Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Did you find RC11? If not, try the latest ver 4.0 (not the alpha 4.1).

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...=list&entry=18
    Yes, got everything to work. Nice job, by the way. Is there a simple way to do a USPS zipcode lookup rather than launching IE? Similar to the way xcast gets the weather.com xml?

As for the need for the script... I'm still not convinced that maintaining an external .xml is necessary..................................I am compelled to scrutinize any spawings of it. It's like a kid that you adopted at age 7, raised him in a particular environment to age 17, then he was lured away by a girl or the circus or by a cult for a few years. When he comes home with a few tattoos, surely you'd ask him a few what and why questions, aye?

<grin, wink, roll eyes, etc.>

-- JDC
    I noticed you wrote that as "he" goes off to join the circus, not "she". LOL

You raise a good issue about b*st*rdized versions of code showing up everywhere. It's not a big problem today but I can see things going that way.

I'm not sure where this leads except more rules.....At the very least, a more structured code repository.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Couple problems with an ini file where the xml route is good or seems like a cool idea (and what I'm playing with now for PodcastPlaylist, so thanks reverged for it):
    You'll have to thank jsacks, as he wrote it!
    Quote Originally Posted by reverged View Post
    Yes, got everything to work. Nice job, by the way.
    Thanks, but only if you're referring to me and my code.

Is there a simple way to do a USPS zipcode lookup rather than launching IE? Similar to the way xcast gets the weather.com xml?
    Many fee-based services and commercial software programs do this. Maybe if you can finger out how to pass ZipCode info to this site:

http://www.usnaviguide.com/

Here's syntax for latitude/longitude for where Elvis is buried:

http://www.usnaviguide.com/revtigerr...at=35&long=-90

I noticed you wrote that as "he" goes off to join the circus, not "she". LOL
    Last time I checked, I was a "he". Can't officially speak for g-funkster.

You raise a good issue about b*st*rdized versions of code showing up everywhere. It's not a big problem today but I can see things going that way.
    I think the author of the script in question meant well. Not knowing their gender, "they" saw a potential feature and created a new script with the feature included. An alternate method would have been to request the feature and let the original codesters bat the idea around. It was a similar feature that I had planned on including in TheForceCast.mscr, just hadn't gotten around to coding yet. As for what "they" did with the code, that's the beauty of a public forum. They created something new and others blindly, like lemmings falling off a cliff, embraced it.

Seriously, I wouldn't go as far as referring to this as "b*st*rdized" code. However, the methods deployed appeared as if the author did not fully test the other controlling script -- "TheForceCast" -- that has been "out there" for weeks.

I suppose I could get off my soap box and finish it.

I'm not sure where this leads except more rules.....At the very least, a more structured code repository.
    That's what we've tried to instill here in this subforum. If anyone uses my original code as a template or catalyst to another program, they will begin with hopefully a framework that conforms to many of the standards we've been discussing here for weeks.

-- JDC
    ... Is there a simple way to do a USPS zipcode lookup rather than launching IE? Similar to the way xcast gets the weather.com xml?
    On second thought, the way xcast gets weather info can also be used to parse JUST a ZipCode... to the SAME weather site.

You may be onto something here.

That's how xCast works. We pass a zipcode to get the weather for that location.

http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/30043?dayf=1&cc=*&hbhf=24"

In the returned .xml file is the location...

<dnam>Lawrenceville, GA (30043)</dnam>

hmmmmmmmm...

... but getting it work in the inverse direction is what you're after, aye? Send a city name and get a list of zips. That might take some doing. Or... to send a city name to the xoap weather site...

-- JDC

[update] for how to do this, see http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=29

[update #2] this opens up new horizons... like getting the weather in other cites/countries, without zip codes.
    Last edited by jdcochran; 03/30/2007 at 03:27 PM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    Did you find RC11? If not, try the latest ver 4.0 (not the alpha 4.1).

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...=list&entry=18

As for the need for the script... I'm still not convinced that maintaining an external .xml is necessary. One can easily put their favorite zipcodes (and location info) in an .ini or simply embed them, hard-coded, in the controlling script.

It's just a preference thing. Seems a tad superfluous, IMHO. Since the bulk of the original code in xCastZipSelect.mscr was borrowed from me and my bud g-funkster, I am compelled to scrutinize any spawings of it....

<snip>
    -- JDC
    Two points...

1. I decided on the xml file so not to interfere with the .ini, this is the domain of the xCast program. What if the .ini file changes, I don't control this? I find the zip code, change it and write back the data as is, this way I don't have to worry about updating the code if the xCast developer puts more data in the ini or someone else writes a program not expecting multiple zip codes or my ini entry.

Also, the XML is just easy to read, it could be another .ini file but I would still need to parse the list into an array for the select and do multiple inireads.

(ie: zipcodes="12345,87546,12854") or write code in another loop to pull out zipcode1="12345",zipcode2="87546",zipcode3="12854")

In general you want to limit I/O, working in memory is usually faster than working to disk (I know it's all memory on the Treo, but I think it still applies).

2. On the other issue (why store the zips at all?), this was simply to have a list of my frequently used zip codes in a file so I can easily select them, I didn't need a city in Iowa. I didn't need any other functionality and didn't want this to work only for the zip code I was in.

Other comments welcomed, but I think I am done with this code, was just a small project I wanted to share.

JSACKS<<
    Need a condo in Killington, VT: http://vtcondo.jsacks.com
    see the latest xcast and front end on steroids in the xcast thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12