1.    #1  
    My program memory appears to bounce around pretty regularly. I go from 11M to 9M to 1M. Lately my phone has been giving me critically low memory errors. I don't have much installed on my phone. Any ideas what might be causing it?
    Palm 700w
    I'm a newbie to smartphones and the like, so be nice!
    [QUOTE=Wingnut33;1228103]My program memory appears to bounce around pretty regularly. I go from 11M to 9M to 1M. Lately my phone has been giving me critically low memory errors. I don't have much installed on my phone. Any ideas what might be causing it?[/QUOT

The 700w is precious little program memory, so running an application like windows media will basically drop you down to critically low levels. "X"ing out of a program does not shut it down, it only minimizes it so keeping an eye on your running programs is critical. You need to watch your task mananager and manually shut down programs in order to keep enough free to keep your device working. If you just got the w i recommend you return and go for the wx as it has about three times as much program memory. if not, you may want to invest in a task managing program like handyswitcher so you can more easily close out programs your not using.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    ..."X"ing out of a program does not shut it down, it only minimizes it so keeping an eye on your running programs is critical. You need to watch your task mananager and manually shut down programs in order to keep enough free to keep your device working...
    Totally agree. It's very, very easy to have many, many applications running and not even realize it until you learn that programs never really close. I use "SPB Pocket Plus" to make that "x" actually close programs instead of minimizing them. I can still minimize if I want to - "SPB Pocket Plus" is set up that way.
  4.    #4  
    Yea I agree and I keep an eye on it. I actually installed the program that closes them when you click the x. I had ZERO applications running earlier today and the phone has 1M free and shut down.
    Palm 700w
  5.    #5  
    Do text messages eat up the program memory? I have 14,000 text messages.
    Palm 700w
    Try "Magic button" http://www.trancreative.com/ScreenShots.aspx?code=mb

Windows setup
    http://www.trancreative.com/downloads/mb/mbsetup.exe

download directly with phone's browser.
    http://www.trancreative.com/download...on.PPC_ARM.CAB

Ever since I put this on, I am assured that the memory is always freed up and the application truly does close with the new bigger X. Also use "Oxios hibernate" (older version) programmed to my side button to free up the rest that WM5 does not give back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut33 View Post
    Yea I agree and I keep an eye on it. I actually installed the program that closes them when you click the x. I had ZERO applications running earlier today and the phone has 1M free and shut down.
    Another program to try is Memaid. It has a feature called "reclaim ram". this also may help you as ram is not always released back by the operating system. Not to repeat myself, but if you can get a wx you can kiss all these problems goodbye.
    Text messages, emails and email attachment are MB eaters.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.