1.    #1  
    Just put in a Sandisk 2G, copied an off the air recorded TV show to it. WMP plays it, but is way too jerky to watch. Audio is not bad, but the video looks more like a slide show. My thoughts are maybe the SD is too slow, or needs a larger buffer but don't know how to change that. Or, maybe the WMP sucks and there is a better viewer. Details from File Manager:

Audio: 128 kbps, 44kHz, stereo(A/V) 1-pass CBR
    Video CODEC: Windows Media Video V7
    Bit rate: 7646 kbpx
    File type: WMV
    Mike Caldwell
    Encode as an xvid/divx file and use TCPMP to play it.
  3.    #3  
    Installed the TCPMP player and replayed my file as-is with it, just to test for incremental improvment. Still jerky, so need to convert the file. I am unfamiliar with these file formats. Looking for a XVID or DIVX from WMP converter it appears that "AVI" is sort of a catch all, but what I look at includes such a long list that I can't tell either what I need or what I want as a result. Do you know of a file converter you can recommend? What file extension will the converted file have?
    Mike Caldwell
    Using a different player may not completely help. convert the video file into a lower Bit Rate and play it with TCPMP, that should do the trick.
    iPhone 8GB on T-Mo
    Also if you dont want to convert, recording in wmv at a lower bitrate will have the same effect. With a 240x240 screen the simplest way to reduce the bitrate is to reduce the resolution your video is in to the same.

Surur
    Lower the video bit rate to around 125 to 150kps. The one you are trying to play is over 7000kps and that's just too much too fast. I have several movies that I play (standard avi and wmv files) and that is the rates they play at. It will also take up less space. I have about 14 hours of video and it takes up less than 700k on my miniSD card.

7.    #7  
    Thanks fellas. Going pretty well now. I have a PC at a second home with a TV tuner in the PC that saves various shows to the HDD. It has an option to provide a smaller Divx in addition to the full resolution file, which I then transfer to my local PC overnight. Got Slingbox installed, but if I can have a show or two to watch while the Spousal Unit is in Gymboree I've got what I need!
    Mike Caldwell
    Also try PocketDivxEncoder to reduce file sizes, GREAT program.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Also try PocketDivxEncoder to reduce file sizes, GREAT program.
    What settings do you use for this program. First it asks what type of device I have not sure if I should select smart phone or pda. Also what video quality looks the best and did you change the frame rate or anything else? Also did anyone upgrade to the lathe program? is it any better or is the freeware just as good?

thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsaa View Post
    What settings do you use for this program. First it asks what type of device I have not sure if I should select smart phone or pda. Also what video quality looks the best and did you change the frame rate or anything else? Also did anyone upgrade to the lathe program? is it any better or is the freeware just as good?

thanks for the help
    I actually select PC, then I select the video I want to encode. I change the video quality to 20-24 depending on the video, and audio is usually 6-8.

Then I go to the output dimensions and I change it to 240x___ (whatever it scales to). This makes for an almost perfect encoded copy for the Treo.