better upgrade that to the Unlimited Data package, and do so in the very near future. If I have a month where all I'm doing is Exchange e-mail, some light device-based browsing, and not much else, I'm still well over 100MB.

What the rep said might be good for a Blackberry, but not on a WM device.
  3.    #4  
    Telus doesn't have unlimited data - $25 for 4MB, $40 for 8MB, $60 for 30MB, and $100 for 250MB.

The big question is WTF is my 700wx doing to have such high data transfers when the sum of all my email per day is less than 100K?

Is there a proggy that does more than GPRS Monitor and actually allow you to firewall apps from getting out? This HAS to be controllable.

Cheers,

Sleeman

Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    You better upgrade that to the Unlimited Data package, and do so in the very near future. If I have a month where all I'm doing is Exchange e-mail, some light device-based browsing, and not much else, I'm still well over 100MB.

What the rep said might be good for a Blackberry, but not on a WM device.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    With my Treo 680 and Exchange active sync, I use about 140mb/month. I can tell you that carrier who won't offer cheap unlimited data really aten't interested in device that support MS Exchange, because their data limits are ridiculously low. That said, do you have an option in Otttawa to switch to a carrier with reasonable (say $20/month for unlimited) data rates? If you do, I'd switch in a heartbeat and use the cost of the data as your reason. Right now, with Treos in general, (winmo or Palm Os) I have never seen a firewall, much less one that can restrict data from certain ports or applications. Good luck! Data cost is why I stick with T-Mobile!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I don't understand why data rates in canada are so much
    God those data rates are unbelievable.

Sprint = $15 a month for unlimited.

I would be complaining or something. Thats not even close to affordable.
    I am assuming that is canadian dollars but that still is higher then even Verizon in the states.
  8.    #9  
    No kidding. Here's the basic issue in Canada - too few players, and they're all in bed together (imho, it's classic collusion). Case in point - I won a 700wx from Microsoft before Christmas - turns out it was provided by Bell Canada, and not Telus (whom I have been with forever and have a contract that expires in July 07).

So I go to Telus and say - hey, here's a CDMA phone I want to activate on your network - and after sitting on the phone with as high as I could get in the organization, the guy on the other end actually says "we have an agreement between us and Bell that we won't activate the other companies' devices on our network."

I sold the Bell phone on eBay (took less than 4 hours to go @ $425 Cdn (~$365 USD), and bought a Telus unit a couple weeks ago for slightly less (new, no contract .

I had a Kyocera 7135 for the past 3 years and _never_ used data on it simply because the costs were too high. My company will foot the bill for data on my 700wx, but there will be a limit to it.

Thankfully, WNP just arrived in Canada (wireless number portability), and hopefully this will jar them all into getting more competitive with data rates. Yes, the rates are completely ridiculous, and they're probably keeping them that way for 2 reasons - it's profitable, they would have to spend $ on their networks if the price dropped and more people signed up, and they can (OK, that's 3).

Here's what we can all do in Canada - STOP SIGNING MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENTS. The landscape is about to change in the coming months - mark my words. I studied the telecoms in Canada 15 years ago when LD competition arrived in Canada (High Honours, Mass Comm) and prices fell through the floor. Combined with WNP and burgeoning wi-fi (Toronto is getting free wi-fi soon), high data rates will soon be a thing of the past.

Doesn't help me right now however (although I do have 3 months unlimited, and my contract is up in July) ARE YOU READING THIS TELUS? Wake up boneheads (that includes you too Bell & Rogers).

Cheers,

Sleeman

Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    God those data rates are unbelievable.

Sprint = $15 a month for unlimited.

I would be complaining or something. Thats not even close to affordable.
    I am suffering from the same issue from Bell. The wireless manager is constantly connecting and I'm not downloading emails. I talked to Bell tech support and got some outright lies. I had a Treo 650 ( before I dropped it ) and went to the 700WX. My usage has decreased but the bill double. There is something very wrong here and Bell refuses to deal with it.

I am at the point of disconnecting that part of the service.

Not impressed!!!

W