1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have tried searching the forums and have not had much luck. I am trying to backup my phone so that I can do a hard reset and start over. The problem is that I have approximately 7,000 SMS mesages in my inbox and 7,000 in my outbox. Everytime I try to run SPB Backup it locks up. I've even tried leting it run overnight to no avail.

When SPB estimates the backup file size it comes to 23M. Is that too large? Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions as to how I can back these text messages up? Can I connect the phone to my PC and navigate to them somehow?

Thanks in advance...
    Palm 700w
    I'm a newbie to smartphones and the like, so be nice!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    are u using the threaded sms?
    I can tell you that using Sprite, my backup file is 22mb. So it doesnt sound like its a file size issue.
  4.    #4  
    No I'm not using threaded sms - at least I don't think so. I haven't made any changes to the way the messages are stored since I got the phone.

I've read about threaded SMS and I'm not 100% sure what it does.
    Palm 700w
  5.    #5  
    Does Sprite backup SMS messages?
    Palm 700w
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    i'm not sure how to back it up, but if you were the threaded sms all you have to do was copy one file.. Threaded sms just put all your message to one person in the same box instead of using the inbox that they give you.
  7.    #7  
    If I apply the threaded feature now, will it sort my old messages that way? Then I can copy files that I want by user right?
    Palm 700w
    I believe it gets rid of your old messaging files and replaces the core stuff with its own, so... no. You'd lose your messages, I think.
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    yea its too late you will lose ur messages
    This app says that it will back them up for you. I just found it so I can't tell you for sure if it's reliable or not?

http://freewareppc.com/database/pimbackup.shtml
  11.    #11  
    For those of you that have large backup files, how long should it take to run a backup of 22MB on a 700W?
    Palm 700w
    My average backup file is 27m, and it takes about 5-7 minutes to backup with Sprite. EVERYTHING backs up, AND restores after a HR, which I just did yesterday to move to a replacement phone.

The number of messages you have begs the question: WHY? These phones have limited storage; why are you saving 7000 SMS messages and 7000 emails? I read them and delete them!

I generally have a no more than a weeks worth of email and sms on the phone at any time.

Skip
  13.    #13  
    Well - 'why' is a very good question. I guess I naively thought it didn't matter. To clarify I don't have 7,000 emails. I have 7,000 'Sent' text messages and 7000 'Received' text messages. I only have 2 emails.

I didn't think it would cause a problem to keep them and the phone didn't ever prompt me to, so I just kept them all.

There are quite a few of the messages that I would like to keep and I don't really want to go through 14,000 messages 1 by 1. I'd like to just keep them all somewhere on my home pc and start over on my Treo.

Is there a way to to a bulk delete be sender or something?
    Palm 700w
    If you use a desktop email program, like Outlook. The next time you send messages, BCC: yourself. Then create a rule on your email program to move those emails from you to the sent folder. This way, you have a copy of all emails sent by you. As far as received mail, configure the email program to delete mail from the server after X amount of days. This way, all the sent/received emails will be on your computer, which would be easier to backup/restore.
  15.    #15  
    Actually, I found a program that will allow you to sync your text messages with your PC in an Outlook style manner. It will also download the files to your PC and sort them in a chat-like manner so that you get all of the messages to and from someone in one chat.

It's called Efficasoft Mobile Express. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Palm 700w
    Cool. I wonder if it works with the Threaded SMS app.
    I am using the threaded app.. Which file do i need to back up for the sms threading program to back up the texts.. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caretaker22 View Post
    I am using the threaded app.. Which file do i need to back up for the sms threading program to back up the texts.. thanks
    PalmMsgV001, which I think is in the \Windows folder.