Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    \unsubscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    LOL, I did go to their home page, and the pages for the 750. Nowhere is it mentioned that WM6 is even available. Where did you see it? Do you have the URL?

RIGHT HERE!......
    Old news. It's been known that it would be available. This thread is discussing the cost. Where does it say "FREE"?
    Old news. It's been known that it would be available. This thread is discussing the cost. Where does it say "FREE"?
    Um, I was answering this question
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72
    LOL, I did go to their home page, and the pages for the 750. Nowhere is it mentioned that WM6 is even available. Where did you see it? Do you have the URL?
    Where in this question do you ask if it's free?

OK smarty, where in the press release does it say it won't be free? It says available for download, not 'available for sale'. I (rightly so) assume that to mean this is a service update for no charge like all treo upgrades in the past always have been.

Nothing says WM6 will be free in any official press release so tothat end it can not be confirmed to your satisfation. It doesn't mean the press didn't get confirmation before they blogged it.

All I know is:
    WM6 is being licensed for free to OEMs.
    A free HSDPA upgrade going to be available for the treo.
    No HSDPA upgrade for WM5 has been announced.
    No treo upgrade has ever been for a fee.
    Therefore if HSDPA is delivered via WM6, it HAS to be free.
    It would be very difficult to charge for a ROM upgrade for a Treo. It would be duper easy to Pirate (so why bother)

That's it. That's all I got. It seems pretty darn likely (not concrete) to me.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/07/2007 at 12:37 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Um, I was answering this questionWhere in this question do you ask if it's free?

OK smarty, where in the press release does it say it won't be free? It says available for download, not 'available for sale'. I (rightly so) assume that to mean this is a service update for no charge like all treo upgrades in the past always have been.

Nothing says WM6 will be free in any official press release so tothat end it can not be confirmed to your satisfation. It doesn't mean the press didn't get confirmation before they blogged it.

All I know is:
    A free HSDPA upgrade going to be free for the treo.
    It would be very difficult to charge for a ROM upgrade for a Treo. It would be duper easy to Pirate (so why bother)

That's it. That's all I got. It seems pretty darn likely to me.

Please just accept it.

Oh yeah. My buddy at Palm said so
    (why didn't I just say so huh?)
    Yea that sums it all up!!!
    Agreed. It has been reported as a 'free upgrade' as well as "Palm announces free WM6 upgrades" on many different blogs. But none of those blogs have any source material to back up that claim. For all we know the blogs are just quoting each other and one blog said "I heard it was free" and they all decided that it was announced as free. But I thought one of them said that they had confirmed via word of mouth by talking to a Palm or AT&T spokesperson that it was free and that's where the claim came from, not a black and white press release.

So having said that it's been hard for me to publish a URL that ends this ridiculous thread to anything other than blogs which aren't all exactly crack journalism (more like a rumor mill.)
    But I think I've successfully concluded that the upgrade is officially considered free.

Palm has never charged for a smartphone upgrade that I can remember. It's either free or they just stop supporting the product (like the 650 which still has bugs, )

Sigh.... this is great fun isn't it? Peace, bro.
    Hehe...Well, sometimes I enjoy back and forth's like this. That's how sick I am. And you totally called me on the thing on palm.com. It doesn't say it there even though, because I did read it from a good source, but for some reason could have sworn it was palm's website and I was wrong. Now to analyze this even further, lol, I don't care enough to find where I actually did read it to uphold my claim. Now what does that say about me? lol...

Or maybe it doesn't say anything at all. Maybe it means it's not a big deal, which happens to be my opinion anyway, but maybe it also says a lot about us that we actually care this much about something as trivial as this when there are wars going on. Hmm...or maybe it's obscene. Please everybody, I don't mean to call ANY of you anything other than Treo enthusiasts, but isn't it obscene that we, and myself VERY much included, invest time and energy into this when the world is as unstable as I've ever seen it while alive. Then again, another point of view would be positive. And that would be that we're trying to somehow get away from the craziness going on and talk about this.

Sorry, end of off-topic rambling. WM5 rules! LOL...take care everyone.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Um, I was answering this questionWhere in this question do you ask if it's free?

All I know is:
    A free HSDPA upgrade going to be available for the treo.

That's it. That's all I got. It seems pretty darn likely (not concrete) to me.
    Just a couple of point of clarification, and for sure I agree with you 100% that the upgrade will be free.

However, it was disproven that WM6 license will be free to OEM, that was a false report and if Palm really wanted to they could lock the upgrade to the IMEI number of the device. When Palm released the update for the Verizon 700w you actually had to put the IMEI number of the device into the upgrade tool to even enable the download.

That being said, Palm has never charged for an update, palm did promise enabling HSPDA on the 750 via an update and it makes sense that the update would include WM6
    Well, I just want to let everyone know that I feel great. And especially since I got two Treo 750's for free. LOL...So whatever with the WM6. This thread has become so trivial and silly.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Well, now that this thread has reduced itself to name calling, I would only like to point out that that message that you are referring to was in response to one of YOUR message stating that you agreed that WM6 had not been officially announced as FREE. Follow the entire thread, for gosh sakes. You had been reading and posting to it. That is the title of this thread, for heaven's sake. A free download? No charage? How much will it cost? It's all sematics. It's all rumor. Nothing has been put down on paper yet.

So get a grip on life. It is free, so what? If it isn't free, so what? Will the world end tomorrow if it isn't free? Maybe, for some people. And I really don't give a rat's behind whether it is or isn't, because the people in this group have such self rightgeous attitudes that they have the inside knowledge about it, it's enough to make one sick. If someone dare question their information, or offer alternative opinions, or (heaven forbid) ask for the proof behind a statement, they get ridiculed and called names. Attitudes like those will only cause membership in this site to increase, I am sure.
    Last edited by ivhs72; 04/08/2007 at 09:09 PM.
    Well, now that this thread has reduced itself to name calling, I would only like to point out that that message that you are referring to was in response to one of YOUR message stating that you agreed that WM6 had not been officially announced as FREE. Follow the entire thread, for gosh sakes. You had been reading and posting to it. That is the title of this thread, for heaven's sake. A free download? No charage? How much will it cost? It's all sematics. It's all rumor. Nothing has been put down on paper yet.

So get a grip on life. It is free, so what? If it isn't free, so what? Will the world end tomorrow if it isn't free? Maybe, for some people. And I really don't give a rat's behind whether it is or isn't, because the people in this group have such self rightgeous attitudes that they have the inside knowledge about it, it's enough to make one sick. If someone dare question their information, or offer alternative opinions, or (heaven forbid) ask for the proof behind a statement, they get ridiculed and called names. Attitudes like those will only cause membership in this site to increase, I am sure.
    Alright, that's enough out of you. And because I say so. I think you care more about this silliness than anyone else. And just to **** you off more (I'm a bit bored and feeling good baby, HA!), I'm going to call in credits for a bunch of my buddies this week, including my buddy who you keep attacking.

It looks like you care most about the release date blahblah by perpetuating the name-calling in this thread by posting and posting and posting some more garbage. Shut...up! And to all others, a goooooooooood night!

Crunch

Well, now that this thread has reduced itself to name calling,
    Your right. I'm sorry. I know better than that. It's uncalled for and I'm not happy that I stooped to that level. But you really know how to push buttons.
    I would only like to point out that that message that you are referring to was in response to one of YOUR message stating that you agreed that WM6 had not been officially announced as FREE. Follow the entire thread, for gosh sakes. You had been reading and posting to it. That is the title of this thread, for heaven's sake.
    You know what? Don't give me crap about it.

I was not referring to the free announcement, I was referring to you saying that WM6 hadn't even been announced. I know what the title and topic was, but your post was not on that particular topic. You specifically said WM6 hadn't been announced and I was specifically showing you where it was. What was said prior to that is irrelevant to my answer to your question and you know it.
    Prior to your post we even discussed it and agreed that it didn't say in the press release that it was free. So your response came after the conclusion of that particular discussion. Excuse me for not knowing you were still talking about the 'free' announcement when all you said IN THAT POST was that WM6 hadn't been announced.
    A free download? No charge? How much will it cost? It's all sematics. It's all rumor. Nothing has been put down on paper yet.
    You're right. I concur. After having hammered out this subject to death you've made it quite clear that there is nothing concrete to confirm that it's Free. I've even already said/admitted that.
    So get a grip on life.
    I don't think thatll be necessary. Just because you know how to push my buttons doesn't mean I don't have a 'a grip on life'. LOL. But fair of you to say that. After all I did call you a name.
    It is free, so what? If it isn't free, so what? Will the world end tomorrow if it isn't free? Maybe, for some people. And I really don't give a rat's behind whether it is or isn't,
    OK, I specifically remember you saying
    My guess is what will happen is that there will be a charge for the WM6 upgrade, and then Cingular will release the free upgrade, but it will only be for WM6 phones. That way Microsoft gets their upgrade fee, and Cingular gives the promised upgrade away for free. If someone challeneges on it, their excuse would be they never said the free upgrade was for WM5. Kinda sleezy, but that is the reality of the business world.
    It appears to me you gave a rat's behind at one point. You even put up the 'mad' emoticon.
    But for the record I could care less if it's free or now. I'll happily pay for an upgrade as long as I don't have to upgrade to WM6 to get HSDPA. I DO give a rat's behind that I'd have to pay for an HSDPA upgrade.
    So *IF* HSDPA is rolled in to WM6, I care if it's not free.
    *IF* HSDPA for WM5 is free and there's a fee for WM6. Then so be it.

I don't get where you think I care much either way. I was just trying to answer your question. You were so upset about having to pay for WM6 and all I was trying to do was show you that it'd be free. While it appears it's impossible to prove that never mind show that it's likely. It still could very well be free.
    I don't think anyone knows.
    because the people in this group have such self righteous attitudes that they have the inside knowledge about it, it's enough to make one sick. If someone dare question their information, or offer alternative opinions, or (heaven forbid) ask for the proof behind a statement, they get ridiculed and called names. Attitudes like those will only cause membership in this site to increase, I am sure.
    You've got a very good point there. I think some of us how have followed this forum for years forget that as new people come in, they don't necessarily have the perspective we do. While I see rumors at relatively sure things sometime, it's easy for people (like you perhaps) to not give them any credibility because you haven't seen the track record.

Having said that I have every respect for the counterpoints you've made. I didn't realize that some of my points were not so correct because I quite frankly didn't spend much time on them. I guess I don't care enough so I should have just stayed out of it like I usually do in such a situation.
    But when I got in to this I thought I knew what I was talking about.

I Herby make the following statements:
    1) I am sorry for calling you a name, getting 'short' with you and otherwise being an as(k) at times. I do believe I've maintained integrity and on-topic in most of my posts, but I apologize for the ones I did not.
    2) I have no interest in this topic except that I was just trying to help by answering with what I knew and thought to be fact (which turns out to be rumor.) My bad on that one I know better.
    However, I am excited to see the 750 isn't already obsolete and is getting WM6.
    3) I have a track record of being one of the more polite and more helpful people on here and Howard Forums. My post history speaks for itself.
    4) I'm not responding to THIS thread anymore. This topic is done. You've concluded there is not conclusion.

No hard feelings. I have nothing personal against you. I just exercise poor judgement posting and I'm sorry.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/09/2007 at 04:16 PM.
    Thank you for your message, and I, too, would like to apologize to you presonally, and to the other members of this thread that I may have offended. My intent was not to **** anyone off, or cause any ill feelings. This is a great news group, and a tremendous source of information. On that note, I'll just retire into the sunset on this thread, and let sleeping dogs lie.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Cingular is now the new AT&T, your world delivered.
    Matty
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    ivhs72 - Taylorh is good people and has always been the 1st to help someone out when they have a phone issue, I don't think he talks trash or has a sense of entitlement.

I am sure WM6 will be free for the 750 because once it is out, they will stop releasing new 750's with WM5 and only release it with WM6. Also, T-Mobile has released WM6 for some of their phones for free, I don't think they would go above and beyond to screw their customers.
    Palm 650 > Nokis 6682 > HTC 8125 > Nokia e62 > BB Pearl > Samsung Blackjack > HTC 8525 > Treo 750 & HTC Trinity
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i just recieved my new 750 direct from ATT on June 30, and it came with wm5
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by rycck View Post
    i just recieved my new 750 direct from ATT on June 30, and it came with wm5
    But Of course.
    My friend using the Dopod 838 Pro has received a notice from Dopod Asia that WM6 ROM updates will release on 9-Jul-2007 for them.

I wonder why can't Palm do the same thing by keeping us informed? So what if they are going to release in Christmas? At least we are well inform of when our updates will come... I hate playing the waiting game.
    At this point I'd be willing to pay $10 or $20 to get the upgrade faster. WM5 is so friggin' unstable for me I just cannot stand it anymore and are longing for the upgrade or a new Treo POS with 3G phone ASAP.

As a side note - how do these SPAM guys get on here to post their crap without even being a member?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptan218 View Post
    My friend using the Dopod 838 Pro has received a notice from Dopod Asia that WM6 ROM updates will release on 9-Jul-2007 for them.

I wonder why can't Palm do the same thing by keeping us informed? So what if they are going to release in Christmas? At least we are well inform of when our updates will come... I hate playing the waiting game.
    Because this way when they miss the release date, and they will, they don't have a few hundred thousand customer angry. I can't imagine the recent lay-off helps things.
    Remember the HSDPA update that we were supposed to get in Spring? "Buy it now with UMTS, HSDPA is coming in just a few months."
    Well we all assume that HSDPA update was rolled in to WM6 (I'm sure it is) but all we got as a vague and cryptic press release about a Treo 750 and WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    At this point I'd be willing to pay $10 or $20 to get the upgrade faster. WM5 is so friggin' unstable for me I just cannot stand it anymore and are longing for the upgrade or a new Treo POS with 3G phone ASAP.

As a side note - how do these SPAM guys get on here to post their crap without even being a member?
    I'm with you. I wish I could get a hold of WM6 for my 750. I am almost ready to get rid of this damn thing cause I am having software issues and have to reboot it daily now. Palm really greased us up on this... they are taking their sweet time to give us WM6.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast