Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    If it were a major upgrade, then MAYBE they could charge for it. Other than what we're supposed to get for free anyway - the actual operating system didn't change much. Why upgrade unless it's free?
    There is some goodies in there which you would miss if you were not able to get it, like HTML e-mail.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    It doesn't matter. It's free. It's confirmed. It took me less than 60 seconds to google it.
    http://www.mobilitysite.com/2007/03/...ile_6_free.php

Nowhere in the article does it say that it a free upgrade. Did I miss something?

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I guess I would pay for it, but not much. Obviously free is much better in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro View Post
    I guess I would pay for it, but not much. Obviously free is much better in my eyes.
    Free is a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Nowhere in the article does it say that it a free upgrade. Did I miss something?

I don't think it's in that article but I did see in other places that it was confirmed to be a free upgrade. (No you didn't miss anything.)
    EDIT:
    Now that I go hunting and searching, nowhere does any official press release confirm it's free. The headline of some blogs say "FREE!!!" but as far as I can tell it's an assumption.
    This is the press release: http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=235490
    I read in to it that they won't be charging for it. In fact they can't charge for it. This is still the free upgrade that has been promised to us all along. Unless of course they had 2 upgrades, the free one and the WM6. But that's not going to happen as they are rolling all of it in to the one WM6 update.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/05/2007 at 05:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    Do we have to pay for WM6??
    Not unless you just want to.
    I don't think it's in that article but I did see in other places that it was confirmed to be a free upgrade. (No you didn't miss anything.)
    EDIT:
    Now that I go hunting and searching, nowhere does any official press release confirm it's free. The headline of some blogs say "FREE!!!" but as far as I can tell it's an assumption.
    This is the press release: http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=235490
    I read in to it that they won't be charging for it. In fact they can't charge for it. This is still the free upgrade that has been promised to us all along. Unless of course they had 2 upgrades, the free one and the WM6. But that's not going to happen as they are rolling all of it in to the one WM6 update.
    Everything I have read has been from Palm, and nothing is mentioned about free. What is the free upgrade that was promised, was it from Cingular? I'm not that interested since I'm a Tmobile user, but it would be nice to know if this upgrade was specific for the Cingular network or the phone in general. I have yet to know Microsoft to give anything away for free.

My guess is what will happen is that there will be a charge for the WM6 upgrade, and then Cingular will release the free upgrade, but it will only be for WM6 phones. That way Microsoft gets their upgrade fee, and Cingular gives the promised upgrade away for free. If someone challeneges on it, their excuse would be they never said the free upgrade was for WM5. Kinda sleezy, but that is the reality of the business world.

YEEEEEEEEEES! Just go to palm.com and it's right on their HOME PAGE. LOL
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Everything I have read has been from Palm, and nothing is mentioned about free. What is the free upgrade that was promised, was it from Cingular? I'm not that interested since I'm a Tmobile user, but it would be nice to know if this upgrade was specific for the Cingular network or the phone in general. I have yet to know Microsoft to give anything away for free.

My guess is what will happen is that there will be a charge for the WM6 upgrade, and then Cingular will release the free upgrade, but it will only be for WM6 phones. That way Microsoft gets their upgrade fee, and Cingular gives the promised upgrade away for free. If someone challeneges on it, their excuse would be they never said the free upgrade was for WM5. Kinda sleezy, but that is the reality of the business world.

Dude, simmer down.

The Palm Treo 750 initially will be enabled for UMTS with a free upgrade, scheduled to be available later in 2007, to Cingular's supercharged HSDPA technology. UMTS/HSDPA is a global standard and natural 3G evolutionary path for GSM providers with 142 UMTS networks in 61 countries currently available.
    Source:
    http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=224545

A la google:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...om&btnG=Search

Yes, even before the Treo 750 shipped it was promised "upgradable to HSDPA in 2007" and it was always implied that it was a free upgrade as in "we're advertising the feature now to be available later down the road becasue we suck and couldn't get the feature working on time"
    http://www.cingular.com/treo750
    But regarless, the HSDPA upgrade is in fact confirmed free.

If they charge for the upgrade, I will personally take the day off of work, find an attourney, and file the class action lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Yes, but THAT press release mentions nothing about price or lackthereof.

HOWEVER, as I said before. The HSDPA upgrade is free. WM6 is being made free from Microsoft to manufacturers and carriers (confirmed.) The 'free' HSDPA upgrade is part of the WM6 upgrade. Therefore the WM6 absolutely has to be free.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/06/2007 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh

If they charge for the upgrade, I will personally take the day off of work, find an attourney, and file the class action lawsuit.Yes, but THAT press release mentions nothing about price or lackthereof.
    Just looked at it again and you're right. But I definitely saw it somewhere. It said something like "All Treo 750 users will be getting an upgrade in June with WM6 and the ability to browse at HSDPA speeds. There will be no charge for current Treo 750 owners." I think it might have been endagadgetmobile or endagadget.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Just looked at it again and you're right. But I definitely saw it somewhere. It said something like "All Treo 750 users will be getting an upgrade in June with WM6 and the ability to browse at HSDPA speeds. There will be no charge for current Treo 750 owners." I think it might have been endagadgetmobile or endagadget.
    Agreed. It has been reported as a 'free upgrade' as well as "Palm announces free WM6 upgrades" on many different blogs. But none of those blogs have any source material to back up that claim. For all we know the blogs are just quoting each other and one blog said "I heard it was free" and they all decided that it was announced as free. But I thought one of them said that they had confirmed via word of mouth by talking to a Palm or AT&T spokesperson that it was free and that's where the claim came from, not a black and white press release.

So having said that it's been hard for me to publish a URL that ends this ridiculous thread to anything other than blogs which aren't all exactly crack journalism (more like a rumor mill.)
    But I think I've successfully concluded that the upgrade is officially considered free.

Palm has never charged for a smartphone upgrade that I can remember. It's either free or they just stop supporting the product (like the 650 which still has bugs, )

Sigh.... this is great fun isn't it? Peace, bro.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/06/2007 at 01:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Agreed. It has been reported as a 'free upgrade' as well as "Palm announces free WM6 upgrades" on many different blogs. But none of those blogs have any source material to back up that claim.
    Just ask Ed Hardy for his.
    Dude, simmer down.

Source:
    http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=224545

A la google:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...om&btnG=Search

Yes, even before the Treo 750 shipped it was promised "upgradable to HSDPA in 2007" and it was always implied that it was a free upgrade as in "we're advertising the feature now to be available later down the road becasue we suck and couldn't get the feature working on time"
    http://www.cingular.com/treo750
    But regarless, the HSDPA upgrade is in fact confirmed free.

HOWEVER, as I said before. The HSDPA upgrade is free. WM6 is being made free from Microsoft to manufacturers and carriers (confirmed.) The 'free' HSDPA upgrade is part of the WM6 upgrade. Therefore the WM6 absolutely has to be free.
    Okay, the HSDPA upgrade is free. Now the question is, will that upgrade work with WM5, or do you need WM6. If Microsoft is giving something away for free, that is a moment to remember.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Okay, the HSDPA upgrade is free. Now the question is, will that upgrade work with WM5, or do you need WM6. If Microsoft is giving something away for free, that is a moment to remember.

You must be a hoot on Christmas morning.
    LOL, I did go to their home page, and the pages for the 750. Nowhere is it mentioned that WM6 is even available. Where did you see it? Do you have the URL?

I think it's just too soon to know. We'll see how things turn out in the next few days.
    Buy online Tramadola and watson Soma.
    Best credit card applications, apply for a credit card.
    LOL, I did go to their home page, and the pages for the 750. Nowhere is it mentioned that WM6 is even available. Where did you see it? Do you have the URL?

Its a big banner right on the front of www.palm.com.

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail.cfm?ReleaseID=235490&creativeID=LFB|winmo6
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    The joker is just an antagonist. Answers aren't what he's after.
    I called and was told this....

we will roll out the wm6 and charge bytes per download.

as we have gas prices, too shall we have byte prices.
    for each region in each states, we will multiple the cost of gas by 2 then divide the amount by 33 percent.
    then mutiply that with each bytes which are downloaded.

have a great day, treos owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    Its a big banner right on the front of www.palm.com.

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail.cfm?ReleaseID=235490&creativeID=LFB|winmo6
    I agree, it does say that WM6 will be available for the Treo 750, and the AT&T customers will be able to acess the HSDPA capability. But this announcement doesn't address any pricing issues. What does Cingular say about that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast