Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the article here at Treo central is says this" Of course, the big software news is that Windows Mobile 06 will be available on all Treo 750s (and here's the photo we took of it), Cingular, Vodaphone, or otherwise. Palm has not talked about availability or price as of yet, but you can expect an update from us as soon as we know." so am i reading right, there might be a possibility that we will have to pay for this upgrade?? Now if the HSDPA upgrade is goin to be included in the upgrade the HSDPA was suppose to be free, so why would Palm even think about charging?
    I've read that it will be free. It *IS* the free HSDPA upgrade that Palm promised us along with WM6. The pro is that we get WM6 and hopefully a faster/better OS upgrade. The con is that we have to wait until no earlier than June for any kind of update.
    But I'm not complaining. I'm just happy we're getting WM6.
    I've never heard of any company charging for OS upgrades on mobile devices. Palm would have to have some big balls to try and charge people to upgrade to WM6, especially if other companies are doing it for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I've never heard of any company charging for OS upgrades on mobile devices. Palm would have to have some big balls to try and charge people to upgrade to WM6, especially if other companies are doing it for free.
    Actually WM upgrades commonly cost about $30, to cover shipping and engineering. Getting it free is unusual, however everything we know so far points to this one actually being free.

Surur
    It doesn't matter. It's free. It's confirmed. It took me less than 60 seconds to google it.
    http://www.mobilitysite.com/2007/03/...ile_6_free.php
    According to Palm, WM6 is free, unless carriers want to add specific programs or customizations, in which case there will be a small fee.
  7.    #7  
    Lets pray Cingular doesnt try to implement a few things just to charge us.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    Lets pray Cingular doesnt try to implement a few things just to charge us.
    Even if they do decide to charge, I am getting it anyways.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  9.    #9  
    Oh yea no doubt about it, its something I will pay for too.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I agree with ^^. I would pay for it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Dell charged $49 when they offered an upgrade from WM2003SE to WM5 on their Axim X50 series.

I would pay for the WM6 upgrade too...
    I won't pay extra- and think about it... when you say "I would pay for it", what message are you giving the executives that might be peeping in for feedbacks and they will think, "Ok, great- let's charge people for it"
    Quote Originally Posted by yukster View Post
    Dell charged $49 when they offered an upgrade from WM2003SE to WM5 on their Axim X50 series.

Shhhhh...someone will hear you
    Ok ok... I wouldn't pay for it...
    While paying for WM6 specificall6 wouldn't be a crime (I'm thankful it'll be 'free'.) Paying for it in this case would be unacceptable because the WM6 release is rolled in to the promised free Treo 750 update for bug fixes and HSDPA.
    If the HSDPA/bug fix update was separate from the WM6 update, then it would be a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by yukster View Post

I heard about this, but any time I went looking for it, it didn't seem to be available.
    HP/Compaq did charge for upgrades as well. I remember upgrading in the earlier days of the iPaq range and paying $29 for the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkrieser View Post
    I heard about this, but any time I went looking for it, it didn't seem to be available.
    Yeah... it was a pretty messy affair for a while. It took them forever to release it, and the upgrade had a lot of performance problems when it came out. They stopped selling the upgrade because of that.

A year after they released it, they came out with a firmware update that seemed to have fixed everything. Luckily, I got the X51v which came with WM5.
    My X50v died out of warranty, which led me to buying my 750.

My intention had been to wait on a new phone, absent my phone dying, until I needed to replace my Dell. It just came much quicker than I planned on.

I had been planning to consider an iPhone if it met some minimum requirements later this year. Guess that is out the window now It doesn't sound like the iPhone is planned to be open enough for me anyway.
    If it were a major upgrade, then MAYBE they could charge for it. Other than what we're supposed to get for free anyway - the actual operating system didn't change much. Why upgrade unless it's free?
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast